Workbench failure.

• Deleted

It’s only been 26 months & the workbench is D.R.T.

Our Serta bed set failed, we are again and looking for options. What can you recommend for a firm memory foam type bed?

Based on the mattress finder tool at sleeplikethedead.com , we are looking at the Tempur-Pedic Contour line of mattresses. Anyone have experience with these? Wife and I both have spine issues. Hate to spend Tempur-Pedic money but I’d love a bed to last 10 yrs and not make our issues worse. Any of you bigger guys have this mattress? Good? Bad?

The Serta developed a ripple from one side to the other, that measures a 1 7/8” rut all the way across.

I hate shopping for mattresses – like I do shopping for cars! They all seem like overpriced junk.

Luckily I was able to get the Serta mattress warrantied thru menards, not the frame or box spring $ tho, so I now have an in-store credit for another project & I need to shell out again for a bed set.

Attachments:
    1. 5ABA8F66-E657-4184-B03C-CC11090D3226.jpeg

2. 30EE3C0C-7CEE-4C11-949F-B602919246F9.jpeg

404 ERROR
    MN

Nectar beds are great and the price is good. We’ve had our new bench for about 4 months and it’s the greatest thing to ever happen in the bedroom…their pillows are so-so, but the bed is outstanding.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

workbench failure!!!!!!!!!!!!! whistling whistling rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol devil jester jester

B-man

We have “The New” Purple mattress. Highly recommended.

Very comfortable and sleeps much cooler than traditional foam mattresses.

They have a 100 night trial. If you don’t like it, you get your money back and the mattress gets donated.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’ve got no experience with newer temperpedic beds, but I can say we have had ours now for 10 years and works just as well still. Has survived two moves (California king) only blemish to show for it is a broken wheel on the frame.

Since it’s basically a square at that size we rotate it 90 degrees twice a year which seems to help.

As for back issues I can’t say one way or the other as I started routinely going to the chiropractor maybe a year after we got it so hard to say which made the bigger difference.

Snake ii’s

Original Mattress Factory. Stop there and see/feel the difference. We’ve had ours ~ 4 years and LOVE it! Big plus – made in USA from USA sourced materials.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

We have “The New” Purple mattress. Highly recommended.

Very comfortable and sleeps much cooler than traditional foam mattresses.

They have a 100 night trial. If you don’t like it, you get your money back and the mattress gets donated.

This is what I ended up with as well. I’m about a year in now and I really like it.

I highly recommend using the fitted sheet they sell with it. It helps the mattress do it’s job. I hated the flat sheet with a passion though. Same stretchy material but it feels like you are a fish trapped in a gill net.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Serta Warranty? Most beds had a 25 year now I think they come with a 10 year.

Deleted

Serta Warranty? Most beds had a 25 year now I think they come with a 10 year.

Menards gives in store credit for the amount of the mattress if you have original receipt, cut the tags off the mattress and present them , along with pics of the measured defect. It has to be over 1 1/2” sag. It had a 10 yr warranty but I’m not sure at which point or if it does ? , it may go pro-rated at some point in the 10 yrs?

haleysgold
    SE MN

I have a Tempur-Pedic about 10 years old and hated since they day we got it.

I’m due for a new one and when I get time, I’ll be checking out the Sleep Sherpa Mattress Store in Edina. They have a lot of the beds on display you can only get On-line. They will help or order one you like.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this place. Now I just need to find the time to go there so I can dump my POS Tempur-Pedic. It’s too firm but some people like that, just not me.

zooks

Original Mattress Factory. Stop there and see/feel the difference. We’ve had ours ~ 4 years and LOVE it! Big plus – made in USA from USA sourced materials.

Our OMF bed was great for about 6.5 years, then just fell off a cliff and got rid of it ASAP. FYI we were denied our claim too as the sag wasn’t consistent/noticeable enough for them. I wasn’t surprised it got denied but still sucks with a bed that has a 10 yr warranty. We replaced it with cheap mattress right now but the Purple mattress looks very interesting and will probably go that route once we upgrade to full foam.

workbench failure!!!!!!!!!!!!! whistling whistling rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol devil jester jester

This was my first reaction, too! pretty good…

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

X2 – great mattresses at a fraction of the cost of big names.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Original Mattress Factory

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The FW and I have been kicking around the idea of a new mattress (moreso her than me, but she’ll win).

