Where to start-topo topic.?

• reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

So, this is a section of a lake-the land on the left is an island. North end is towards main lake body.
    Rocky/rubble bottom between land and the deep hole on the north, mix of sand/gravel and rock/rubble along the shoreline coming south-some weeds, but nothing super special.

My question, to you walleye guys: Where would you begin, both for jigging and/or setting a couple of tip-ups(3 lines allowed). I have my thoughts, but really want to hear yours. Thanks!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1671.png

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Anybody??? sleeping

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I would start at the steepest sharpest drop to the deepest water, so the top of the picture. Tip ups at the top edge of the drop and move down the break jigging. The other spot is the sharp break by the “15” in the center of the picture with the corners on it. Again, tip up on the high/shallow side and jig in deeper water of the corners.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Agree w/ Sticker. From the steep break (top and bottom of it as well) and the inside turn at 15′ would be the two areas I worked first.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This time of year I would start near the inside turns between the 15’and the buoy , especially if there are weeds there. I also assume there are walleyes in the lake. )

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Well I’m still just a student but if this was a quiz with multiple answers, I’d suggest as the sun goes down, setup on those flats in the 10′ range. Assuming you’d be fishing until after dark? neutral

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

This time of year I would start near the inside turns between the 15’and the buoy , especially if there are weeds there. I also assume there are walleyes in the lake. )

There are, it’s known as a decent walleye lake in the area. It’s also very popular, with several community honey holes but this spot kind of stood out to me. They would be the target species.

Well I’m still just a student but if this was a quiz with multiple answers, I’d suggest as the sun goes down, setup on those flats in the 10′ range. Assuming you’d be fishing until after dark? neutral

And yes, my general plan was to arrive earlier in the day and spend some time with the auger getting it laid out, then fish it on into/past the evening.
    I’ve actually fished this spot once, for a total of 1 1/2 hours with a guy right at dark on a butt cold day a few years ago-though only the deep edge of the hole. It’s why I want to go back. Like you, I liked the idea of waling down the steep break and am really interested in that inside turn, so I’d glad to hear that feedback.

Last part: What are your thoughts on the inside turn? Tip-ups on the edges, or smack in the middle coming into it? Jigging too; edges of turn, or middle?
    What about the bit of flat between the inside turn and the steep break?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.