Lake Wissota report

• bigpike

Well fishing here seems to be in the mid winter blahs, worked yesterday out from the View on Little Wissota. Crappies in 40′ of water, waxies or minnows seem to be an even spilt on preference, I caught about two fish an hour. Some being real nice keepers others being throw backs, I did catch enough for a nice meal of pan fried crappie last night, yum. I hope to go the Yellow River area tommorow and find out whats going on the other side of the lake, rumor has it the crappies have been hitting up there. If you want to fish this area just look were the shacks are and set up in that area, the fish seem spread out and the guys I talked to were all getting some action.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Nice report bigpike, thanks for the update. At what depth are those fish in 40′ suspended at, or does it tend to vary? How deep of water are they fishing up near the Yellow River. Thanks again for the info.

bigpike

They are kissing the bottom, I keep my bait 4-6″ off the bottom, when i see activity on my 3x I pull to see if they’ll move up, usually then they’ll bite. I’m not sure whats going on up on the yellow(other than they are catching crappies). Looks like if I make it up there it will be Friday morning, I’ll post any results. Thanks

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

Just curious, you guys ever get any of those big smallies through the ice? All this talk of Wissota has me thinking about summer topwater fishing. There is almost nothing better than a big smallie blowing up on a top water first thing in the morning! Sorry, guess I kind of got sidetracked there!

bigpike

I seem to catch more Musky by accident than on purpose when I fish Wissota, usually throwing cranks for smallys around bridges. It is a real great fishery for alot of species. I’ve never caught a smallie through the ice though or a ‘ski. There is a pretty good population of channel cats and sturgeon. So many fish species so little time…….

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I also heard they were catching some nice crappies during the evening hours on
    the small lake. I may give it a try on Saturday evening if all goes well. Anyone
    want to meet out there for a little fishing. Steve

bigpike

I wish I could meet you there Lienieman but I have this work thing going on starting tomorrow night, My best bite came between 1-2:30. I didnt stay till dark so I’m not sure what goes on late, good luck!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

After reading Coots last fishing report I may run up to Bone lake and give it a
    try for a batch of perch skillet fillets. Work that does get in the way now and then.
    Steve

DONOTDELETE

On the little lake, there is a point on the north side with a large willow tree. Between there and along the shore till those condos are good for walleye and bass. Just past that tree is a stick pile. We were getting 10+ inch crappies out of there last year. I dont live on the point no more, so I will share the spot with yall.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.