What would you do?

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How does draining my livewell in my driveway thats 20 miles from any lake hurt anything?

It doesn’t. But the DNR doesn’t know that’s where you’re going so they make a universal law that states it must be drained before leaving. Some people don’t go directly home either. They go to another lake or body of water.

I’m just wondering if you never intake ANY lake water in a bait container, do you still have to drain that bait shop water and replace it with fresh bottled water?

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Question for the live bait guys. Are you emptying your bait buckets and containers that I assume have cold bait shop water and filling them with urine warm lake water? With the temps and water already being so warm, I would expect the live bait to stay a lot fresher and livelier if it was kept in colder water as opposed to filling it with warm lake water.

I’m slightly confused by the rule on this too. If you don’t ever add any lake water to the container, bait bucket, etc, are you still supposed to dump out the water already in there from the bait shop when you arrived? If you never added any water from the lake while you were there, I don’t see the harm. You showed up with bait shop water, and left with that same water.

Filling a live well, ballast, or other large containment vessel with lake water and then transporting it without draining it is completely different.

I have a cooler that holds 4 gallon jugs. If the plan is to go to multiple lakes I carry 3 jugs of water and one of ice. I’ll fish the first lake with the water the minnows came in, then when I land the boat I dump out the water the DNR assumes is contaminated in the parking lot and replace it with the water from one of the jugs to go to the next lake. Hopefully I have a jug of water left to bring home any leftover minnows

LabDaddy1

there are fishermen, and there are guys in boats with fishing poles.

And then there are guys who call fishing rods, “fishing poles.” jester

Yeah, MN has some ridiculous, over-engineered rules for sure. Sconnie— or pretty much anywhere else in the US for that matter— has much more common sense rules than we do, especially hunting and fishing.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Based on the comments here I’m lead to believe that; just like there are hunters, and there are shooters; in this case, there are fishermen, and there are guys in boats with fishing poles.
    On the changing of water in the minnows, in WI, if the minnow bucket doesn’t get lake water in in, there’s no need to dump or change it. Same with leeches.

Am I considered a fisherman or guy in a boat with 12 rods, also am I a hunter or just a shooter

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a cooler that holds 4 gallon jugs. If the plan is to go to multiple lakes I carry 3 jugs of water and one of ice. I’ll fish the first lake with the water the minnows came in, then when I land the boat I dump out the water the DNR assumes is contaminated in the parking lot and replace it with the water from one of the jugs to go to the next lake. Hopefully I have a jug of water left to bring home any leftover minnows

That seems like over kill to me Pat. You’ve never filled your cooler with lake water in this case.

The previous example that RJ and Rip gave were with leeches. I assume they don’t fill their leech containers with warm lake water, and therefore none goes into their leech container. But they still can’t leave the access with the very same original or bait shop water they came with? doah

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JEREMY wrote:</div>
    How does draining my livewell in my driveway thats 20 miles from any lake hurt anything?

It doesn’t. But the DNR doesn’t know that’s where you’re going so they make a universal law that states it must be drained before leaving. Some people don’t go directly home either. They go to another lake or body of water.

I’m just wondering if you never intake ANY lake water in a bait container, do you still have to drain that bait shop water and replace it with fresh bottled water?

Technically yes, you are required to drain that water and dispose of the bait unless you have water in your vehicle to replace the water you just dumped out. Similar to your response as to why you can’t drive home with a livewell full of water, the DNR agent can’t be certain that the water in your bait cooler isn’t lake water that you’ll dump into the next lake.

Although I agree that it’s pretty ridiculous. Years ago an inspector told me that technically I was supposed to dump the water from my leech container but they let it slide.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That seems like over kill to me Pat. You’ve never filled your cooler with lake water in this case.

The previous example that RJ and Rip gave were with leeches. I assume they don’t fill their leech containers with warm lake water, and therefore none goes into their leech container. But they still can’t leave the access with the very same original or bait shop water they came with?

Your blatant admission and violation of the rules is no better or worse than the example given by the OP. Rules are rules. You don’t get to decide which ones you think are dumb or not, point the finger at one person, and then break another one yourself. That is the definition of hypocrisy. Its quite possible that the individual that had weeds hanging from his trailer simply didn’t know they were there.

rotflol jester rotflol Just giving you a hard time Gim! rotflol jester rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Just giving you a hard time Gim!

Haha. I see what you did there. You do have a point too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

You do have a point too.

I think anyone with a bit of common sense would agree the bait rule is dumb, it’s pretty easy to tell if people have clean home/baitshop water or lake water in their bait bucket. But common sense is not a DNR goal. Regulation is. So here we are with Lake Association Karens and Grumpy Old Men arguing at landings.

