Will we ever stop wearing masks?

• gregory
    Red wing,mn

We Just got to round the curve… smash

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Sconeybubba, Thank you for supporting the Pandemic….You need some serious medical education.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Joe, the vaccination does not keep you from getting Covid. It does a great job of keeping you from getting very ill if you do contract the disease. Recent research states that there is still a possibility you could be infected…have no symptoms but pass it on to someone else. That is why masks are still important. The CDC guidelines are now less restricted for those that have been vaccinated and will continue that direction as more people get vaccinated.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

The Trumpster said it’ll be gone by Easter…..he just didn’t say which Easter.
    How long before this thread goes poof?

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

1. Slowing the spread means the endpoint is inevitable.

2. For those who wish for the government to mandate restrictions. How long is it acceptable? How long is it acceptable without giving specific endpoint measures?

3. When N95 and the European equivalent mask are readily available (which near completely protect the wearer). How is it still the responsibility of the public to wear non-viral masks and distance to protect them?

4. When <20 year olds’ hospitalization rate is 8 per 100,000 (per CDC) (worst I’ve read from other sources is 35 per 100,000 -Indian Health Services in SD) and on an average Flu season the 6-23 year old hospitalization rate is 300 per 100,000. How can you with a straight face say that Kids should continue to mask, distance, stay home, quaurantine, not go to school?

5. Given those 14 month old proven statistics, how can you with a straight face, accept any school restrictions in the fall or require a COVID vaccination for school?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I don’t know if masks prevent enough spread to be worth it. I just don’t know. I do think they are unnatural and we need to strive to be without them in all but the most applicable situations. And nobody should be forced or even coerced into taking a vaccine. Especially an experimental one not even fully approved. Since they clearly do not prevent getting or spreading covid, only mitigating an individuals symptoms, it should be an individuals decision and nobody else’s business.
    My wife and I still have no intention of getting vaccinated. We have been healthy people our whole lives and the risk of serious symptoms is exceptionally low. If I have to get antibodies I would rather get them naturally. For all I know my wife and/or I have them now.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210419-204003_Instagram-1911544.jpg

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Joe, the vaccination does not keep you from getting Covid. It does a great job of keeping you from getting very ill if you do contract the disease. Recent research states that there is still a possibility you could be infected…have no symptoms but pass it on to someone else. That is why masks are still important. The CDC guidelines are now less restricted for those that have been vaccinated and will continue that direction as more people get vaccinated.

Per the CDC, 1 in 11000 vaccinated people get the virus. The vast majority get zero to mild symptoms. so 1 in 11,000 might get a cold and there is 1 in 11000 chance you give it to someone else.

My son had a stroke a few hours after birth and had some mild seizures. Spent 1.5 weeks at Childrens, was told he’ll likely had cerebral palsy or almost assuredly be physically impaired. took seizure meds for a few years and saw the neurologist during that time. Dr. said when the Ductus arteriosus closes after birth that it can throw a clot that caused the stroke. happens in 1 out of 3000-4000… never heard of it before or since. that gives you an idea of what 1 in 11,000 looks like.

postive note: straight A 8th grader who gave up zero earned runs in his 5 innings pitched in his last game.

Umy
    South Metro

Joe, a post I can get behind.
    Congratulations – thank you for the shared example, for what it’s worth, meant a lot to me.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

for transparency: I’ve been vaccinated since December. I am a healthcare professional.

I am all for people wearing masks if they feel vulnerable (wear an N-95 please).

I am all for Drs and public health officials giving recommendations.

I am vehemently against any governmental mandates or restrictions involving this pandemic.

CaptainMusky

I am all for people wearing masks if they feel vulnerable (wear an N-95 please).

I am vehemently against any governmental mandates or restrictions involving this pandemic.

Thank you! This is what everyone should believe as well.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I can see why some people might be hesitant to take a vaccine that is relatively new. Hopefully with time, they will be less hesitant and be willing to take it after there is a longer amount of time proving them.

If you have hesitancy, talk to your doctor. You take your doctor’s advice on other health issues, so why not this, right? Its really just about weighing which risk you’re willing to take: vaccine or covid. You could certainly just isolate forever and avoid society until this pandemic is over, but unless you live in Alaskan wilderness, I don’t think that is a reality. Maybe it is for some, but not for me. Should you choose to not take a vaccine, you accept the risk and outcome of catching covid. The same applies for a vaccine.

Follow the recommendations of health professionals, like Joe stated. Don’t take the advice of a politician. They’re crooked, they lie, and they do things for their own personal political glory.

Umy
    South Metro

for transparency: I’ve been vaccinated since December. I am a healthcare professional.

My dept manages the childcare program ( staff or children) for a large suburban district Had NOT ONE case generated from within before the mask mandate. WE served all the Tier 1 family members too COmmon sense should prevail – natural immunity makes SENSE

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Isn’t the “government is controlling us” crowd concerned about facial recognition at all? You should be pushing for keeping masks normalized more than anybody!

I’m not saying I’m part of that crowd, BUT I hear one train of thought is that wearing masks is going to “necessitate” a big jump in facial recognition software, because we’ve been lagging behind China in that capability for quite a few years now. The idea being masks can/ will/ have justified additional “defense” spending on more advanced facial recognition.

Please don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just laying out one line of thinking as I’ve heard it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You just had to bring China into this thread, didn’t you Kyle. Ironic since they started this entire problem.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I don’t wear a mask, haven’t gotten vaccinated, haven’t changed my life because of covid. I had a mild cold that started 2 weeks ago. Got tested because work wants us to. Positive! Worked from home for a week and a half per guidelines. It felt like a mild cold. People are way too scared. The media is the common problem in a lot of situations. They take a little problem/non problem and blow it up.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I don’t wear a mask, haven’t gotten vaccinated, haven’t changed my life because of covid. I had a mild cold that started 2 weeks ago. Got tested because work wants us to. Positive! Worked from home for a week and a half per guidelines. It felt like a mild cold. People are way too scared. The media is the common problem in a lot of situations. They take a little problem/non problem and blow it up.

