windows

• bassmasterSandy
    Sweden

can anyone recommend a good window replacement company or contractor? spent too much money on pella the last round, and with not so good results (guy didn’t insulate around new windows :\ )….not sure what to think about places like window world, etc., and don’t want to get burned twice!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I had MN Rusco do some window replacement. The service was good, but I am not happy with their windows. The hardware seems cheap and the mechanics are overly complicated.

My father and I put in a few Marvin Windows on our own (he did the work, I stood there) and those look great.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We used Twin City Window in 2010. We sold the house this summer, but I was happy with their service and with the windows (we had vinyl double-hung put in). They use Lindsay windows, which are made in Mankato, MN.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I didn’t have a good experience with Midwest Window & Siding Company.

Your mileage may vary.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Where are you at? Doesn’t to any good if i give recommendations and your too many miles away. Are your Pella windows failing or did the installers do poor workmanship? If its air leaks from faulty installation, I would make sure Pella knows about it, the owner of the install company, and who ever else needs to be involved.

bassmasterSandy
    Sweden

thanks for the suggestions & input, fellers! )

randy: I’m in columbia heights. the pella windows are fine, it was the faulty installation from a pella subcontractor that was the issue. we contacted pella with pictures of the obvious gaps around the window, and they sent out their own guys to fix all 10 of the windows this subcontractor had messed-up. I wish it hadn’t happened, since I think pella is a good product…but can’t help but feel a little gun shy when it comes to trusting someone to put in a window. I’d do it myself with some help, but the windows that need to be replaced are upstairs. and I’m afraid of heights.

here’s a photo of the gap around the window. we wouldn’t have even known about it if we hadn’t decided to remodel our kitchen a few months later and discovered it after taking off the window trim…

Attachments:
    1. DSC008882.jpg

brad-o
    Mankato

When you talk to the contractor make sure you tell them to fill gaps with limited expanding spray foam. If you don’t mind the winds just get a bid for that.

munchy
    NULL

When you talk to the contractor make sure you tell them to fill gaps with limited expanding spray foam. If you don’t mind the winds just get a bid for that.

If the contractor doesn’t know to use low expanding foam for windows and doors it is time to find a new contractor, that is standard practice.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>brad-o wrote:</div>

If the contractor doesn’t know to use low expanding foam for windows and doors it is time to find a new contractor, that is standard practice.

But it is common practice to fill the gap with insulation too, we saw how well that went during round 1…

Friend request sent so I can PM.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.