Ripjiggen

The previous example that RJ and Rip gave were with leeches. I assume they don’t fill their leech containers with warm lake water, and therefore none goes into their leech container. But they still can’t leave the access with the very same original or bait shop water they came with? doah

No I don’t empty my plastic leech container water that the bait shop gave me. I’m a rule breaker. Call the feds. devil

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Question for the live bait guys. Are you emptying your bait buckets and containers that I assume have cold bait shop water and filling them with urine warm lake water? With the temps and water already being so warm, I would expect the live bait to stay a lot fresher and livelier if it was kept in colder water as opposed to filling it with warm lake water.

I’m slightly confused by the rule on this too. If you don’t ever add any lake water to the container, bait bucket, etc, are you still supposed to dump out the water already in there from the bait shop when you arrived? If you never added any water from the lake while you were there, I don’t see the harm. You showed up with bait shop water, and left with that same water.

Filling a live well, ballast, or other large containment vessel with lake water and then transporting it without draining it is completely different.

I have no problem sleeping at night. Ill fill my Engel up with lake water as well, as it is more oxygenated than the “cold bait tank water”. Im a believer that the state conjures these “laws” to create another stream of revenue in enforcement. I have yet to have seen or heard of any enforcement regarding bait water.

I did spend time fishing last weekend at 2AM and almost died hitting a boat fishing without Nav lights. The call to the Sheriff (obviously)resulted in nothing.

So call me jaded to any idea of enforcement taking place as it is.

Ill stick with science and leave the “follow the leader” approach to those kinda folks.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I hear ya gander pike. It’s over the top on some of this.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

No I don’t empty my plastic leech container water that the bait shop gave me. I’m a rule breaker.

I completely agree that it makes no sense. I was actually unsure if that’s what you had to do in order to follow the rules. My question was answered.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Did I speak it into existence? While out at my local county owned Res near Rochester, they put in a spray off station with actual water so people can rinse the scum off the boats along with weeds! Looks like they drilled a well or is it some kind of pressure tank deal? Either way its awesome!
    Took me like 2 minutes to rinse and clean the boat. Only gripe is the hose is too short but this is a great start! Now only if all landings that get scummy in summer have this feature.

Attachments:
    1. 20230630_210406.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fished Mille lacs yesterday and i took the dnr survey and my boat took the hook steam bath. I asked directly after why they never sprayed my carpet bunks or side bumpers. The kid told me he forgot his daisy dukes. So in the end I think there was no help. Not washing my carpet is a fail I think

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

As I read through the conversation here, I can’t help but wonder if guys under the age of 40 tend to answer one way, and those over 40, lean the other way. Just a random point of curiosity…
    As an observer/reader, what I don’t see being suggested very well is “tact.”

Yes, the rules are the rules, and personal integrity SHOULD insist that we all adhere to accountability, but do we have to be jerks about it? Why can’t we flag a person down and say something like, “Hey buddy, I’m only saying something because I’d hate to see anyone get a ticket, but you’ve got an axle full of weeds on your trailer.” If this at a light, heck… I’d even offer to pull them off for them if they simply pulled over. There is a way to educate and spread a little kindness simultaneously, and while the douchebags of the world never really care about anything, there’s always a chance that it makes a difference because of the respect that resulted from being tactful and kind. And yes, they might refuse assistance or tell me take a flying leap, but then I’d be tempted to call the authorities, not on this individual, but to let them know that I’ve been seeing a lot of weed violators in a particular area lately. Maybe they’ll create a “sting day” or maybe they’ll do nothing, but it could plant a seed and then whoever gets caught, gets caught.

As I get older, I will say… my memory and awareness is more vulnerable to distraction now than it was 10… 20… 30 years ago. I could see the weeds and know that they need to be cleaned off, but as I go about wrapping up “things” I could just as easily close the rear gate of my SUV, thinking how nice it’ll be to get out of the hot sun, and boom; slip in behind the wheel and take off, even if I’ve pulled weeds the previous 25 trips!

There are innocent mistakes amongst flagrant violators, and it’s usually evident by their reaction to being made aware of the issue. Violators tend to throw it back at you, while the mistaken tend to be apologetic and appreciative. So, if asked what I would do, I would try to get their attention, be considerately tactful, and get on with my day, doing my best to be a positive experience in anyone’s day. Because… face it, we’re all sinners anyway, but that’s no excuse to not place a good foot forward.

Tight lines guys and gals!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Chester woods campground?

Chester boat launch not campground. Since Covid they have waived park fees, expanded and paved lots and now this wonderful addition. Not too expensive for this little place.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.