Who's That on the Couch?

• Sharon
    SE Metro

I made an executive decision on Saturday. My boys Fritz and Remi have not been allowed on the couch since we’ve gotten them. Billy and I would dance around the idea of changing this… especially during movie night when one of the boys would put his head on our lap and look up at us with those puppy eyes. But we resisted because of several reasons. We had been talking about letting them up for snuggles on the couch in the den, but we had yet to pull the trigger. Well, Saturday afternoon I decided to put some blankets down on the couch and let the boys join me for a snuggle! It was glorious!

Remi snuggled up right away and was dozing off and snoring in a matter of minutes. Fritz seemed unsure of the situation at first, like the couch is too squishy or something. He stood there looking at me like, what do I do? So I told him to lay down and patted my leg, and he eventually got comfy too. It was a perfect afternoon of a warm drink and warm puppies snuggling me into relaxation. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. 7887.jpg

2. 7885.jpg

3. 7889.jpg

4. 7886.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

That’s it….you’ll never get them off now!

We let our Rhodesian on the couch once but she sheds pretty bad. Now she thinks the couch is hers. We have to put wrapping paper on it to keep her off.

I think it’s kinda funny…..my wife, not so much.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Our Boxer, Ruby, is nice enough to let us on the couch too, as long as we don’t mess with her spot…the things we do for dogs…

glenn57
    cold spring mn

awesome……….. my dogs think they own the couch too. when they were yonger they did the same thing on our bed.

they sure look comfy Sharon………..and like there pros at it!!!!!!! waytogo

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yep, that door is open, no turning back.

We keep the pug off the couch because of their fur which is like quills that won’t come out of fabric. The poms are allowed. I don’t think he thinks it is fair, so he tried sneaking up on the couch. One day he jumped over the back onto the vinyl floor. I don’t know ho he didn’t get hurt.

For a small dog he loves the outdoors. Part of it might be that we allow him on the outdoor furniture. He will stay outside if he can, he refuses to come in the house most of the time. I think it is a little strange that a pug loves the outdoors so much.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Been there, oh about 8.5 years ago. Wife let our GSP on the couch and ever since she’s owned it. To be fair, she does log the most hours on it.

JUST DON’T LET THEM IN THE BED! That happened about 8yrs ago and now she owns that too. She started out on the covers down by our feet, curled up in a ball. Now she lays on top of the sheets, right down the center, with her legs extended like she’s trying to claim the whole thing. Some nights she even gets her head up on the pillow. flame
    I bitch about it but tolerate it because I love my wife. Next dog…no way in hell though!

Photo from right now.

Attachments:
    1. 0CA913AE-72A4-4F68-9A33-44A57F6B8FBE.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I always let both shepherds and chihuahua on our couch. They are inside 60 percent of their life, might as well make it as comfy and good for them. The hair sucks but it’s easy enough to clean every other day or so. They each have a spot on my bed. Some times that irritates me but they are family. And they love to snuggle

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Awsome!
    Loved it when the pups were up on the couch with me. I always made room for them. It was a challenge to get comfortable with the 3 of us
    but we made it work. Funny, Almeta would cuddle behind my legs then weasel up then when she had enough would go to her doggy bed. She would always ask with her eyes before coming up.

Attachments:
    1. 20140901_235442.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Well, Saturday afternoon I decided to put some blankets down on the couch and let the boys join me for a snuggle!

Sharon,
    As long as you ALWAYS put a blanket down first, everything will be just fine. My dog has a rug in the front room. Even then, she knows not to come in until given the OK.
    When I spread an old bath towel on my lap, she knows to wait for the OK, before jumping up on my lap for some together time.
    I have never caught her up in my chair without me. Dogs are pretty perceptive as long as one is consistent.
    I’m glad your dogs are there to give you some comfort. Hope you are getting along OK.

Hurray for Remi and Fritz!

Now she lays on top of the sheets, right down the center, with her legs extended like she’s trying to claim the whole thing.

