work boot recommendation

• jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I have worn Red Wing work boots since I had my first job at a mechanics shop at the age of 14. I buy 3 or 4 pairs of boots a year and never wear a pair 2 days in a row. The boots I order are $219 bucks and the last 2 pair have been clunkers. Just not as comfortable as I am accustomed to. I work on concrete most of the time and walk alot, often carrying around 10 or 15 pounds. What are you guys doing for boots these days?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Red Wings is all I have worn for years. 2408s I believe

Red Eye

Always had cheap Wolverines. Splurged on my first pair of Red Wings a few years back. I swear it took 6 months for those boots to break in. They held up well but won’t put myself through that again. Currently wearing Carolinas. Holding up well. Will probably buy them again.
    Get your feet measured. I had wore a size 13 since I was 15 years old. Went to Boot Shack in St.Cloud. He measured me at a 14. If you can get by the guys arrogance, he does know what he’s doing. Big selection of sizes.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Last 5 pairs I have bought have been Danner Vicious NMT (non metallic toe). Comfortable right out of the box and are fairly durable for the use I put them through (concrete/steel grading). I’ve had both the 4.5 inch and 8 inch version, I prefer the 4.5. That said, I’ve never been able to find a pair of red wings that fit the way I would like.

Deuces

My last red wings didn’t last few months. BS

Trying out a keen steel toe for a month now, guy said they are made of more durable sole material. We’ll see, certainly more comfortable than any work boot.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Not sure why I did not look to Danner boots. I have a few pair of hunting boots and thats pretty much what I have worn for outdoors recreation for all my life. I will be trying them next.

Wildlifeguy

I’ve gone back and forth between Keens and Caterpillar the last few years. I can’t bring myself to spend more than about $150 on boots I know I’ll be replacing every year, as roofs are hard on the uppers no matter the brand. Sole wise, I’ve had good luck with the heavy duty Keens, I can’t remember the model off hand, just not the hiking boot looking ones. The Cat uppers seem to last longer for me. Comfort wise, the Keens are the best out of the box, but I have flat feet so I put orthotics in all of the them anyway.

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

Another vote for the Keen

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Pencil me in as another person who has moved on from Red Wings. They used to be a 3-4 year boot for me (I don’t wear them daily except in the summer at my second jobs). Now they’re 2 years tops and limping through the second year while costing more than comparable boots.

On a whim, I decided to give some Timberlands a shot. They were $180 I believe. I figured if I was going to be replacing them just as often, I might as well try to save $100 a pair. Much to my surprise I fully expect them to survive a third summer of work this year for sure.

For reference of what I use my boots for… I do sub contracting work on the side that involves a little of everything and flipping houses, work in the lumber yard a couple days a week when they’re swamped, and cut a pile of wood in them all mostly during the summer. They are rarely worn after the snow flies until things dry out in the spring as my other job involves dress shoes.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

Check out the Thorogood boots made in my home town Merrill Wi.by Wienbrenner Shoes. We were able to buy them right from the factory. They now have a factor outlet store next to the factory. I did road work and they held up really good. They make a lot of military, fire and police boots also. Fleet Farm sells some of their boots also.

Attachments:
    1. 5AF628BA-FD5B-4EAA-A4C8-48C9BEB654A8.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The guys who are having red wing issues, are they Chinese made ? All but a handful of red wings are now Chinese and the quality is not there.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’ve had Red Wings for 15 years. I buy the 3504’s and they last me almost 3 years. I wear these things everywhere! Around the yard, at work, grouse hunting, etc. I agree with getting your foot sized correctly. I had issues with my feet hurting for quite a few years. Went and got my feet sized correctly and found the problem. I have a size 10.5 foot, but a size 12 arch in the foot. So I get size 12B (narrow) boots and they fit great, my feet rarely ever get sore unless literally standing in the same spot on concrete for hours, which is rare.

The guys who are having red wing issues, are they Chinese made ? All but a handful of red wings are now Chinese and the quality is not there.

