What to look for in a generator for wheel house

• mrpike1973

Small Ice Castle Little Jigger house. looking for a generator I know nothing about them. How big how much power? Harbor Freight deal or big buck? Plan on running furnace and led lights in house possibly radio and probably a movie on a 24 inch screen TV one a night. Not sure if this is doable just not looking forward to changing batteries planning on 2-3 weekend trips over night or just 4-8 hour day trips. Does the generator make electricity just like a house correct? I know the best are $2000 cannot swing that and can get by on just battery for light and furnace for a while. Lookin more for what specs amps or power or how you rate them. Thanks

mrpike1973

I forgot to add we will use it in the summer camping as well probably use it to power a little mini refrigerator if possible. No AC unit. Thanks

Pauleye
    Onamia

I have been very happy with my Harbor Freight generator. Sounds like your house electrical needs are the same as mine. I have the 2000 unit. It powers my shack without any issues.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Been running a wen 2000 for 5 or 6 years summer and winter. I would buy another in a heart beat. My buddy bought the predator from harbor freight 2 seasons ago and it works just like it should

MNdrifter

From what I’ve heard those predators 2k watts are pretty good and reasonably priced. So much so, I bought a 10k watt for emergency use to run my home. Haven’t ran it much so far. I run a Yamaha 2400 for fish house. It also has been flawless.

Deuces

My dad has ran a wen as well for few years no issues

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yamaha or Honda 2k+ generators are the gold standard in pretty much every category, they are a little more $, but worth it imo…

Reef W

Does the generator make electricity just like a house correct? I know the best are $2000 cannot swing that

As long as it’s an inverter generator, most small ones are, it’s fine. Non-inverters aren’t very clean power and not good for electronics or anything sensitive.

I have a Champion Dual-fuel 2000w and only run it off propane. I like that to never have to worry about gas issues because I don’t use it much. Also stays clean and doesn’t stink like gas if you store or transport it inside. It was $550. I’ve probably only ran it 20 hours at most, only use it to recharge batteries, but so far no issues.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Don’t forget to run your battery charger off of it. Not that it will have much of a draw.

I have a 4k at my house for emergency. It will run my whole house EXCEPT for the A/C.
    I run a 6.5k in the floating camper and that will run two AC units. This is a Kohler, but they used a Honda engine. I forget that it’s running.

Save your pennies and go with a Honda or Yamaha. Your ears and your neighbors with thank you.

mrpike1973

Thanks for all the responses!

1. Just for clarity my understanding is as long as I have the power cord plugged in to 110 it will power the house and charge the 12 volt battery?

2. Honda is quieter and Preditor is loud.

3. Predator will work longevity may be questionable but have good look with them

4. Make sure to get a Inverter Generator

5. Honda are hard to find

Thanks again I know nothing about this and it is all new to me Thankfully I have good help here. Best places to buy something like this online or what stores would handle this

Smellson

I replaced my Honda 2000 with a powerhorse 2000 (northern tool). Been running it for 4 yrs now and it’s been flawless. Seems like all these newer Honda clones have great reviews. 1000 Watts would probably be plenty with what you’re describing but the 2000 Watts are almost the same cost and give you twice the output if you ever decide to add something like a small coffee maker, deep fryer etc

Smellson

Btw….ths predators/Honda clones are not loud. The old $100 generators people used to buy we’re loud…all these new suitcase style inverter generators are very comparable to the hondas

Hoyt4
    NULL

Honda 2000 , quieter then most out there and never had a problem over 15 years of having one. At most the sporting shows you can get a deal on them.

Reef W

Btw….ths predators/Honda clones are not loud. The old $100 generators people used to buy we’re loud…all these new suitcase style inverter generators are very comparable to the hondas

Honda says 48-57db for a EU2200i. My Champion says 53db. I really want to hear a Honda because I will certainly never “forget” mine is running. It’s definitely quieter than the open-frame style ones I’ve heard but it’s still “loud” imo.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I have a similar size house to yours. The Harbor Freight 2000w generator does everything I need which includes your requests.
    Not loud at all and like another said, they are Honda clones.
    Save your money and get a HF Predator.

