What would you do?

• Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

Today I followed a boat down the highway. The axle of the trailer was so full of weeds that I could see them flapping around.

When we came to a stop, I took a picture of the weeds on the trailer and wrote down the license plate. Would you send this info to the DNR?

isu22andy

Not a chance . Not allowed to clean off your boat at home ? You call the DNR on the ducks that fly from one lake to the other?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Technically he’s supposed to remove those before leaving the access but reporting it won’t go anywhere. It’s also possible he simply didn’t know they were there too. You probably just had a pretty good angle to see them that he didn’t.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wouldn’t do anything. Maybe tell the dude at the stoplight

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Not a chance . Not allowed to clean off your boat at home ? You call the DNR on the ducks that fly from one lake to the other?

Actually, no you are not allowed to clean aquatic plants off at your home.
    The law states that you remove “before” leaving any water access or shoreland.

Technically he’s supposed to remove those before leaving the access but reporting it won’t go anywhere. It’s also possible he simply didn’t know they were there too. You probably just had a pretty good angle to see them that he didn’t.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

If it was that flagrant, then yes send the in the photos.

My $.02

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Send it. Id bet he has bags of corn labeled “deer bait” in his house too.

Jimmy Jones

It was only last fall that I saw a sheriff’s truck and patrol boat going down the road with what looked like a major league salad hanging off the trailer axle and the lower unit. Wabasha County unit.

If the law enforcement doesn’t have to or simply neglects to adhere to this invasives stuff, then they certainly should have zero capability to enforce it at the public level. Nothing is gained if there is a sector that is immune from cleaning as is put to the common people.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Not an answer , invasives are still coming in the US via ballast water of ocean going ships . Until that is addressed this will never be fixed .

TH

Not an answer , invasives are still coming in the US via ballast water of ocean going ships . Until that is addressed this will never be fixed .

This is exactly right. Ships are supposed to rinse the ballast tanks with salt water to kill fresh water species. If they don’t, I believe its a few thousand dollar fine for dumping hundreds of thousands of gallons of water. And who would ever get caught. What is my fine for not removing my drain plug? I might have an ounce of water in my boat.

As far as what to do, follow your gut but probably nothing will happen to the violator.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Not a chance .

Watch your own bobber.

Don’t be a karen

I wouldn’t do anything.

^^^^^^^ This is exactly how hunting and fishing will eventually die. Our demise will be because nobody said anything or did anything about the offenders.

Until a rule or regulation is changed or repealed, that rule or regulation is still to be followed.
    It is a violation to litter. I’ve witnessed folks dumping litter and folks right nearby, never say a word. Next thing that often happens, that public area, is now closed to the public, because the littering is out of control.

It should not take an inspector at every ramp or launch site to police fishermen and other boaters.

See something, say something.

isu22andy

You guys trim down your outboards and fully drain them ? Blow out your livewell lines ? Check the hollow frame the of trailer ? What about a 2 inch piece inbetween the bunk and the boat ?

It sucks . I get it no one wants to see it in their lake . There’s just so many variables and spots it can hide .

Ripjiggen

^^^^^^ This is exactly how hunting and fishing will eventually die. Our demise will be because nobody said anything or did anything about the offenders

Oh come on now. Hunting and fishing dying. You mean the same hunting and fishing that has been happening since man could stand upright?

Ripjiggen

You guys trim down your outboards and fully drain them ? Uh Yes Blow out your livewell lines ? No they are usually closed off.
    Check the hollow frame the of trailer ? Don’t have a hollowed framed trailer.
    What about a 2 inch piece inbetween the bunk and the boat ? Doubt that would be enough to spread and invasive plant but maybe.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

To clarify, this wasn’t a single weed that got overlooked. This was an axle full of weeds that obviously didn’t even get looked at.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

To clarify, this wasn’t a single weed that got overlooked. This was an axle full of weeds that obviously didn’t even get looked at.

Some people are lazy and some people are dumb. I would have used the time rhat it took to take a pic while driving and writing the plate down to try and signal the guy.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not a chance .

