What to use to catch what on the Miss.

• Jesse D.

So being new to fishing the Mississippi, and getting ready for when the water comes down a bit, I’m wondering if anyone would care to share some common lure/bait and techniques for catching whatever there is to catch in Pools 1 & 2.

I don’t need your best kept secrets but some directions would be really appreciated.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Get yourself a pile of 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 ounce jigs with worms, minnows or leaches.

Jesse D.

Get yourself a pile of 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 ounce jigs with worms, minnows or leaches.

For walleye, I assume?

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

For walleyes I typically pull gold spinners with leeches or gulp at sun up, 1/8 jigs and minnow or crawler all day, then pull raps at sundown.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

A weight, hook, and a crawler in the right place at the right time will pretty much catch everything.

deertracker

That’s the nice thing about the river. You can use very little for tackle and catch all kinds of fish. A simple jig/minnow or worm can catch you walleyes, carp, sucker or catfish. I really miss not being close to the river.
    DT

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

You guys have it all wrong….you need plastics, ripnraps, blades, shad raps, husky jerks, 3 ways, floating raps, jignraps, every color of every jig size…..both vmc and bfishn….and this is just for spring time walleyes.

You’ll also need a different rod and reel combo for each of these.

Next we can cover what to use for summer time low flow conditions.

Or, live bait and jigs could work if you wanna catch tiny males.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.