Whiskey

• tomhopkins
    waconia, mn

Roughstock whiskey. They are out of montana. waytogo Fantastic.

Kyhl
    Savage

I just recently acquired this from my father-in-law who passed, not sure why he held onto it for so long but am really wrestling on whether to crack it open to celebrate his birthday some year. The seal states 1971 on the cap. I am sure it is real smooth…

That could be a crap shoot depending on how it was stored. Supposedly whiskey does not age after bottling. There is a theory that some air may be exchanged in a sealed bottle and that the little bit of oxygen in the bottle may allow for some changes over time. From what I’ve seen, changes over time have not been scientifically tested. Changes noted are probably more to do with expectation bias and failed memories, which happens a lot and quickly.

Light, air, and cork are bad for whiskeys over time. They should be stored upright in a dark cool place. Unlike wine which should be stored horizontally to keep the cork from drying out.

Note, after a bottle reaches half full it is best to keep working on it, throw a party if necessary, to finish it off. There are ways to mitigate that by adding nitrogen to the bottle to displace the oxygen to make it last longer.

socoeyechaser
    Colorado

Great thread! toast

These are our samplers after our week long elk hunting trip here in Colorado this past fall (after the hunts of course)!

Most favorites; based on being smooth and tasty and easy to drink on ice:
    1. Breckenridge (Breckenridge, CO)
    2. 10th Mountain (Vail, CO)
    3. Wyoming (Kirby, WY)
    4. Bulleit (somewhere in KY)
    5. Fireball n/a – doesn’t belong on this list

Not pictured is Stranahan’s Black Diamond (Denver, CO) which is smooth and tasty as well. I’d put it at 1.5 in the list above.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0905.jpg

zooks

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tomhopkins wrote:</div>
    Roughstock whiskey. They are out of montana. waytogo Fantastic.

Where can you get it?

Thanks for the tip, their spring wheat whiskey really looks interesting.

http://www.montanawhiskey.com/whiskey/drink-up/

Here’s their site, can buy online if you’re a WI resident. Ace Spirits in Hopkins carries it and is just down the road from me, I’ll look for it there.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

anyone ever tried Soldier Valley?
    http://soldiervalleyspirits.com/

i love their story and the fact that they contribute some of their profits to veteran’s groups…just haven’t been able to find it anywhere around here in order to sample.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Here is a link to a web site. Go ahead and join up they do share some coupons at times. But as a member you can see a good definition of types of whiskey and myths vs facts etc. Some good reads.

http://bardstownwhiskeysociety.com/index.php

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Ditto on the Breckenridge…distillery is on the edge of town in CO. Very light and smooth.

Pete

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I just recently acquired this from my father-in-law who passed, not sure why he held onto it for so long but am really wrestling on whether to crack it open to celebrate his birthday some year. The seal states 1971 on the cap. I am sure it is real smooth…

It appears that Order of Merit was a mid-line Canadian Whisky. The brand at the time of production of your bottle was owned by the Canadian arm Schenley Distillers, an American company from NY. This company owned many spirit brands and, at one time, had a controlling interest in Blatz beer as well. The remainder of the company went through a series of sales and most of the brands were eventually acquired by Guinness, PLC, but many of these are brands only and were not in active production.

It’s not clear from the books I have that mention the Order of Merit brand, when, exactly production ceased. It’s likely that warehouse and store-shelf stock lasted into the 1980s, but production seems to have tapered off in the late 1970s.

IMO, you would not drinking the family fortune should you choose to crack open the bottle and enjoy it. There is very little historical market for Canadian whiskey except for very rare and very old bottlings, neither of which apply to your bottle.

Grouse

I know it’s not whiskey, but I really like my Captain Morgan mixed with. . . . ice and a dash of Fireball.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.