Anything???

• uhlee1
    Dav. IA

Anything happening on Poygan? My brother, my dad, and I are heading up from IA this weekend. We are hoping to tangle with some Northerns but we are not picky. I am pretty much just going start by trolling or jigging some of the areas (weedlines) that look good on the gps map. Other than that I will see what I can learn at the baitshop. Any suggestions for us? Its a big lake and looks very intimidating on the map but we usually do well on new water.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I don’t ever fish Poygan specifically for pike, but get more than my share trolling for eyes. What works for me for eyes up there is to try and find some irregularities in the bottom, like a subtle point, and run boards along the edge. The changes in depth may only be a foot, but Poygan doesn’t really have much for structure. Shad raps, tail dancers, flicker shads, etc all have their days, as do crawler harnesses. At least that’s what works for me up there.

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

Wow, Thank you! To be honest I was not expecting a response from anyone. I might just have to upgrade my boards with tattle flags and do exactly that. They don’t get much use on the river! Pool 14 and 16 are my favorite haunts on the mississippi for walleye but we dont get into too many pike. But trolling with boards sounds great! Thanks again and I will be sure to post our results!!!!

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

We ended up with crap weather but still got out for a little bit. The only thing we caught on Poygan was a small drum! Trolling was just about impossible with all the floating weeds. We did however go up the Wolf and found some bass, catfish, and drum. No trophies but we did not get skunked. The Wolf was great! Lots of structure and seemed to good to be true. And it was! About noon Sunday some of the largest boats I have ever seen came out to play at about 100mph non-stop and four at a time. Up and down and up and down. I can’t believe that there have not been some serious accidents there. Monday was not as bad but next time I will go in Fall or Spring. Thanks again for the advise!!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Yeah, I was up there this weekend and didn’t even haul the boat up. The weather was not conducive to fishing Poygan or Winnebago. The wolf is a great river to fish when the summer crowds are not there. In summer, it is like the autobahn of rivers between Poygan and Freemont. Nobody goes slow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.