When to call it

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Freezing temps are rapidly approaching, and the lower unit has a small leak. Check it every other week or so and the oil is white but doesn’t have actual water come out the bottom hole yet.

Like to have my boat as long as possible before I dismantle it and bring it to basement for winter repairs, but don’t want to cause damage.

Have a couple late trips planned where I’ll probably end up draining the unit, refilling at lake for weekend and then dumping again on way home but in the meantime any thoughts how to keep a lower warm enough to last another month or so?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Electric blanket wrapped with a heavy moving blanket. Put the electric on a timer, won’t take much to keep it thawed.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Like that idea and have a blanket too woot

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Electric blanket wrapped with a heavy moving blanket. Put the electric on a timer, won’t take much to keep it thawed.

Sounds like a fire waiting to happen to me.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thats what insurance is for.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Wonder how a makeshift box out of modular insulating foam with a candle per night would work. Wife’s got enough of those stinky things around, maybe for a month, $1 candle a night, not too bad. It’s kept in garage so that helps

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Ok you didn’t say it was in a garage. Go to a parts store and buy a magnetic block heater.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Ok you didn’t say it was in a garage. Go to a parts store and buy a magnetic block heater.

I think that would even work outside. Good idea, cheaper running than my thought of running an electric heater/blower.

jon amundson

I would look for some heat tape( for water lines) before block heater. Just based on wattage usex

Attachments:
    1. download.jpg

riverruns
    Inactive

Fix it? That’s a thought.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Fix it? That’s a thought.

Good call doah

My own mechanic work seems to take one step forward with 2 back, so not willing to dive into a LU seals until I have some time in the basement this winter to make sure it’s right for next season waytogo

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Can you and a bit of antifreeze to the lower unit? Or will that break down the oil? Just curious if you can keep the water that does get in from freezing, or block heater, they make pads if your lower unit is non ferrous.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I would just change the lower unit oil after each trip.

-J.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

My garage is not insulated, and it won’t get below freezing temperatures in the garage until it’s really cold outside, like 0 degrees. Unless this is a tin shed garage, I would think you’re going to be fine without doing anything.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Last garage was attached and shared your same experience, some reason this garage gets pretty cold. Minnow bucket would freeze over pretty often. Looking to avoid an expensive gamble

Woodshed
    Elk River, MN

-J.

I agree, cheap and easy. In my experience this is a 2 beer job with about $15 invested each time.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I think I changed my lower unit oil 4-5x last fall after I noticed I had a problem before bringing it in for repair… The mechanic explained how close I was too pushing the guts out of the lower unit… Didn’t know you could!
    They fixed it in a day, pretty dumb for me to push it is what I learned.

Get it fixed or park it. Anything else can just run the cost waaaaaaay up if you push it further than it should

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Top off the lower unit fluid after each use to push any water out.
    Then, put your lower unit in a garbage can filled with water. Unless it gets cold enough in there to freeze that whole can of water solid, your lower unit will be well enough insulated to prevent freezing.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

I agree, cheap and easy. In my experience this is a 2 beer job with about $15 invested each time.

That could get to be a PIA depending on how many times you do it and wasting that beer $$. You can just let enough lube/water out, about 1/4 and then plug it. This allows enough room for any freezing to expand into the void created without cracking the housing. Top it off before you head out again.

I think I changed my lower unit oil 4-5x last fall after I noticed I had a problem before bringing it in for repair… The mechanic explained how close I was too pushing the guts out of the lower unit… Didn’t know you could!

That’s an extreme visual the mechanic painted for you…I have had the consequence happen years ago. What happens is you find a hairline crack in the lower unit housing with the lube/water cocktail oozing out.
    Agree though, best to treat the disease rather than continuing to treat the symptom. Seals need to be replaced.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Years ago had the lower unit of a 15hp completely crack off behind the propellor, ouch.

Some good ideas here to move forward. Not gonna push it as I have enough shorespots and friends with boats to get me through late fall early winter. Might need my CC permit though, have had some strange encounters this year on the mighty Miss.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Years ago had the lower unit of a 15hp completely crack off behind the propellor, ouch.

Some good ideas here to move forward. Not gonna push it as I have enough shorespots and friends with boats to get me through late fall early winter. Might need my CC permit though, have had some strange encounters this year on the mighty Miss.

Did you go out today? Your post to need an “Anchor beach”, couldn’t tell if it was for today. You posted a little after noon, but mentioned grilling hot dogs? ?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.