Tonka Report?

• skeeter
    West Metro

I am headed out to Tonka Sunday morning to try my luck for a couple eyes… just wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction? Talked to a couple guys who have caught a few at dusk in Excelsior bay… but what about the morning bite? Any tips would be appreciated. I will let you know how Sunday goes. Thanks!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve heard rumors of fish being caught in Wayzata. I have not been on the ice yet.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I was going to give it a try, but only had 2″ of ice in my best spot so I left. Let us know how it goes.

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

Been out every night on the west end. Ice is already 8″ thick. Some fish but not the usual first ice amount. With ice this thick I’m moving deeper and steeper – looking like eyes in Smithtown/Islands area are already in mid-winter mode. As to bait, big shiners under tipups have outdone jigging.

skeeter
    West Metro

Thanks guys… I will let you know how it goes. I am trying to get out tomorrow morning too!

skeeter
    West Metro

Well, we made it out early on Sunday morning… caught a couple walleyes(14″ and 16″)and several snakes. The action wasn’t too good. Just about all of the fish came between 6:45 and 7:30. After that, it was all dink perch. We put the camera down for a while- man there are a lot of perch down there! Anyone else get out?

skeeter
    West Metro

Anybody else been out?

toddberghoff
    Prior Lake

I was out last Sat/Sun with a couple buddies and we managed 5 nice walleyes over the 2 days. 18-23 inches and all looked like footballs. Depths ranged from 24-30ft on buckshot rattle spoons and jigging raps.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I jumped in a buddies house today for a couple hours on the west side. He was set up on a rock finger that goes from 10′ to 19′. He is averaging 2+ walleyes per night per person, and like Mr Breeze said they are footballs. There is a lot of perch on the camara.

skeeter
    West Metro

Doesn’t anyone make it out anymore? LOL I made it out again out of Excelsior Bay… apparently someone told somebody they were biting out there! There were plenty of fishermen… but no walleyes! Between a few hours on Friday night, and most of the day Saturday we managed to get a whole 3 walters…
    I think I need to scope out a new area… hmmm.
    On a brighter note- I hear they been getting some crappies out on Waconia. Another fish house city over there too I’m sure.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Skeeter,

It seems like the east bays get all the attention, which is fine since I like the west. I went to Cook’s last night and managed 5 walleyes for 2 guys. Not great numbers, but respectable. It you can get a hold of the 1′ contour map, look for almost any point dropping into deep water. Some of the more subtle points are the best.

skeeter
    West Metro

Thanks Mike… I will give that a try. I am not able to get out as much as i’d like to… so I might not be able to make it out until Thursday. I am headed up to Mille Lacs for the weekend- pretty pumped about that.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Off the subject a bit, but last Tuesday on my way home from work, just east of the Arcola bridge, there was a mule 4-wheeler that had fallen through the ice. The sheriffs were on site, but hadn’t made it down to the ice yet. The two guys were walking beside the mule kind of scratching their heads. Didn’t look good to me!!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

There’s a lot of water flowing between some of those bays. Definatly not a lake to drive around on without checking things out first.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.