Whiskey

• Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

A lil spin off of Pug’s beer thread.

What’s your favorite whiskey and why?

Mine by far hands down the best whiskey is Koltiska KO 90. The smoothest drinking liquor I’ve had to date. This stuff is dangerously good without the nasty burn. I wished I could let everyone have a sample. If you are ever in the Wyoming area I suggest taking a tour of the distillery and sampling some of America’s finest whiskey.

Attachments:
    1. B20866.jpg

Timmy

Can you buy that in MN?

My current sipping choice is Pendelton. Smooth as silk for the evening sipping drink.

For everyday affordability and mixing – good old CC is a tough one to beat for my taste buds.

404 ERROR
    MN

NOW we’re talking!

I am a huge Bourbon fan and have a liquor cabinet full of misc bottles. I’ve probably tried 60+ bottles from small batch craft to Phillips. For the balance of price and taste, Buffalo Trace is the best overall, IMO. The best cheap cheap stuff I’ve tried came from Total Wine and is called Black Powder. It was something like $11/liter, which is very cheap. Smooth taste with a decent finish.

Angels Envy and Blantons are the best two Bourbons I’ve ever had but they are spendy and tough to find…

Sharon
    SE Metro

I like Crown Royal, especially their apple whiskey. It’s good for sippin’ and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. I think I also like Jameson Irish Whiskey and Windsor is good for mixing, but I’ve not had Windsor straight.

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

1. Buffalo Trace
    2. Eagle Rare (same distillery)
    3. Woodford Reserve
    4. Gentleman Jack

Pauleye
    Onamia

I like my Bourbon too.
    Knob Creek for sippin, Jim Beam or Jack for mixin.
    Irish Whiskey none better than Midletons Very Rare.
    Smooth as silk well worth the money.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I had a bad experience with Whisky as a teenager, thus I had a strong aversion to it. One trip to the old ball game to watch the Twins 3-4 summers ago changed all that! I had a Big Ginger and I was hooked. It’s my favorite cocktail on a hot day.

Now that my only experience is with 2 Gingers, when making a Big Ginger at home I always wonder what whiskey I should buy. I do see 2 Gingers down here every so often, but there is no reason I can’t make it with another brand, but being a newbie, I have no idea what is good. So I’ll be following this thread.

I also intend on trying variations of the Big Ginger or other Ginger whiskey cocktails. One thing I really want to try is using Ginger Beer (Crabbies) and whiskey.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Where’s the drool smiley???

Angles Envy, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo trace forever in my cabinet of choice selection.

Great whisky needs no mixing or that contaminate filled ice to kill the flavor I savor!

deertracker

Jack Daniels, jack Daniels Jack Daniels. Crown, Two Gingers, Jamison and Maker’s Mark are also good.
    DT

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

but I’ve not had Windsor straight.

As a Canadian Windsor fella… don’t.
    It’s not really THAT bad, but you know the old cowboy tv show where the cowhand goes into the bar and says “Gi-me-a-shot-a-redeye”.

Yeah, that’s the stuff.

Charles

Knob Creek! On ice of course.

I do have a couple of brands that I would like to try that are local to Minnesota.

So Whiskey Mixed or Not?

deertracker

Pug, Jamison is good in a big ginger. I’m sure there are others that are good though.
    DT

big_g
    Isle, MN

Only thing I have tried and I liked it too… Yukon Jack smash

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ketel One
    and new to the market (to me anyway)
    Tito’s.

Also Espolon

All dangerously smooth by the shot.

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

I’m partial to rye
    Angels Envy
    High West Rendevous
    Templeton

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Brian, if you like Vodka, try Sobieski. Cheap in cost, but not in taste.

At the bar where we got married they recommended Tito’s, as they did when we visited last fall. And they were more raving that recommending. I’m going to have to try it at home.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

By far my favorite is Jack Daniels, but the price tag is either a little too high or I drink too much redface

I also like Knob Creek and Gentlemen Jack, but again I am a simple man with a beer budget.

Nice Fella

I’ve been a Maker’s Mark Senior Ambassador since 2002.

FryDog62

I’m a Scotch Whiskey guy:

1) MacAllen
    2) Oban
    3) Glenmorange

Kyhl
    Savage

I’ve been sampling a few bourbons over the last few years. As much as I’ve tried, I’m not a fan of scotch.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming. Buffalo Trace is next on my list to try.

I usually have a few on the shelf at all times.
    1792 is always on the shelf.
    Might be on my third bottle in a row of George Dickel.
    Sometimes throw in Clyde Mays for some sweeter taste.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m a Scotch Whiskey guy:

Tisk, tisk, tisk. Then you should know how “whisky” is properly spelled. Note the lack of an “e”. In Scotland, the penalty for this transgression involves being beaten with a cold haggis. grin

Yes, enough of the pale ale kiddie drinks.

Scotch Whisky
    – Highland Park – the greatest whisky on Earth, bar none. That is all.
    – The Macallan – Always.
    – Glen Morange
    – The Balvenie – Port or Sherry cask.
    – Bruichladdich

Bourbon
    – Basil Haydens
    – EH Taylor Barrel Proof
    – Four Roses

Irish
    – Bushmills (Black)
    – Redbreast
    – Connemara

Grouse

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Now that my only experience is with 2 Gingers, when making a Big Ginger at home I always wonder what whiskey I should buy. I do see 2 Gingers down here every so often, but there is no reason I can’t make it with another brand, but being a newbie, I have no idea what is good. So I’ll be following this thread.

You can make them with just about any blended or Canadian whiskey, but I’d rank it Jameson Ginger #1, Big Ginger #2, and Crown Ginger #3. Also my favorite drink on a hot day (followed closely by a G and T)

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Humor me and tell me the difference between Scotch, Bourbon and Whiskeeeeeeeeey P

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Im a bourbon guy and my go to right now is Bulleit. It has a great spice to it and extremely smooth. I also like knob creek and even some Jim beam every now and then.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Scotch makes me sound irish attempting scottish, Bourbon makes me sound southern, and whiskeeey makes me sound drunk! lol

A – Aron
    Red Wing

Bourbon- Michters

Irish – Redbreast “smoothest whiskey ever”

Scotch – still looking…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Crown Royal, lots of ice, about a 50-50 mix with water..good sippin

My uncle once told me “never ruin good booze with pop!!”

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Crown Royal Black really sings to me.
    Basil Haydens
    Buffalo Trace (was turned on to this in Wyoming in 2013)
    Dickel
    Johnnie Walker Double Black (can only do one/two of these…very intense)
    Angel’s Envy

CC and 7 for mixing

Windsor for spilling around campfires up North

Side note: Woodman’s, every other month it seems, gets a cart full of McCray (12 year old) and sells it for $13. It’s really strange stuff, but I like it. Almost as fruity as a brandy.

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

1. Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon
    2. Woodford Reserve Bourbon

Buffalo trace in on my list to try next. Heard good things about that one as well.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.