where does your electricity come from?

• phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

I moved to a new area about 6 months ago and have a new power company. In last month’s flyer, there was a breakdown of where my electricity came from. I found it greatly interesting.

Attachments:
    1. power2.jpg

2. power1.jpg

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

But at least the cars will be electric. Oh I mean the new coal, gas, nuclear, electric car.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I could care less where it comes from. As long as the food stays good and the lights come on with a flip of a switch.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

I could care less where it comes from. As long as the food stays good and the lights come on with a flip of a switch.

this is where i’m at.

I just thought it was interesting as i’ve never had a power company give me the breakdown before. This new power company has been doing line inventory, updating where necessary and clearing lots of trees back from the lines. They are also going to be installing fiber internet over their power poles starting in spring. This is huge for this really rural area as i can only get satellite internet currently.
    About a month ago, we had a HUGE windstorm that knocked power out in most of the tip of the mit. The biggest problem area was where the lines crossed the swamp. Because the swamp wasn’t frozen yet, it took them about 2 days to fix. They had to get special equipment to get out there and fix it.
    I have been impressed so far and hope they continue with the good work.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

One of these doohickeys.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3261.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I moved to a new area about 6 months ago and have a new power company. In last month’s flyer, there was a breakdown of where my electricity came from. I found it greatly interesting.

i find your chart interesting!!!!!! since i was a union rep in that field. one thing that struck me was the solid waste incineration…..garbage burners.

the tore down the big one in elk river, the one in red wing doesnt sound very healthy either. there finding it cheaper to dig a hole and bury it…….kinda sad though!!!!

i aslo have been told the market for recycled plastic stinks, so there shredding it into small pieces and dumping them into landfills too!!!! doah

munchy
    NULL

Here is the current mix chart for Rochester. Will have to see if there is a longer time range chart somewhere.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220114-163350_Chrome.jpg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

What netguy said.FYI don’t stick metal things in the doohickey you will find where eletricity comes out.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

i find your chart interesting!!!!!! since i was a union rep in that field. one thing that struck me was the solid waste incineration…..garbage burners.

the tore down the big one in elk river, the one in red wing doesnt sound very healthy either. there finding it cheaper to dig a hole and bury it…….kinda sad though!!!!

i aslo have been told the market for recycled plastic stinks, so there shredding it into small pieces and dumping them into landfills too!!!! doah
    [/quote]

The one in red wing I work at all the time. That place Is one wild west of nastiness.
    As for coal. Gre is a major power supplier. We just did 4 shut downs for them. If any one is interested in where it comes from.
    It’s way more complex then one thinks. This is a coal plant attempting to reform for green

Attachments:
    1. 1.jpeg

2. 2.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What netguy said.FYI don’t stick metal things in the doohickey you will find where eletricity comes out.

I’ll refrain from any further comments! rotflol

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Bearcat, I was a shop rep with the boilermakers union, our field guys worked in there some.

Yea I heard some crazy things about the red wing garbage burner

I had the Meyer utility pole shop across the river in Hagar city.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Hey there I’ve worked at all those plant and “NRG energy” in Newport that processes the refuse for those plants, in my opinion those plant are very good for waste disposal into energy, just to expensive I believe is one of there faults. It was sad driving by great river energy in elk river seeing it get torn down! I worked inside those boilers! Bearcat I bet we’ve crossed paths!

Coletrain27

Here is the current mix chart for Rochester. Will have to see if there is a longer time range chart somewhere.

That chart is all of mn and many other states all the way down to Texas that miso controls

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>munchy wrote:</div>

That chart is all of mn and many other states all the way down to Texas that miso controls

Mayhaps, it was on the RPU website and didn’t read too deep into it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hey there I’ve worked at all those plant and “NRG energy” in Newport that processes the refuse for those plants, in my opinion those plant are very good for waste disposal into energy, just to expensive I believe is one of there faults. It was sad driving by great river energy in elk river seeing it get torn down! I worked inside those boilers! Bearcat I bet we’ve crossed paths!

That was great river energy coal plant in Buffalo. We did thus one and the identical sister plant in north Dakota. Cutting down on coal burning. It was led by a team of Swedish engineers and it was a great Job to be apart of. Besides 36 15 hour shifts straight. And missing Thanksgiving. But the pay was great. I had never seen such things and I know the average person and average complainer has no idea

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bearcat, I was a shop rep with the boilermakers union, our field guys worked in there some.

Yea I heard some crazy things about the red wing garbage burner

I had the Meyer utility pole shop across the river in Hagar city.

The red wing garbage burner is a crazy place. The guys who work there, I give props to. I never seen any one eat a sandwich in such a garbage pile all while acting like it was a picnic table in the park. I personally cut all the old walls out so the new concrete could be poured. I worked in a hazmat suit for 3 months there and I think the smell is still burned in my nose hairs. It’s been a few years

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Bearcat, those pictures look like a 50s Sci Fi movie.

castle-rock-clown

A lot of generated and then wasted heat that could be used to generate electricity comes from crematoriums…

ThunderLund78

A lot of generated and then wasted heat that could be used to generate electricity comes from crematoriums…

And with my Body Fat Index, I’m packin’ some BTUs, man! You could probably power an average house for a week when they light me up! jester

Interested in where the .19% Wood comes from? Maybe burning a bi-product or waste from the paper or logging industries?

munchy
    NULL

*Why did the lights just get brighter?*

**Oh that’s Roger, he passed away the other day**

* shock *

BigWerm
    SW Metro

*Why did the lights just get brighter?*

**Oh that’s Roger, he passed away the other day**

* shock *

Munchy that got an actual LOL out of me, thanks!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.