Who's caught a 20# + channel?

• Justin Karriker

So as much as I despise a channel, other than the occasional use of one for flathead bait when I still lived in NC, the thoughts of a 20+lber intrigue me.

I have no real desire to catfish anymore since moving to MN, with so many new species to explore, so I doubt I’d ever actively pursue it. Possibly a bycatch if I decide to fish flatheads on the river at some point, but unlikely.

Anyone caught one over 20? My largest channel was 17 and some change from Lake Moultrie SC.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Anyone that’s been to the Red River of the North has more then likely landed a 20 + pound fish. They average 18 pounds I’ve heard.

I’ve had 19’s in my boat on the Mississippi but I don’t recall if I caught them or a client.

Then there’s this guy… The Pro Catman Ethan.

Justin Karriker

I’ve heard the Red River is the place to go for one, but I’ve never been. May have to go just to try it one day.

Justin Karriker

Great video. Gotta love seeing the little ones catch fish.

catmando
    wis

Caught one below osceola on the croix 21 pounds and one in the TF cat contest above the dam it went and even 25. If channels got as big as flattys it would be somethin. DK

shefland
    Walker

I used to have musky on the brain, channel cats fight way more then the musky and you can catch many a day, not some a year. Red River, specifically up by Lockport, Manitoba simply the best in the world for channels, they do average out to about #18 my biggest is #29. Now I love to fish, anything that bends my pole works for me but those cats of the Red are special, also have some experience fishing them by Drayton ND on the red, not as big on average but so much fun and closer to me, I live in North central Mn.

Justin Karriker

I’d hate to think I made a special trip for a channel, but it does sound tempting haha

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Lockport is on the bucket list.
    16# is my biggest to date.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

If there’s a trace amount of cat slime in your blood. Lockport is calling you!

I left on a Saturday morning with Dennis Steel, Manny White and Dark30. Came home on the following Monday.

Showed the photo’s to my FW on Tuesday night and Thursday we where headed back to Lockport and Stu’s Cats on the Red.

Daytime big channel cat fishing at it’s finest.
    In fact, I know of at least one person that cut his trip short by a day because their arms hurt so much. Fact.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

A short clip of Manny White’s first trip to the Red. After instructions on holding his first Red River channel…

This video never gets old!

Turn up the volume and giggle!

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I’d hate to think I made a special trip for a channel, but it does sound tempting haha

Tell me about it. The red is practically in my backyard but I still cant get myself to give it a serious try.

Fisherpaul

I used to have musky on the brain, channel cats fight way more then the musky and you can catch many a day, not some a year. Red River, specifically up by Lockport, Manitoba simply the best in the world for channels, they do average out to about #18 my biggest is #29. Now I love to fish, anything that bends my pole works for me but those cats of the Red are special, also have some experience fishing them by Drayton ND on the red, not as big on average but so much fun and closer to me, I live in North central Mn.

Try the Potlatch Dam in Brainerd, MN Nice channels there and no one fishes them up there.

Karry Kyllo

I’ve gotten many dozens of channels over 20# on the US side of the Red. They’re quite common. They definitely don’t average 18# like Brian refers to, but there’s a really good chance to get a 20 or multiple 20# plus fish every time out.

dew2

The red is the place to go.I’ve got a couple on the upper Mn river 23# & 20,But that’s fishing 3 nights a week all summer for 12 years.39# out of a reservoir in California,20s were real common,They stocked for years.That said I like the Mn for flats,so thats my main fishery for cats.

692fisherman
    champlin mn

where is the closest place on the red that has good fishing for them? do you have to go to dam near Canada to get in to them??

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

So where do you live Justin? Not many places in MN that are terribly far from channel cats.

Justin Karriker

Champlin. NW metro. No, channels can be had within a mile of the house on the Sippi. I’m talking a legit, 1-2days to fish, kind of shot at a 20lb plus channel.

They’re fun enough if you have to kill a little time and don’t feel like working for anything else, but I just don’t see myself making a voyage for a channel. Guess I’ve had my fill from cutting my teeth on them and Blues way back when.

Karry Kyllo

The Grand Forks area and north usually holds the larger channels. There are concrete ramps at East Grand Forks, Grand Forks, Oslo, Drayton, West of Hallock and Pembina that are all good.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Yup, no big channels in the Champlin area doah

No 20#s but 10#-15# aren’t rare that’s for sure. This was my daughters last trip in the fall. Not as many but they are bigger.

Maybe concentrate a lil more time in your home waters if traveling for a fish just ain’t your thang coffee

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20140826_211346_262.jpg

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Champlin. NW metro. No, channels can be had within a mile of the house on the Sippi. I’m talking a legit, 1-2days to fish, kind of shot at a 20lb plus channel.

They’re fun enough if you have to kill a little time and don’t feel like working for anything else, but I just don’t see myself making a voyage for a channel. Guess I’ve had my fill from cutting my teeth on them and Blues way back when.

I live in Fridley and caught my personal best in N Minneapolis right across from the water works facility. 15lbs and that was 5 minutes from my house!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

See below

Attachments:
    1. PBWaterworks.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I live in Fridley and caught my personal best in N Minneapolis right across from the water works facility. 15lbs and that was 5 minutes from my house!

That’s the biggest channel I’ve seen come from that stretch, sweet fish! woot

Justin Karriker

I’m trying to figure this walleye thing out :D.

Too many new species in MN to put forth much effort on something I’ve already done lol. I have given a little thought to trying to best my 17#er with a local fish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

We’ll welcome you back once you get that crap out of your system Justin. coffee

Justin Karriker

I have no issue chasing flatties :D.

Just gotta figure out these MN regs. I’m used to being able to use anything I legally obtained, be it gizzard Shad in a cast net to crappie caught on hook and line. Live bait almost seems like too much trouble up here due to limitations of what I can use and where it can come from, let alone how I got it haha

Captainbrad
    Red River of the North

A 20 pound channel catfish is very special. I would not call them common but they are possible on every hook set on the Red and as you move north they become more common. This has been a great start to a big fish year. Here are some highlights from the past couple weeks as I have experienced them. http://redrivercatfish.com/photos/2015/index.html

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Growing up in Iowa, all I had to fish for locally as a kid was nearby farm ponds and small creeks that were loaded with cats. It was a fun time as a kid! I might have to give them a try again sometime. I live 5 minutes from the Minnesota River by Cedar Avenue, I might have to give it a try some night.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.