Our 8mo old golden just went from a cute little ball to putting out stiff curb feelers every night. If I get the bad side, I need to put a pillow shield up or risk getting an eye poked out. Our cattle dog was the same way, but she was an only dog and not nesrly as tall, so easier to deal with.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

You can always get another couch Sharon!
    Our 6 year old doberman contracted Lymes and was basically paralyzed for weeks this fall. Talk about feeling helpless. The couch was always her happy place and after a month of laying on the floor, which she had a hard time with, and was mostly our fault, she finally made it on about a month ago.
    Here she is squinting because she knows she isn’t supposed to be up there! We’re thankful she continues to make the recovery to a somewhat normal life.
    She will likely never chase squirrels or go up and down the stairs again but having her on the couch is my last worry.
    Your house, your rules.

Attachments:
    1. 201909099514470995HDR.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

My GSP literally OWNS the far corner of the couch. If you try sitting there, he will physically sit on top of you (or try). He loves the couch so much that he used to whine in the middle of the night until we opened the bedroom door so he could sit on his throne (couch). We now have to leave the door cracked so he can head out there at night. He even has a cozy cave bed and prefers the couch over it…

Does he get it dirty? yeah. Does he get it wet when licking himself? Yeah. Does he kick you when you extend your feet too far onto his spot? Sure does. But I’m glad we let him up there and he’s a GREAT foot warmer.

Attachments:
    1. 34397146-8C94-4D98-A3E7-9A509167A62F.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I had my yellow lab trained to stay on the floor, sleep in her dog bed, and not beg for human food when I was eating. Once my wife came along, she put a blanket on the sofa and let her up there and started giving her human food hand outs at dinner. My whole 2 years of dog training immediately went down the drain.

bigpike

Couch time with Cash is nice any season! Spoil those dogs rotten Sharon!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

B-Dog gets the couch every night. I get the couch once in a while during the day. I love to sit with him and watch TV.

Attachments:
    1. bdog.jpg

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I had my yellow lab trained to stay on the floor, sleep in her dog bed, and not beg for human food when I was eating. Once my wife came along, she put a blanket on the sofa and let her up there and started giving her human food hand outs at dinner. My whole 2 years of dog training immediately went down the drain.

Same. The FW let our great dane, Bosco take over the couch, bed, beg for food, etc. I don’t really mind but it would be nice to get more than 5% of the king size bed once in a while…

The SIL’s labs also enjoy the couch/bed. I love dogs so much

Attachments:
    1. Dogpile.jpg

2. Bosco.jpg

Neal Keeling

Not only do our Goldens get on the couch, they will only lay where they can put their head on the pillows. If your sitting on the end with the pillows they will climb right in your lap to get to the pillows. Company has found this out the hard way.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

This thread has been comforting. I thought it was just our dog that managed to take over the couch (and bed) which made me feel…like a sucker. mrgreen

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

My springer had a bed in front of a warm air register in the wall. He loved it there. So did the cat. The cat slept on the dog’s back.

Everything was fine until we sat down to eat.

grizzly
    nebraska

yep we had a small dog and everytime my wife sat down on the couch the recliner or in my truck when we traveled he was on her lap, no 2 ways about it

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Thankyou Sharon for the thread subject.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Mighty pretty bird dogs you have there Sharon.

Once our dogs get too old to jump into the truck on their own power they graduate to couch snuggles….a perk of old age I guess.

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

Our Boston hiding in plain sight.

Attachments:
    1. AC93A930-2190-49EF-AB27-1BDDB37A9BC8.jpeg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

It’s over Sharon get your own couch.I brought our rescue home and within an our it was hers.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I love seeing all these responses and photos. Dogs really are amazing, and my boys are doing a great job of helping me through this difficult time.

When it was kinda nice out the other day we spent a while outside playing in the snow, and taking warm up breaks too of course. My GSPs get chilly and so does their Momma! It’s currently -2 this morning so we’re snuggling inside, keeping warm. Burrr!

Attachments:
    1. 20191206_142419.jpg

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Mr.Beads I think we see who rules there. toast
    A good Segway for a pup on a couch and a tv. The back story is Misty hears the toon of the introduction of Minesota bound and this happened. Yep, every time either on the floor or the couch arm.

Attachments:
    1. Copy-2-of-Picture-048.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.