X2. I didn’t know Red Wing made a $200 boot.. Could be Chinese. Mine were $360 to my door and say Made in the USA right on the tongue.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I agree with getting your foot sized correctly.

As we age your arches tend to drop and your feet widen out so it is very important to get the right sized footwear. Last boots I bought were Danner’s, bought a size bigger because they fit better and have no regrets.

milemark_714

Work in a machine shop,and see how long those pricey boots last.I always bought the cheap ones like Texas Steer,and wore good socks with them.I got 18 months out of one pair of K-Mart cheapies.I am not against spending good cash for boots,but not when oil/coolant is involved.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Work in a machine shop,and see how long those pricey boots last.

I do.. But, I also sweep almost daily so I’m not walking on piles chips all week. Coolant doesn’t seem to bother them too bad. If anything, it water proofs them even more.

LabDaddy1

^He’s right. I finally bought a pair of red wings a couple years back(dont remember the model, 6” ST at about 220$) to see what the hype was all about. Wasn’t happy with them. Then heard about the Chinese thing and went to look at the tongue tag and sure enough- made in China… The soles were worn out and uppers/toe falling apart in a year and a a half or so.

So if you go that route, make sure you buy “made in USA” models.

I recently bought a pair of keens but returned them because the boot was SO top-heavy. Must have been some good steel…lol. Never felt a boot that out of balance before. Now my keen hiking boots on the other hand, most comfortable, nice, lightweight boot I’ve ever worn.

Replaced the keens with a pair of merrell composite toe work boots and they are alright, but don’t like a few aspects of them. Wouldn’t buy them again, at least this model.

In years past doing steelwork I wore out a couple pair of CAT steel toes and can’t really knock em. They lasted a couple years each and were very affordable.

deertracker

I’m in the office now pushing paper so don’t wear boots like I used to but when I did, I put them on a boot dryer every night. Seemed to make the insides last a lot longer. And they didn’t smell anymore. waytogo
    DT

LabDaddy1

I’m in the office now pushing paper so don’t wear boots like I used to but when I did, I put them on a boot dryer every night. Seemed to make the insides last a lot longer. And they didn’t smell anymore. waytogo
    DT

Those peat dryers are a godsend. I use mine year round. Lots when bird hunting, but also many nights after work cuz my feet sweat a lot.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Not sure why I did not look to Danner boots. I have a few pair of hunting boots and thats pretty much what I have worn for outdoors recreation for all my life. I will be trying them next.

I give another vote for the Danner Vicious boot (had 5 pairs usually get 1.5yrs of 5 days a week 10+ hrs a day of use. Like Zach said they are comfortable right out of the box. I get mine at Scheels, they are also on shoes.com and when they have a 30% off sale (which is quite often) I show the guy at scheels the price and they price match.

B-man

A lot of guys including myself have been switching over to safety toe “sneakers.”

They’re incredibly light and meet the standards of most companies policies. They utilize a carbon fiber toe instead of steel to cut weight, along with high density foam/rubberized soles instead of solid clunky rubber.

They feel like your wearing a normal pair of shoes.

I love them when it’s above freezing. You can glue on some toe caps when they’re new to get more life out of the toe leather (if you’re on your knees a fair amount).

Here’s the ones I use. Hytest also makes non-waterproof safety shoes that breath more.

Work “boots” are a thing of the past for me when I don’t need insulation.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210405-181510.png

Coletrain27

That’s the truth, Ive wore red wings wings for for over 20 years. These are my second pair of these and there 100% made in the US but they are expensive. The last 4-5 pair I had before these were model 2212. I’ve had other models also. My work pays for my boots so it’s not coming from my pocket. My brother lays tile for a living so he goes through boots like crazy and he now swears by keen for durability and comfort. Next pair I may try a pair of keens

Attachments:
    1. image-1-scaled.jpg

Mike

Been very happy with my Keens, the Mt. Vernon model specifically. Last pair lasted just over 2 years. Most of my work is indoors but do have the occasional outdoor call, these boots are a good mix of warm enough for the winter but not too hot for the summer. Waterproofing hold up well to getting soaked in oil, and the sole was pretty grippy on oily surfaces until it got worn down towards the end of year 2.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Work in a machine shop,and see how long those pricey boots last.I always bought the cheap ones like Texas Steer,and wore good socks with them.I got 18 months out of one pair of K-Mart cheapies.I am not against spending good cash for boots,but not when oil/coolant is involved.