Gitchi Gummi

Yamaha or Honda 2k+ generators are the gold standard in pretty much every category, they are a little more $, but worth it imo…

I think “a little” more expensive would be an understatement. They’re more than 2X the price.

Aaron Kalberer

I run a powerhorse 2200 about $600. It runs a camper ac, not much louder than my honda 2000. My brother takes it to LOW when he spend a week up there on the ice and said it actually worked better than his honda 2000 when it got real cold. He didn’t elaborate on why it worked better or in what regards. I love my honda 2000 but am very pleased with the powerhorse as well.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Last year on a road trip out west I spoke to 3 camper owners who were all running the Predator generators. Nothing but good reviews from these owners, not one had experienced a problem with the 2000 watt model. One guy was a full-time RV guy and he estimated they had hundreds of hours on the Predator because it ran their AC when needed and the way it was out west the last 2 years, it was needed a LOT.

I certainly intend to buy one to power our off-the-grid camp when the time comes to replace the current Briggs powered unit.

I have 2 other predator engines, both are Honda clones, 1 on a pump and one on the kids mini bike. Both have been flawless. Gas, oil, go.

I think “a little” more expensive would be an understatement. They’re more than 2X the price.

This was exactly my thinking. For half the price of a Honda, a person can get the Predator AND the extended warranty if you really felt the need. I’ve said it before, a small engine/generator is not something that needs to be handmade by NASA.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I run a 6.5k in the floating camper and that will run two AC units. This is a Kohler, but they used a Honda engine. I forget that it’s running.

Disclaimer: It’s water cooled with a very large muffler before it goes outside.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Camping world has a Cummins Onan P2500I for $764 right now.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

There is nothing worse than some JA running his loud cheap generator while fishing or camping. Do yourself and others a favor and get a name brand quiet generator. Honda or yamaha 2000watt

Smellson

There is nothing worse than some JA running his loud cheap generator while fishing or camping. Do yourself and others a favor and get a name brand quiet generator. Honda or yamaha 2000watt[/quote

Again, the “cheap” generators aren’t louder than the hondas. Decades ago, sure. I ran a honda 2000 for yrs before getting a new powerhorse (Honda starting burning oil and I didn’t like refilling it every couple days). The powerhorse hasn’t had any of the problems my Honda did in the extreme cold (breather tubes freezing up) and is every bit as quite as the Honda was.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

5 winters in on my Honda 2k with zero complaints. First trip out, -30 on LOTW, had the breather freeze up and burp oil. Been running full synthetic 5-30 every since and never had that issue again, with many more weekends being below zero. When the time comes that this one dies I’ll more than likely buy another Honda, but were they to stop making a 2000 watt generator, I’ll be buying either Generac or Powerhorse.

mrpike1973

Sounds like the predator 2000 would work quite well from Harbor Freight would you get a warranty? I’m a little jaded with Honda I had one on a push mower and my strike master auger nothing to write home about but different motors I’m sure.

catmando
    wis

If your looking for one I have Sportsman 4000 dual fuel I would sell, never used it, Two dang heavy for me, I bought a 2000 Champion. 200 bucks. DK.

mrpike1973

Catman thanks for the offer but way to heavy for me. I went with a wheel house because I have weight restrictions now. Hopefully someone here will pick it up

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sounds like the predator 2000 would work quite well from Harbor Freight would you get a warranty?

They have a 90-day warranty and you can opt for an extended warranty I believe it’s 3 years. I’ve never felt the need to buy the extended warranty on harbor freight power equipment.

I figure buy it when you need it and take it out and use it. If it works good out of the box it’s probably going to keep working.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We had luck with one of the Generac ones for the last 5-6 years at the hunting cabin with no issues and it’s quiet.

Greg C

We had luck with one of the Generac ones for the last 5-6 years at the hunting cabin with no issues and it’s quiet.

had 1 for 4 years camping and fishouse worked well

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.