Wisconsin backchannel question

• eyeguy507
    SE MN

For you river rats familiar with the backchannel. At what stage is it safe to tear through that cut? Looks like the guage is around 8ft so I assume its good? I have really only fished as far as the power lines in past years and it got super shallow so I didn’t want to chance it.
    Is this considered 3rd cut going down river? At least that is what I have always called it.

Attachments:
    1. 20210325_165122.jpg

2. 20210325_165238.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

At what stage is it

safe

to tear through that cut?

shock

Don’t be in a hurry to go places you haven’t gone before. Take you time.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Thats 5th cut… 3rd cut is just above colville.. take your time thru the back channel if youve never ran it.. its high enough now to explore..

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Thats 5th cut… 3rd cut is just above colville.. take your time thru the back channel if youve never ran it.. its high enough now to explore..

Thanks, I have explored it plenty over the years but only to the power lines. That’s where I backed off. Seen many boats rip through on plane so just curious if there are hazards to avoid further up?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>
    At what stage is it

safe

to tear through that cut?

shock

Don’t be in a hurry to go places you haven’t gone before. Take you time.

Oh trust me, I have yet to push my shifter all the way down. Getting on plane seems safer sometimes over half throttle.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Your not a true “river rat” until your missing half your skag.

The area by the power lines is 99% sand. I would say to hug the docks but as we all know rivers (more so in sandy areas) change.

It’s spring time on the river. Take it easy through there and learn the deepest runs (for this year).

eyeguy507
    SE MN

so can a guy get a boat through 3rd and 4th cut about now? I tried to get through Catharine pass last spring in fairly high water and got stuck for like 10 minutes so I am a bit gun-shy taking short cuts.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Ahh the joy’s of learning new water.I hope you have got good sphincter muscles for that first run when you think you got it figured out.It’s a good feeling when you get it dialed in and can bury the throttle and run new water.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

so can a guy get a boat through 3rd and 4th cut about now? I tried to get through Catharine pass last spring in fairly high water and got stuck for like 10 minutes so I am a bit gun-shy taking short cuts.

Not to worry. Next spring the Corp will be dredging Katrina and adding some rip rap. It will be good for a few years after that.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m not sure about 3rd cut but 4th shouldn’t be a problem.
    Red Wings gauge is at 7.3 today and rising.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.