I remember those boots. Heck of a boot for $29. Ma worked at Kmart and got em cheaper with blue light special. Times sure have changed.

Got my first Red wings last summer. Took a while to find a boot that fit right at the store. Went with traditional leather. Hard to break in but doing good now. Will see if they make it through a full season of landscaping. Lot of brick on sand patio install so the boot uppers and sole get a work out.

Both caterpillar and thouroghgood boots from fleet farm didn’t last a summer. Danners were extremely comfortable but didn’t last a full year.

sktrwx2200

Keens. Most comfortable if you need toe or met guards.

catnip
    south metro

I wore redwings for 15 years. I wore them 365 days a year and did everything in them from work to hiking and playing in the snow and riding motorcycles. I would get 1 year per pair. Then 4 times now they have discontinued the boots that I was wearing. After the first time all the replacement boots were not made in America anymore and don’t hold up the same. I have tried Carolinas, keeps, Morrell, cat,Justin twisted x and a bunch more I can’t remember. I am about to say the heck with it and go with a pair of nicks or White’s. People say the break in time is super long but once broken in you actually have to remember to take them off before you go to bed! Has anyone here ever had them?

tominblaine

Thorogood Boots for me too for years, used both the regular and lower cut, I’ve tried most except the Keen’s, can’t see myself looking for anything else.

Tom

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Bringing this back to the top. My Redwings are finally done after 4 years of everyday use. It’s tough for me to even look at another boot since Redwings have been so good to me & my feet. But, The question looms, is there a cheaper alternative?

I’ve done a little digging and wondering if anyone has tried, specifically, the Brunt brand? The company is fairly new but claim to build boots for the blue collar working man. For half the price of Redwings, I’d be willing to give them a try if I knew of a few real life testimonials. So, Has anyone bought a pair of Brunt Boots? What’s your thoughts?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Bringing this back to the top. My Redwings are finally done after 4 years of everyday use. It’s tough for me to even look at another boot since Redwings have been so good to me & my feet. But, The question looms, is there a cheaper alternative?

I’ve done a little digging and wondering if anyone has tried, specifically, the Brunt brand? The company is fairly new but claim to build boots for the blue collar working man. For half the price of Redwings, I’d be willing to give them a try if I knew of a few real life testimonials. So, Has anyone bought a pair of Brunt Boots? What’s your thoughts?

I see them pop up on social media often with targeted advertisements. After clicking on them I got the vibe they were more of a “look at my work boots” type of product based on fashion…but I could be wrong. They kind of fit in the market with those “dirty hands, clean money” hats everyone is now wearing. If you have to advertise how blue collar you are, then you don’t probably fit my definition of blue collar.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I see them pop up on social media often with targeted advertisements. After clicking on them I got the vibe they were more of a “look at my work boots” type of product based on fashion…but I could be wrong. They kind of fit in the market with those “dirty hands, clean money” hats everyone is now wearing. If you have to advertise how blue collar you are, then you don’t probably fit my definition of blue collar.

I kinda thought the same thing.. That’s exactly why I’m looking for real world experience. The price throws me off too as far as quality goes. But if there are a few guys here who have tried them & approved, I’d be willing to give them a shot. They also don’t have the EXACT size I need..

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Don’t switch. The red wings proved them selves. Always do. Unless you are cheap and buy the Chinese built red wings. Then they are trash to begin with.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.