Why is My Reel Making This Sound?

• Alex Weismann

Hello!

I noticed today while out on Minnetonka that my Daiwa Lexa 400 was making a screeching sound on literally every cast, with every bait. This was only my second time out with the reel. The first time out, it didn’t make the noise nearly at all, but if I casted hard enough, I could hear it a little bit. Today it did it every cast no matter what.

I attached a sound file of the sound, along with some pictures of the reel to see if anyone can tell what’s wrong by looking at it. I also just oiled the brakes, at least I think I oiled the brakes. I took of the braking cover on the side, and I oiled what I thought was right. Anyways, last thing: Since I don’t think it’s the reel itself making the noise, it’s gotta be either braided line just being braided line, or (as you see in the pictures) the line doesn’t go straight from the spool, through the reel eye, to the rod. The line is up high against that little bar, which I’d assume creates some kind of friction.

I don’t know. Thanks for any help at all!

Attachments:
    1. 79CC3C1E-1F77-4B08-883F-DF9394FD59C6.jpeg

2. 30979C2C-20C7-4E87-BB79-E8A401055E89.jpeg

3. 775D2D2F-97AC-43A0-AA81-1DEB497B194A.jpeg

1. Reel-Sound.m4a
    Iowaboy1

Looks and sounds like to me the line levereler isn’t disengaging or reengaging,in your pic you can see where there is much more line wound on one side of the spool.

Alex Weismann

Looks and sounds like to me the line levereler isn’t disengaging or reengaging,in your pic you can see where there is much more line wound on one side of the spool.

Yeah, but even when I level it out again, it still does it on its own again.

How would I fix it?

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

It looks to me like you may have too much line on the reel.

Iowaboy1

the only thing I can tell you is, cast it out and watch the line leveler when reeling it back in to see if it is in fact crossing the entire width of the spool.
    if not, and it is still new take it back and get another one.
    sorry I am not much more help than that.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I also just oiled the brakes, at least I think I oiled the brakes.

What does your owners manual say about oiling the brakes? Are they suppose to be run wet with lube or run dry? If lubed, what type of lube is called for?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

How would I fix it?

Typically there’s a nut on the bottom side of the line leveler that allows you to adjust tension. If it’s too loose the line leveler won’t move back and forth across the worm gear. If it’s too tight it creates additional tension. Give it a little tighten and see if that doesn’t get that line leveler moving consistently back and forth across the spool.

robby
    Quad Cities

Thinking outside of the box. What kind of guides do you have on your rod? Any chance that the braided line has abraded the guides, I have seen this and the line actually cut a channel in a guide or two, normally the tip guide. This would cause friction and noise. I know this sounds silly, but take a look.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

My guess…If the noise is only during the casting then it may sounds a lot like as if the spool pin isn’t fully clearing the pinion gear. So the spool pins might be making contact with the pinion gear.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.