work boot recommendation

• Coletrain27

Don’t switch. The red wings proved them selves. Always do. Unless you are cheap and buy the Chinese built red wings. Then they are trash to begin with.

I agree with this. I’m due for a new pair soon

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Don’t switch. The red wings proved them selves. Always do. Unless you are cheap and buy the Chinese built red wings. Then they are trash to begin with.

That’s pretty much the conclusion I’ve come too.

@bearcat89
    Have you been to Peterson’s Mill in North Branch? Says they carry Redwings there? Never knew they had them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

@bearcat89
    Have you been to Peterson’s Mill in North Branch? Says they carry Redwings there? Never knew they had them.
    [/quote]

Yup I just bought some new 2408s there last week. They have a good selection.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Yup I just bought some new 2408s there last week. They have a good selection.

Perfect! I’ll be swinging in after work. yay Need some new 3504’s

Deuces

Will never go back to a traditional boot, keen work shoe/boot are the real deal. Breathable, soles dont wear out, lighter, more comfortable, technology is a wonderful thing.

Leather boot = vexilar

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Will never go back to a traditional boot, keen work shoe/boot are the real deal. Breathable, soles dont wear out, lighter, more comfortable, technology is a wonderful thing.

Leather boot = vexilar

The keens absolutely awful around and in the concrete.i tried them for a short while because I got a deal through the union. So I guess I’ll stick with the vexilar. Now if I was on a nice flat surface all day everyday I may see your point. The work shoe will never replace a work boot in the field it’s meant for.
    They each have a place they excel in. But in my line of work, work shoes are a no go.

Deuces

What were the cons of them on Crete? Not easy to wash off? Too much tread that makes em sticky? Just curious. They are essentially a beefed up hiking boot so any uneven surface they grab like nothing else out there.

duh queen

The most comfortable, out of the box boot I’ve ever had were Worx boots by Redwing. That said, I had issues with seams unraveling around the heel. They got fixed under warranty. The next pair I bought I applied superglue to every seam before oiling them up. That solved the seam issue. They’re of Chinese or other Asian manufacture. But boy are they comfortable.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What were the cons of them on Crete? Not easy to wash off? Too much tread that makes em sticky? Just curious. They are essentially a beefed up hiking boot so any uneven surface they grab like nothing else out there.

The soles are great, but I’m in piles of rubble all day and the material is to weak, they tear easily. The waterproofing wore out really fast and they are just not a boot as needed in the industry. The slurry I deal with wares them out to fast ( dries them out ). For at home I don’t mind them, but my red wings are just better all around in my world. There are more work boot style keens, but the specs are very similar to the boots I’ve been rocking for years. So I’m not sure where the technology has evolved them. I’m sure there is pros and cons of both. But for the last 12 years I haven’t had any cons on my 2408s besides being 300 bucks.

Henpecked

Best most comfortable boot I’ve ever worn is Meindl.

Deuces

Thanks bear, I like to recommend stuff I thoroughly enjoy but don’t want to put it out to wrong crowds

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I got a pair of Carhartt ASTM F2413-18 boots about a year ago. I only wear them for outdoor work (not my full time job). They are comfortable and no complaints so far

Coletrain27

Thanks bear, I like to recommend stuff I thoroughly enjoy but don’t want to put it out to wrong crowds

My brother is a tile setter and prefers keen boots. The toes seem to hold up great for him

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I wound up buying Kennetrecks Corrie 2.0 boots and a pair of Crispi boots. Neither are steel toe and both are a hunting or hiking style boot. So far they are both very good boots.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do you have a pair you would recommend for grouse hunting boots ? I need a pair of those

Deuces

Others gonna need to chime in for ya I’m not a hunter.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I used to run red wing exclusively until they first moved production of my favorite style to China, then discontinued it altogether.

Now I work a white collar job but I still have several pairs of boots from the past. My absolute favorite now is the Thorogood Emperor toebox, with composite toe. This provides the hard toe protection and offers a huge toe box, so I can wear these in the winter with thick wool socks and not feel cramped. A wonderful, American-made boot.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Do you have a pair you would recommend for grouse hunting boots ? I need a pair of those

I have a pair of RW Wingshooters, I think it’s this model, but can double check. They are the most comfortable footwear I own, including tennis shoes. I walk 3 miles in a WMA almost everyday and wear these 90% of the time.

https://www.irishsetterboots.com/hunting-boots/shop-by-family/wingshooter/Wingshooter-00894.html?cgid=wingshooter

The_Bladepuller
    South end

I started out with the RW Irish Setters as a young carpenter. The OEM soles wore out in less than a year but I knew that going in and had them resoled with a tougher material. Not having a heel was important to me. I did a fair amount of work at elevation. Ironworkers, as a general rule, also don’t have heels on their boots since they can be a trip hazard.
    I had a pair of pullons if I knew I was going to be welding / torch burning so there was no moccasin stiching to burn thru.
    After quiting doing Supt. work I’d take gigs building scaffold at Monticello Nuke plant. Having to have safety toes & having to pass thru metal detectors at access I used a composite RW King Toe that was not likely US made but Xcel had a vendor that accepted a company issued chit as payment.
    I still have Irish Setters that are 30 years old. Well worn and broken in.😉

Jesse D.

Ever thought about giving other brands a shot? Timberland and Wolverine are popular picks among some folks, they might offer the comfort and durability you’re looking for.

Deuces

This thread is a couple years old, with that said I haven’t strayed from Keens line of work shoes/boots. Great footwear.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

An arborist who gave me a bid said his Timberland Pro Series were the best he’s owned in 20 years.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Still loving my red wing 2408s, best damn boot on the market.
    For a at home boot I went with a soft soled thorogood, made in the USA 250 bucks and I really like them. They are steel toe because that’s all that I buy. Very comfortable

big_g
    Isle, MN

As a taxpayer.. ANYBODY wearing any “WORK” boots is fine with me whistling smash peace rotflol

Ellenson

Redwing 608s (soft toe) for anything outside of my day job and Redwing 2408s (steel toe) at work with 12 hours on concrete. My company just made Met Guards mandatory so now I’m trying Redwing 4433s. Like all redwings, they take time to get break in.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Redwing 608s (soft toe) for anything outside of my day job and Redwing 2408s (steel toe) at work with 12 hours on concrete. My company just made Met Guards mandatory so now I’m trying Redwing 4433s. Like all redwings, they take time to get break in.

What are met guards?
    Never mind I looked it up.

walleyesforme

We were recently required to wear metguard boots where I work. Got a pair of carhartt slip on boots when they implemented the new requirement just over a year ago and can say they are the most comfortable boots I’ve had in my 14 years there. The fact they lasted a year is amazing in itself considering what they go through. Usually boots last about 8 months give or take in my work environment. Pretty sad my local retailer doesn’t have them anymore. Going to have to search the internet for another pair soon.

B-man

I’ve heard good things about the Timberland PRO Men’s 6″ Pit Boss Steel Toe boots. They’re supposed to be really comfy and last a long time. They’ve got this soft part around the ankle and a special system to make standing all day easier. Plus, they don’t slip easily.The Keen Utility Men’s Atlanta Cool Steel Toe Work Shoes are a bit different since they’re more like shoes than boots. But I’ve heard they’re great for walking and standing on concrete floors. They let your feet breathe and have a soft insole.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240410-182019-1.png

LabDaddy1

B-man… does that stand for bigot-man? Can we please leave internal components out of the discussion?

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.