Watch your own bobber.

Don’t be a karen

I wouldn’t do anything.

^^^^^^^ This is exactly how hunting and fishing will eventually die. Our demise will be because nobody said anything or did anything about the offenders.

Until a rule or regulation is changed or repealed, that rule or regulation is still to be followed.
    It is a violation to litter. I’ve witnessed folks dumping litter and folks right nearby, never say a word. Next thing that often happens, that public area, is now closed to the public, because the littering is out of control.

It should not take an inspector at every ramp or launch site to police fishermen and other boaters.

See something, say something.

Hunting and fishing are going to die ? How’d we make it this long ?

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

In Wisconsin it is illegal to leave any boat landing/body of water with weeds. If your lake had milfoil you would think differently.

Send it HWF!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Send it. Id bet he has bags of corn labeled “deer bait” in his house too.

He probably stores them right next to his freezer filled with 5000 sunfish and crappie fillets he’s stored up.

But he never caught over the limit…

eyeguy507
    SE MN

so what am i supposed to do if the harbor is greener than the grass in the lot? i pull the trailer out and it is now coated top to bottom with algae and every weed in the lake.
    am i really supposed to pull the weeds off at those worthless stations the DNR sets out?
    is there a reason landings do not have a hose so you can wash the crap off your boat when you pull it out?????

Coletrain27

is there a reason landings do not have a hose so you can wash the crap off your boat when you pull it out?????

So you think the DNR should drill a well at every boat landing? Can’t imagine how much a fishing license would cost then to pay for that rotflol

eyeguy507
    SE MN

who the hell said anything about a well? most landings have power nearby. how much can a pump and 100 feet of hose cost? i mean there is water at a landing right? hell there is probably a way to pump water manually out of the lake to rinse the boat off. i would like to know how much money they spent on those ridiculous mobile weed picking things????

LabDaddy1

This. Give him a chance to be educated about it first.

Then if he acts like a d-bag or doesn’t care when u tell him, I’d maybe call it in. Let the the law/DNR educate him via ticket.

Deuces

All a very big misunderstanding on the legalization of weed.

Dan
    Southeast MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

This. Give him a chance to be educated about it first.

Then if he acts like a d-bag or doesn’t care when u tell him, I’d maybe call it in. Let the the law/DNR educate him via ticket.

That’s a damn good answer that covers all sides.

Coletrain27

who the hell said anything about a well? most landings have power nearby. how much can a pump and 100 feet of hose cost? i mean there is water at a landing right? hell there is probably a way to pump water manually out of the lake to rinse the boat off. i would like to know how much money they spent on those ridiculous mobile weed picking things????

That would still cost $1000’s per ramp and who’s gonna maintain it all and blow them all out and winterize them? They don’t have enough staff to do what they do now. Would need some sort of filter system on them also on the intake side which would require constant cleaning

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

That would still cost $1000’s per ramp and who’s gonna maintain it all and blow them all out and winterize them? They don’t have enough staff to do what they do now. Would need some sort of filter system on them also on the intake side which would require constant cleaning

NO WAY

sounds like a perfect job for all those DNR trainees at the launches all summer long????? heck there are 3 or more sitting around under the shade trees at some of the landings. you would only need to maintain them for what…..4 months at most then pull em out of the water. the big landings like Colville, parkside, Roschen and baypoint are all plumbed for water with bathrooms and fish cleaning houses nearby. run a 100 feet of hose and problem solved!

yes i am the guy that cleans his boat ASAP to keep the scumline off.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

yes i am the guy that cleans his boat ASAP to keep the scumline off.

I have a white hull so I clean mine often too. Some lakes are worse than others, but the longer I wait, the harder it is to clean.

The Grays Bay Public Access on the east side of Lake Minnetonka has a pressure washing station free for public use after you exit the ramp area. I’ve used it a few times before, works well. I don’t think that it would be very practical or realistic to have at the majority of access points though.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.