Yes because if we have learned anything about Covid so far is that it effects every single person in exactly the same way….. “hey everyone rjthehunter just had a mild cold. stop everything right now and open it all back up. false alarm.”

mojogunter

It is funny to me how someone with an attitude similar to yours will change 180 if they have a bad case, and say “I was wrong. This is real. Take precautions”. It is all about how it is all about being selfish. Masks are so you don’t infect others. They can prevent the wearer from getting the virus, but more for not spreading the virus if you were asymptomatic. To they are trying control you crowd. Is wearing a mask really about control? How does that control you? Remember you should stop wearing a shirt and shoes in stores. They are controlling you. Seat belt… screw that, no way they will tell me what to do. Eye protection on my Harley… kiss my %S&. Hey at least you are helping in achieving heard immunity. I hope you don’t have someone close to you die of it. If you do maybe your attitude would change, but probably not unless that person was you.

Slabhunter

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjthehunter wrote:</div>

Yes because if we have learned anything about Covid so far is that it effects every single person in exactly the same way….. “hey everyone rjthehunter just had a mild cold. stop everything right now and open it all back up. false alarm.”

My younger brother got it and ended up on a Vent for a week, then oxygen at home for a month and 3 months later still can’t get back to full work due to shortness of breath…his Wife got it too and hardly realized it and was back to work in 10 days. Family friend got it and was in Hosp for 3 months and will be on oxygen for the rest of his life…totally destroyed his lungs.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s crazy the way a few guys are so extreme on one way or the other, and so fast to call some one out when they think they are superior. Its pretty sad both ways. And that goes for both sides of the line. Shows your true characters

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Agree 100% bearcat. Well said.

Sconybubba

I do have some medical education, it is readily available for all to see. That silly little mask that you are wearing(provided that does not have a tight seal, and you have been medically cleared to wear it per OSHA standards) is not protecting you. The spare underwear on your head, or the blue surgical mask will protect you from airborne particles with a diameter of 100 micron at best. The Covid 19 virus is .6 to 1.25 microns. even my public school education tells me that what you are doing is futile. Other questions to ask yourself are, are you wearing tightly sealed goggles? I ask because the least resistance to any airborne substance into the body is through the eyes. Also, are you wearing gloves so that you do not transfer the virus through touching your face when you do take off the underwear? The problem here is blindly following what the idiots that want this to continue say. Be the resistance, everything will be o.k.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I do have some medical education, it is readily available for all to see. That silly little mask that you are wearing(provided that does not have a tight seal, and you have been medically cleared to wear it per OSHA standards) is not protecting you. The spare underwear on your head, or the blue surgical mask will protect you from airborne particles with a diameter of 100 micron at best. The Covid 19 virus is .6 to 1.25 microns. even my public school education tells me that what you are doing is futile. Other questions to ask yourself are, are you wearing tightly sealed goggles? I ask because the least resistance to any airborne substance into the body is through the eyes. Also, are you wearing gloves so that you do not transfer the virus through touching your face when you do take off the underwear? The problem here is blindly following what the idiots that want this to continue say. Be the resistance, everything will be o.k.

I thought the virus was closer to .3 micron with some of the smaller aerosols it is in being 5 micron
    The masks worn by many don’t gain you much time to exposure. If a fitted N95 mask is only 95% efficient against the virus, the 15 minutes exposure time increases to 5 hours/day

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

There are sad stories all through life . The mask will not stop the sad stories. Mother Nature has never been and will never be stopped. Your non-viral masks do not prevent anything. On their best day,worn exactly right, 100% of the time will only slow the inevitable.

Get a vaccine if you want but what if it doesn’t work? What are you gonna do? Better yet what do you think the government should do until the end of time to keep you “safe”?

brad-o
    Mankato

Man O Man. I would hate if I was Monday morning quarterbacked at my job by people who have never done it! I am glade that I work in a trade that doesn’t continually evolve by the day(rather over years and years). Have mistakes been made yes. Wear a mask or don’t I don’t care. Just don’t think you know more than someone who is an expert. I don’t critique the linesman that’s using a pole to put in a fuse!

CaptainMusky

Man O Man. I would hate if I was Monday morning quarterbacked at my job by people who have never done it! I am glade that I work in a trade that doesn’t continually evolve by the day(rather over years and years). Have mistakes been made yes. Wear a mask or don’t I don’t care. Just don’t think you know more than someone who is an expert. I don’t critique the linesman that’s using a pole to put in a fuse!

the problem is those that are driving all these decisions are not owning up to any mistakes. We have 14 months worth of data that proves otherwise yet they continue down their path. They don’t answer questions as in when is it safe to open etc etc.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I just wear the mask for economic reasons. I want businesses to stay open so we can all make money and buy more fishing gear. I got the shingles vaccine the other day. Almost as bad as a tetanus shot.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I just wear the mask for economic reasons. I want businesses to stay open so we can all make money and buy more fishing gear. I got the shingles vaccine the other day. Almost as bad as a tetanus shot.

I work at Big Med and I have no choice. You think contractors taking it serious😆 I too play the games so we can get back to some sort of normalcy. I work with an older fellow that got that shingles vaccine. He is currently laid up at home…..with shingles. Wonder why there is vaccine hesitancy?

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Will we ever stop wearing masks?’ is closed to new replies.