What's worse than time off stuck with the in-laws

• Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

How am I suppose to have a Merry Christmas when my in-laws think the roads are going to get bad and show up 2 days early on an hour notice and then we get rain and my 4″ of fishable ice goes away? Now my reasons to get out have melted away. Argh! Here’s to a better and happier New Year!

tucrs
    NW Metro

1. Quick rush to the liquor store grab a case or so of beer.
    2. Drop a can of oil on the floor
    3. Tell everyone you need to work on the car.
    4. Lock the garage door and proceed to have a good Christmas…

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Embrace this quality time with them. Ask them open ended questions, and really listen to their answers. Engage them in board games, cards, or get out the photo albums. Learn who all those people in those old photos actually are and how they are related to your wife. Before you know it those in-laws may not be here on this earth any longer and all that information will be lost with them. You may even score some brownie points with the wife or find out some very interesting things.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I hide in the garage and respool everything and sharpen hooks.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Embrace this quality time with them. Ask them open ended questions, and really listen to their answers. Engage them in board games, cards, or get out the photo albums. Learn who all those people in those old photos actually are and how they are related to your wife. Before you know it those in-laws may not be here on this earth any longer and all that information will be lost with them. You may even score some brownie points with the wife or find out some very interesting things.

Now that there is funny. Funniest dang thing I’ve heard in years. rotflol santa

blackbay
    mn

Did they show up with 350 pounds of dogs? My sister in law is coming from Denver with her 3 dogs. Oh joy! -P

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Did they show up with 350 pounds of dogs? My sister in law is coming from Denver with her 3 dogs. Oh joy! -P

You got me there now I don’t feel so bad. Thanks for the cheer! toast

walldows

Show them to the nearest or farthest Super 8.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Thank God for YouTube IDO re-runs! waytogo

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

My wife gets mad when we visit her family because I end up going fishing with her Dad the whole time…

hamms
    Mn

That’s mint!

Whopper Stopper
    Forest Lake MN

I a recuperating from a double inguinal hernia (5 days). I was thinking about the initial question of “What’s worse than time off stuck with the in-laws” And after further review, I wouldn’t trade you.

WS

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

“WHAT’S WORSE THAN TIME OFF STUCK WITH THE IN-LAWS”

Hmmmm… My mother and father inlaw live within a half mile of us. lol My brother inlaw lives 3 houses away. lol

I actually feel very fortunate. My mother inlaw has done daycare for my kids. I get along great with them. If I need my space, I head to the cabin for the weekend. I seem to do that every weekend. Is it Friday yet? waytogo Merry Christmas.

castle-rock-clown

you should sit down with those three dogs, look at photos and ask open-ended questions, ask them about their parents and grandparents, then take them outside and scoop up whatever falls out of them. Merry Christmas

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

What the H**L are you smoking ?

I would be mad too toast

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Maybe I’m a little too focused on the tasks in life that need to be accomplished. For me, I’ld look at it as FREE LABOR and get them to work. Nothing says Welcome to the Wieland’s like #’s of raw meat sitting on the counter waiting to be processed!! Or better yet, send them out back to scrape pelts. Let them know dinner will get done after the coon are scraped and stretched

Attachments:
    1. DSCN3433.jpg

2. DSCN3417.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Gregg,
    My response was not intended to be funny or a joke, sorry if you took it that way.

I get along great with my in-laws. I wish I could sit with my father-in-law and reminisce about all good times we’ve had. How he used to sit with my youngest on the shoreline while everyone else was out on the lake water skiing. How he used to load the whole bunch of us up in his motor home and we would drive to the apple orchards and cheese shops. Ya I’d like to sit and talk with him but unfortunately those days are few and far between now. He mostly sits and sometimes he knows you and the next time he doesn’t.

I can’t get back the times he is really not there, but I’ll not go away and leave him on the days he is.

Maybe I’m just lucky in having the in-laws I do, I sincerely hope your situation is better than you make it out to be.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

How am I suppose to have a Merry Christmas when my in-laws think the roads are going to get bad and show up 2 days early on an hour notice and then we get rain and my 4″ of fishable ice goes away? Now my reasons to get out have melted away. Argh! Here’s to a better and happier New Year!

My wife was a freak of nature in her family. She is like me and I like her.
    Trust me when I tell you I know what you are going through.
    Sometimes in-laws are close and sometimes they are not. There is no right or wrong outcome.

blackbay
    mn

you should sit down with those three dogs, look at photos and ask open-ended questions, ask them about their parents and grandparents, then take them outside and scoop up whatever falls out of them. Merry Christmas

One is a German Shepherd so there is a language barrier.

castle-rock-clown

You could sit down and listen to the Scorpions, music has no barriers.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m not saying I drink more around the in-laws, but I drink more around the in-laws.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Having someone forward this post to said in-laws and having to explain yourself… )

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Having someone forward this post to said in-laws and having to explain yourself… )

shhhhhhhhh. If my wife reads this I am in deep ^$&%/

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Hang on, hang on , hang on…We’re talking about the dogs here or the in-laws? Cause after a long conversation with the in-laws, I do find myself needing a scoop with them too.

rayc
    ontario, canada, sault ste. marie

You could be stuck with my wife?????????????

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

You could be stuck with my wife?????????????

Pictures please (of the boat)! An oldie, but a goodie.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Just got caught up here and had to LOL! Glad to have my IDO friends. I think we need to start an IDO comedy forum and change the logo on the hoodies to a laughing fishing dude. Merry Christmas to all! santa

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I feel for you, but I can’t relate. My in-laws are (mostly) all right and I tend to enjoy them when we do see them. The father in law is a good guy and we talk fishing and hunting and dogs-or just go fishing. Seems like every time we visit he’s sending something home with me-from augers to rifles to sweet Allis-Chalmers tractors. I can’t complain about much(though I still do sometimes), and I guess I got lucky there.
    Maybe doesn’t help your situation, but at least let me say “Thanks” for reminding me of one of the things I should remember to be grateful for. In a lot of ways I guess I’m a pretty lucky guy, and I should remember that more.
    Hang in there, the holidays will be over and the ice will be back before you know it!
    -Rev

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.