Wissota Ice

• Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I decided to start a new thread to track the progress of the ice conditions.

My bay in the Yellow River is making some good progress. Not ready to be walked on. What is odd is that the edges aren’t froze up. The ice looked opaque which would indicate to me that some snow got mixed in when it froze up, which isn’t good.

I hope to be able to walk out there next week.

Sully

bigpike

Please keep us up to date Jason, I would like to get out next Thursday or Friday, THANK YOU

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I think this goes without saying but the big lake and the little lake don’t look anywhere close to being skimmed over. This is from my view by the View.

I’m taking the little lady to Connells tonight so I’ll see if the back bays of the little lake are skimmed over yet.

Tomorrow I’m going to try Marsh Miller for the heck of it.

Sully

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Hey, report on Marshmiller. I fished Half Moon in EauClaire today, little bluegills and thats it. Some people were gittin nice crappies.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

There was a good gill bite early Saturday. I missed it. The bite was from 7 to 8. I did hit a decent bite from 11:30 to Noon when the sun went behind the clouds. I hit it early on Sunday and it wasn’t very good. I had to work to get a few for the fry pan.

The ice is skimmed over in the back bays of Little Wissota.

I have a feel there may be folks able to walk out on the yellow river portion this weekend. I didn’t see anyone out there is past weekend.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

When the ice gets a little thicker I’m ready for a little after work fishing on Wissota. Steve

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Steve, I’m glad to hear there is an evening bite on Wissota. I usually hit the road and travel to fish on the weekends and was hoping I would be able to fish Wissota after work during the week.

This is good news!

Sully

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Boy, with that strong north wind on Sunday, I wouldnt cont on an early freeze but you never know.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I was driving to work on Monday morning and saw white caps on the big lake.

I drove to work on Tuesday morning and there was a good skim of ice on the entire lake. The only spot that isn’t covered with ice right now is a small spot kinda by High Shores where a raft of ducks is keep a spot open.

I have to think someone has ventured out on the Yellow River, but I can’t confirm that yet.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Yeah when I drove by The View this past Sunday, there were alot of white caps too.

bigpike

Fished the little lake this morning, 3-5 inches of ice all the across the lake, the fishing sucked, 1 gil 1 crappie.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Thanks for the report.

Did you mark many fish?

Did it look like others were out there over the weekend?

Sully

bigpike

Actually I was not marking very many fish, it looked like I was the first one to venture out across the channel but really it was hard to tell with the fresh snow, I came across no sign of other fishermen. I worked from 20-40′, it was very hard for me to get around, I brought the wrong cleets, I would suggest long ones, I brought my short ones and with the snow on the glass like ice I could not get traction to move easily. Live and learn….

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Did you fish the little lake at all? My old man used to live off of ‘Poor Mans Point’ as locals call it. Im just wondering how the little lake is for ice now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.