WOW, follow up questions

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Now that I established these things are crazy expensive I have a few more questions.

I am only interested in the touring models. Only SkiDoo.
    Machine will be used for trail riding and speed doesn’t interest me.
    My guy mentioned you can get up to a 24″ wide track. I don’t foresee breaking new trails. Necessary or just a added expense?
    Is there ANY REASON not to lean towards a 4 stroke?
    I’m mid 60’s and out of shape. Anything I need to be aware of?
    My goal is to shoot some photo’s of winter landscapes. Are there any accessories I should consider to help with this?
    If I’m forced to go used are there any models & years I should be leery of? How about miles? My assumption a 4 stroke touring shouldn’t have been beat on so over 2,000 miles should be ok or are they wearing out at that point?

Big decision for me and any help anybody can offer is appreciated. applause

Coletrain27

Pretty much a Ford/Chevy debate on what brand and model to go with. Just keep in mind there are a lot of maintenance wear/tear things on sleds with the suspension, bearings and track.

4 strokes have perks but are also heavier. I rode sled for 25 years and always was a diehard Polaris guy but my last sled was a Yamaha 4 stroke and liked it but like I said it was heavy.

Me personally would never buy anything arctic cat after seeing all the trouble my relatives and friends have had with them but that’s just my opinion. Polaris and ski doo both make awesome sleds and there is a reason thats why you see so many of them on the trail.

At your age having a sled with reverse is a must. And I would not get a wide track

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

All I know is the reliability of the Ski doo 550 fan cooled motor is very good. I know you can get a used grand touring 550f for fractions of what a new sled costs. I know of 6 or 7 them around me here in Iowa, all used for ice fishing and trails up north and never heard of anybody having a break down. If I were in the market, that would be my choice. One of them was bought used in 2006, a 2003 with 2200 miles on it. That machine now has over 8000 miles and he has never even had to put a belt on it. He also says he is not sure how fast it goes but It gets to 40 MPH pretty quick. If you are not all about how fast, and more about how comfortable you are, they are hard to beat.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Coletrain27,

What year Arctic Cat’s and model have they had trouble with?

I have had quite a few Cat’s since 2004 and they have been pretty much problem free.

?????

A wide track is a bit more stable but a 24 “is unnecessary unless you ride off trail a lot and it adds weight. The expedition is a 20″ wide x 154”. Mine is a 900 ace turbo tons of power super smooth and quiet. So a regular ACE 900 would do fine. These 4 strokes are dependable but heavier but for trail riding at our age they are just fine. Great gas mileage between 15 and 20 MPG. New verses used is up to you. Bought from the right owner you are fine but a lot of the used ones were rentals so it can be a bit of a crap shoot. A sled like mine will outlast me so I went new. 14K out the door for a 2019 Skidoo Expedition 900 ACE Turbo, 2 up seat etc.. Then add boxes and other accessories and you dig deep into that retirement fund. Good luck!

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Dutch,

The only reason I see not to buy a 4 stroke is the extra weight. It isn’t a crazy amount heavier but if you get stuck it will be more work to get out. I know you say you plan to stay on the trail, but even if you pull off to the side or turn around someplace getting stuck happens quick.

Wide track is for breaking trail, going off trail, or towing heavy stuff. The wide track would help to not get stuck as easy, but if you did get it stuck it is just more weight to move around to get unstuck.

Let us know which model(s) and motors you are looking at.

Coletrain27

Coletrain27,

I have had quite a few Cat’s since 2004 and they have been pretty much problem free.

Mid 90’s through around 2005 I would say. Had a friend with a new 2012 have lots of clutch issues also from brand new.

Maybe the newer ones now are better but having seen all that put a bad taste in my mouth and will never own anything cat. Nothing against you if you want to buy/own cat, just my opinion

mojogunter

I don’t have any friends that run cats anymore, but through about 2010 if we made it through a trip where one of the cats didn’t have a breakdown it was an oddity. Maybe they are better now, but 10 years and longer ago the cats I was around had so many issues it was sickening. They were fast though and that is why many of the guys stuck with them for so long. They have all now either quit riding or switched brands. I would say the issues cat versus Polaris and Skidoo’s was about 10:1. My input on the original post is if you are just trail riding for the most part a 4 stroke would be fine. I know they are heavier, but in a trail application I don’t think it would matter. I hate the sound of a 4 stroke on a snowmobile though. I will admit I have never ridden a 4 stroke snowmobile, so I can’t say how they would be to ride in deep snow.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>arcticm1000 wrote:</div>
    Coletrain27,

Mid 90’s through around 2005 I would say. Had a friend with a new 2012 have lots of clutch issues also from brand new.