My coworker just went through this and said he’s buying a Winkbed hybrid.

Deleted

I’m due for a new one and when I get time, I’ll be checking out the Sleep Sherpa Mattress Store in Edina. They have a lot of the beds on display you can only get On-line. They will help or order one you like.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this place. Now I just need to find the time to go there so I can dump my POS Tempur-Pedic. It’s too firm but some people like that, just not me.

Are you a bigger human? Over 235lbs? Back problems ?

This is exactly what led me to think maybe I should get one?

We’re not set on T-P, certainly not thrilled about their prices. Just don’t know what other options are available for something that’ll last 10 yrs.

I have major spine problems and the wife has minor low back problems. We have heard that we might need a more firm type of mattress for that reason & also because I haven’t been 235 lbs since our first grandkid & they say anyone over 235 (or with back problems) needs a really firm mattress.

I’m really interested to see your recommendations & responses where you’ve had your mattress 5-10 yrs and especially if you are over 235lbs.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Sleep number then you both get what you want…..

Deuces

We just bought a bed. Hybrids are real nice, which is what we ended up with few months ago now. Only bed that I got on and didn’t make my back hurt on my side.

I spent no less than 3 hrs laying in beds. Go to slower stores, off times. Wear comfy pants and t-shirt. Just like a good rod, the bed will call to you when handled.

“Working” on a foam bench just didn’t sound appealing quite honestly either. Where’s the bounce back?

Sharon
    SE Metro

Billy and I used to have a memory foam bed, but we quickly learned how warm you’d get in those. But that was years ago, so now it sounds like they make some that don’t get so blasted warm. We ended up going with a Sleep Number bed and have had that now since 2011 or so. I could probably sleep on any mattress, but my husband Billy is a large, tall guy and his back health is very important. The advantage to the Sleep Number system is that you and your bed partner can adjust to your own liking for firmness, BUT you can also adjust it for yourself when your needs change! I had a bad stomach flu a while back and I actually adjusted my bed down to about 70 (I normally sleep at 90) and I slept much better. As I started to feel better from my flu, I noticed my back needing more support again and I bumped my way back up to 90. Billy adjusts his too from week to week and he’s usually in the 70s.

The best bed shopping advice – seriously hit up the stores and lay on the beds for a while. If anything it will narrow down your “oh hell no” options. We spend so much of our time sleeping (or we should be, anyway) so it’s important to get something that works for you. Every body is different and we all have different needs when it comes to our mattresses.

mike e

“Working” on a foam bench just didn’t sound appealing quite honestly either. Where’s the bounce back?

If that’s at or near the top of your list I would suggest an old water based bench. Ride the wave!

Foam does help keep the “work” from disturbing others..

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MAVERICK wrote:</div>

If that’s at or near the top of your list I would suggest an old water based bench. Ride the wave!

Foam does help keep the “work” from disturbing others..

is there even anything else on the list?

We got a Luft (hybrid) and love it so far but I doubt it will last 10 years.

Also a pointer guys. When the FW said she wanted to upgrade to a king bed I figured she had some fun stuff in store. Not true. She said our coast guard plate says “capacity 2” and she’s sticking to that! I wanted to come back with a smart remark
    about combined weight but I stopped while I was ahead.

B-man

We used to have a Sleep Number. Got it around 10 years ago and used it for 6-7 years.

To be honest I didn’t like it, but I’m sure they’ve gotten better.

It had separate chambers with a foam divider. The chambers would push apart from each other leaving a low spot in the middle. I got so fed up with it I finally ended up Gorilla gluing the two together. It was better, but you still had that “air mattress camping feeling.”

As I said, I’m sure they’ve improved.

After that we had a one sided traditional spring mattress, Sealy Posturepedic I believe. It was comfortable, but started to sag where you laid after a few years. My wife said it hurt her back so we were shopping once again.

