What’s a decent basic entry level muzzleloader?

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I have an older Thompson Omega but don’t like the breech and may need a new barrel due to corrosion. Would like to replace it without breaking the bank

Jimmy Jones

I’ll assume your talking deer hunting?

The CVA Optuma or Wolf is a nice entry level gun. If you can find one a T/C Impact is a dandy also. For a more money you can slip into the Knight market but so many of those guns shoot dirty without spending more $$$ on different breech plugs and bolt faces. I don’t and wont recommend any of the Traditions guns.

Any of the three I mentioned will handle sabots/bullets sold in the multi packs and there’s a lot of options out there.

Regarding propellants, I prefer granular over the pellet stuff. You’ll find a whole world of loading variables using granular powders where the pellets really are restrictive in load development. Again personally, I shoot T7 fffg granular at the range and find the need to run a damp patch down the barrel between shots little bother. In the woods, I shoot BH209 powder since it will not absorb moisture and any residue left in the barrel after taking a shot doesn’t need to be patched between shots and it actually leaves a slick residue that aids in the second shot reload. Guns shot using BH209 can be left uncleaned for the length of the season without much fear of rust developing, while any of the true black powders and other subs like T7 need to be cleaned the night the gun was shot.

In line with the powder, the two CVA guns will require a BH209 compatible breech plug to use the powder, maybe a $35.00 expenditure. Any other granular powder can be used with the BH 209 plugs.

Staring load-wise using either the T7 granular or BH209, I’d suggest starting at 90 grains by volume using a bullet/sabot combo of 250 grains. A 240 grain combo will work equally well. Bullets/sabots up to 300 grains are common too but you’ll quickly realize that these guns have recoil. Starting at 90 grains I’d increase the charge in 10 grain increments until you get zeroed fairly well, then drop to 5 grains to dial in.

If you scope the gun you can expect 200-yard capabilities with any of the bullet weights, charge sizes mentioned.

Something I’ll touch on briefly before you get shooting is the need to keep the flash channel, that 1/8″ [+/-] channel between the primer seat and the tiny fire hole at the front of the plug in the plug, reamed out. As you shoot carbon from the primer’s ignition will cake up inside the channel and eventually close it off enough to hinder firing and or cause your accuracy to got to pot. Find a drill bit that fits snugly in the flash channel and hand-turn it to ream the carbon out after every 20 shots or so. The plug doesn’t need to be removed to do this and it takes only a minute.

All three of these guns can be gotten with nice open sights. My eyes are old so everything I own is scoped. A 2X7X40mm to 3X9X40mm scope is all you need on any of these guns and a simple reticle is all that’s needed too. Votex makes the Crossfire series of scopes that are very nice and range from $129.00 to $149.00 at Scheels. You’ll need a base and rings to mount the scope. When you mount the base and the rings be sure to use red Loctite to keep things from moving.

It sounds like a lot to digest Buzz but really its pretty basic. Personally I’d do the CVA Optima at under $400.00. The Wolf would be my second choice at under $300.00. The T/C Impact will run right around $325.00-$350.00. The Wolf and the Impact are relatively light guns, the Optima right around 6 3/4 pounds without optics.

If you want to chit chat about this more, pm me your phone and when a good time to call is.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have a 50 in Traditions. Reasonable price and is unbelievably accurate

brandyman
    West central MN

My Son has a Traditions buckstalker that works well even with only open sights. I can take out breech plug with my fingers. I think it was the cheapest one in the store, he picked, I bought.
    I do like the newer cva’s for not having a safety by the trigger.

jwellsy

Where do you buy powder & primers? My usual local sources have dried up.

Jimmy Jones

Scheels Rochester has a wide selection of powders, including BH209, and plenty of Cheddite 209 full power primers. I’ve been shooting the Cheddite 209s in my smokeless muzzy and have had zero issues with cold and they shoot clean not only in th smokeless but all of my in-lines.

klang

Have a CVA Optima. Couldn’t be happier!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.