Minnetonka Musky Question

• Hillbiehle

Perhaps this is a dumb question… But on Minnetonka, I’m struggling to find the 45″ or bigger musky’s. I seem to be the only one out there not consistently throwing the magnum stle lures out there, and am thinking that this may be my problem. Or perhaps, just need to continue sorting through the smaller ones. Thoughts?

Bullet21XD

They died.

At least a few have.

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

Patience grasshopper….I haven’t moved a fish in the last 4 trips but those 50 degree water temps are getting closer and it will time for the big girls. Regarding throwing the new magnum sized lures, it’s all about feeding windows and location. The size of your lure is way down the list but if it makes your feel better then throw some. I have caught more than few mid 40s on 1/4 oz jigs or HJ12s in the fall. If the musky is feeding it will hit almost anything.

FishAddict21
    Bloomington, MN

dont worry, i went out last tuesday morning at Tonka and got a nice healthy 47″ then had another follow that was ATLEAST that big. all on smaller “lures” hehe been out four times since then and havent gotten anything since for muskie. So they are definetly heatin up and starting to get them bellies filled up! man i love this time of year!

haner

i usually never toss small baits. been tossing big baits on tonka and havent had a follow the last 3xs out????? i was thinking of down sizing and burning baits???? was out Sat, tried 2to4 fow, tried edge, tried off the edge, trolled open water, nothin. fished 10 hours too, so, u gotta hit a window, and they are stingy windows out there.

FishAddict21
    Bloomington, MN

yah same thing as of the past few days. i can seem to get them on anything at all. anyone else been out for any skiis lately and having any luck??

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

We fished 4 hours last weekend and had one 41 in and one 50+ follow. Both were between 8 and 9 AM. Mag dogs and deep weed edges.

Hillbiehle

Thanks for the replys. I’ve gotten 3 in the past 6 or 7 outings. Again, the sizes are small, 31″, 32″, 39″. All caught in less than 7′. I had a couple of follows from some bigger fish, but I can’t get them to connnect. Forcing myself to throw some bigger baits, I spent Sunday evening with Lot of Luck, methodically trying to pick apart some of the main lake/deep water breaks in search of some bigger fish and didn’t see anything the entire evening.

fishing vet
    Blaine, MN

I have been out there the past couple of weeks bass fishing and have been seeing quite a few 45-50 in skies. We caught 2 over 43 last saturday prefishing for the Viking Invetational. These were caught on white swim frogs.

markmoran
    Rochester MN

Any suggestions a buddy is heading up to Tonka to throw for some musky and any tips at all, lures spots? weeds lines deep structure? anything at all thanks

gary_wellman
    South Metro

To be honest;
    There is a very large muskie population on Minnetonka. To fish it, use “text book” methods. With the massive milfoil flats, work the edges that holds close to deeper water. Where you find bass and walleye, along with sunnies and crappies, there are muskies.

Looking at a Minnetonka map, there is a TON of structure to fish. That is what makes it one of my favorite metro lakes to fish, the structure is never-ending!!!! While some spots hold more fish than others, or hold bigger fish that others, work the lake with the basic “musky man mind thinking” and you will score!

If your buddy is able to “read a map”, it actually becomes hard to narrow down all the great spots to fish.

PS: The best “secret” I can give you about fishing this lake, is this: The lake is generally “clear” water. Boat control is CRITICAL!!!!!!! If you move the boat “too close” to the habitat that the fish lives in, move on, because you just goofed your odds of hooking that fish that resides in the location you are casting. While most “clear water” lakes holds muskies deeper, Minnetonka does hold some sows in shallower water ( in terms of clear water fishing ). With that said, if you boat comes in “too close” to the weedline, game over………move on to the next spot, because again, the fish that resides in the structure you are fishing just got pushed off.

Does this make sense???

markmoran
    Rochester MN

great sense! Thanks for the info

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.