We love the new Purple, hopefully it stands the test of time. That’s the only downfall of these new mattresses. Nobody knows for sure how long they will last for sure since they haven’t been around long.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’m 260 after a visit to the toilet and our T.P. has withstood me. I does get a bit warm, which is just fine for her as she sleeps under all the covers even in the hottest days of the year. I just sleep on top of the covers unless it’s really cold out and don’t get too warm. But I sleep hard, like the house could collapse and I’d still be asleep hard and could sleep on a rock if that’s what was available, I only really notice we aren’t on our temperpedic when go somewhere and sleep on one that’s not.

haleysgold
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>haleysgold wrote:</div>

Are you a bigger human? Over 235lbs? Back problems ?

This is exactly what led me to think maybe I should get one?

We’re not set on T-P, certainly not thrilled about their prices. Just don’t know what other options are available for something that’ll last 10 yrs.

I have major spine problems and the wife has minor low back problems. We have heard that we might need a more firm type of mattress for that reason & also because I haven’t been 235 lbs since our first grandkid & they say anyone over 235 (or with back problems) needs a really firm mattress.

I’m really interested to see your recommendations & responses where you’ve had your mattress 5-10 yrs and especially if you are over 235lbs.

I’m 6’2′, 215 lbs.
    It’s too warm even tho it supposed to have the cool something or other.
    I’m lucky to get 6 hours or so b4 my back hurts and I get up.
    It’s just too firm for me. Feels like I’m laying on the ground. They said it would loosen up but nope.
    I know some like that but but for us, we’re going to get something with more give to it.
    I think they do have a trial period. Wish we would have sent ours back.
    I am going to check out the adjustable beds. Don’t need much but I think lifting my head a bit would help.
    Honestly, I don’t think the memory foam is that great. Will probably go back to a more traditional spring type bit not sure.
    This time around after about 60 days and I don’t like it, it’s going back.
    I hate bed shopping!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This is what I did. They have most beds including Purple. This is where you want to go if you want to try them out.

Keep in mind that the Purple is not really a memory foam bed. In the new ones there is memory foam under the Purple grid but it doesn’t feel anything like a foam bed whatsoever. I’m a year in and there isn’t the slightest sag. If you sleep hot, this is the coolest bed out there.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’ve heard good thing from the purple mattress.

We have about a 5 y/o temprapedic and love it. I have back problems and sleep great on it. It did take a good 6mos to a year to really break it in as they are pretty stiff when buying new.

huntinforfish

Switched from Tempupedic to Purple 4 months ago. Love the new mattress. Haven’t slept this well in years. Macys in Roseville has all the models and I think HOM stores have them as well. The new ones have three or four different firmness levels. Highly recommend the sheets as well. We paired our with a power base also. I have had low back issues for 15 years. I thought the power base was a joke, but the pressure relief when you find you sweet spot is amazing. We only have the mattress flat for side sleeping and “work”.

Deuces

Is that “zero gravity” position with the movable base as freaking awesome as I thought it was in store. Never did pull the trigger on that.

Deleted

Thanks everyone. Was going to check out a bunch of the ones recommended here but we ended up getting this one from Costco last night. 14” memory foam king bed, made by sleep innovations, in the USA. It was $140 off the $700 price. 20 yr warranty. They also had Casper beds at Costco for the first time. Slept on it last night already & so far, we like it.

Attachments:
    1. 2D7D94A1-1707-4DBE-AC14-F08DD9B99C32.png

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The FW stopped in at the Sleep Sherpa last night. I’d highly recommend it. I think I am going to order a Luft today.

Beds are so personal–what works for one person is terrible for the next. I didn’t like the Purple at all. There was one bed that I thought was terrible, and the sales guy replied, “Really, that’s what I have.” )

Deleted

A full week break-in and I give the new workbench two thumbs up. Wife & I are both pretty happy with it. It’s so comfortable & quiet. Surely our adult millennial kid across the hallway can sleep a little easier too. Was lucky enough to find a family member that wanted the old set for a spare bedroom.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.