Maybe the newer ones now are better but having seen all that put a bad taste in my mouth and will never own anything cat. Nothing against you if you want to buy/own cat, just my opinion

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Dutch,
    I think you’re on the right track looking at Skidoo touring models. If you truly are going stick to the trails and won’t be busting deep power much, I’d say a 4 stroke and standard width track will work just fine. Touring models are long track anyway. As JBG stated, the 550 fan would do the job and you’d save some money going that route. I wouldn’t be afraid of a 5 year old machine with 2,000 miles, just look it over for signs of abuse. Was it stored inside? Insist on a compression test, especially the 2 stroke. Also, IMO, the idea that sleds have a crazy amount of maintenance is a little overblown. I rode for several years in my youngers days and beat the heck out them. Sure, we did some fixing, but I spent a lot more time riding than I did wrenching.

Necessary options for your use IMO are reverse, electric start, large windshield, passenger hand warmers (if you want your significant other along at all). Standard maintenance would include new belt & clutch cleaning (maybe every 2k miles or so), hyfax and wear rods (depends on snow cond), chaincase lube, chain tension, track tension.

blackbay
    mn

If you’re thinking of riding up at your place up north I would give serious consideration to a wide track or long track machine. Especially if you’re wanting to take picture because you’ll want to go offtrail. I’ve been riding that area for many years and if you get off the trails, especially on the lakes you can find yourself in some nasty slush. Flotation and horsepower is the difference between a cold wet walk and enjoying lunch at one of the resorts.

I think you’d get a better ride with an Expedition even at slow speeds rather than a Skandic, but I get the cost difference.

I’m a bit jealous. I’d live to get a new toy but Momma has other ideas.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Here’s my 2 cents

Don’t buy a widetrack unless you are using it for heavy utility work. They don’t ride nearly as nice on the trail and don’t offer any benefit unless you’re towing stuff or hauling a ton of gear / weight.

No reason not to buy a 4 stroke. I would definitely lean towards the 900 ACE.

Just get a small cargo box for a camera case. They make several linq models

I see rented skidoo 4 stroke machines with 10k miles on them for sale all the time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My goal is to shoot some photo’s of winter landscapes. Are there any accessories I should consider to help with this?

A good Canon DSLR.

Now back to my peanuts.

Jason

I would go with a Ski Doo Tundra Lt. Its fairly cheap and plenty big for any fishing rig setup. Its super light especially when you go with the 2 stroke option because that elimates the mechanical reverse. The ACE motors are good but they add extra weight.
    One bad thing is no pull start option on the ACE motors, if your battery is dead its a no go. The 2 strokes will pull start and get you home when its -20 degrees! I had a 2015 GSX 900 ACE that needed a jumpstart more that once. I have logged on approx 10k miles on 2 different 600 etecs since with no issues.

tswoboda

You’re definitely barking up the right tree. Ski Doo Grand Touring or Expedition models. GTs all come with 137″ tracks. Expy’s all with 154″ but width will vary from 16″, 20″, or 24″.

16×137 track is standard for 2up trail sleds and for the most part does fine on the lake as well.

16×154 will perform mostly the same on trail but offer additional flotation and traction off trail.

The 20″ WT and 24″ SWT both come with 2 speed gear boxes and are really meant for serious towing power/traction. Unless you’re planning to seriously work the machine, like constantly pulling a huge portable through deep snow, the widetracks are probably overkill.

Stay away from Skandics or Tundras. They both have narrow pogo stick front suspension that is great for low speed through the bush but tippy at higher speeds on the trail or lake.

Ski Doo Ace motors are sweet… sound and operate more like an ATV motor than the snowmobile we are all used to. Personally seen a 600 Ace start multiple mornings at -35F and the 900s are only supposed to be better with cold starts.

Look at the Ski Doo Grand Touring Sport or Expedition Sport. Super similar but the expedition is set up a little better for off trail. Get a 4stroke for sure, only reason to go 600 over the 900 should be cost.

catmando
    wis

I bought an Arctic Cat Norseman 600 C Tec 2 cyle long track made in St Cloud, its all the machine I need. Electric start plus pull-start, no worries about a cold morning somewhere not starting. A great utility machine.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Why only a mustard bucket?
    I know how nice they are but also usually cost the most.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Here’s my 2 cents

Don’t buy a widetrack unless you are using it for heavy utility work. They don’t ride nearly as nice on the trail and don’t offer any benefit unless you’re towing stuff or hauling a ton of gear / weight.

No reason not to buy a 4 stroke. I would definitely lean towards the 900 ACE.

Just get a small cargo box for a camera case. They make several linq models

I see rented skidoo 4 stroke machines with 10k miles on them for sale all the time.

x2, had a 900 Ace Renegade long track a great machine hard to get it stuck. Trouble fre and I. usually got 22 to24 mpg when just cruising . I’m. 75 and put on up to 2,500 miles a season.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.