What to look for in a generator for wheel house

• Hookset
    Southern MN

Generac IQ3500, absolutely love it.

Coletrain27

I use a Honda 2200. If I were to buy a cheaper one it would be a northern tool powerhorse since they have a longer warranty than the predator

Nodakk

The predator 2000 should work just fine. Have a buddy with one and he has no complaints.

The only other thing to consider that hasn’t been mentioned here is the use of an extended gas tank. The Hondas are the only 2000 inverter with a mechanical fuel pump that will draw gas out of an extended tank that is at the same elevation (as in both in the bed of your pickup). All others (including Yamaha) would need the extended tank above the generator to allow gravity to operate the fuel transfer. Not a big deal to some but I enjoy not having to refuel my generator during a weekend trip with the cold/wind/snow.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

A friend has a 2300watt Ryobi that our group will use even if there is a Honda or my Yamaha there. It may not be any quieter decibel wise but it makes a less annoying sound than the Honda or Yamaha.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The predator 2000 should work just fine. Have a buddy with one and he has no complaints.

The only other thing to consider that hasn’t been mentioned here is the use of an extended gas tank. The Hondas are the only 2000 inverter with a mechanical fuel pump that will draw gas out of an extended tank that is at the same elevation (as in both in the bed of your pickup). All others (including Yamaha) would need the extended tank above the generator to allow gravity to operate the fuel transfer. Not a big deal to some but I enjoy not having to refuel my generator during a weekend trip with the cold/wind/snow.

You know I never thought about that I saw people putting the tanks up above and wondered why, my extended tank sits next to the gen and would not be without it, screw filling the gen in the dark half snapped up spilling gas all over the place.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nodakk wrote:</div>

You know I never thought about that I saw people putting the tanks up above and wondered why, my extended tank sits next to the gen and would not be without it, screw filling the gen in the dark half snapped up spilling gas all over the place.

Buying an extended tank was an absolute gamechanger. On an average 4-day fishing trip I generally don’t have to refill, and I run my generator all weekend. Sometimes I’ll top up the extended tank with another gas can if it is really cold to make sure fuel draws correctly, but generally not needed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There is nothing worse than some JA running his loud cheap generator while fishing or camping. Do yourself and others a favor and get a name brand quiet generator. Honda or yamaha 2000watt

Lol the Honda is the same decibel as the wen. This is a unreliable review.

I do agree that generators running all night are very annoying.

Doug M
    SE SD

We run the powerhorse 2000. Never had an issue with it. Thinking about upgrading to new 2300 powerhouse. On sale now for 499. Does the extended fuel tank work for these gravity fed as long as it is above the gen?

mrpike1973

After much consideration I went with the Honda EU 2200 companion. Mostly because it had a longer warranty and because that’s what my wife said pay now or later Not saying that the Predator may not have worked but many non start reviews whether operator or not The Honda had good reviews. Thanks for all the input I considered them all and non were wasted. Now the big question I can’t find Honda 10 w 30 oil will just some regular oil work? Thanks

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Most atv dealers will sell Honda oil. I have a case at home and no more honda atv. Come to North branch grab the garmin case and a lifetime supply of oil

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

After much consideration I went with the Honda EU 2200 companion. Mostly because it had a longer warranty and because that’s what my wife said pay now or later Not saying that the Predator may not have worked but many non start reviews whether operator or not The Honda had good reviews. Thanks for all the input I considered them all and non were wasted. Now the big question I can’t find Honda 10 w 30 oil will just some regular oil work? Thanks

Do yourself a favor and just run full synthetic, 10-30 or 5-30. I will run 10-30 in mine during the summer (warmer) months if I use it for any projects, but it gets 5-30 in the winter. Doesn’t seem to “freeze up” like it did with 10-30 conventional oil when it got really cold, and seems to start a bit easier as well.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mrpike1973 wrote:</div>

Do yourself a favor and just run full synthetic, 10-30 or 5-30. I will run 10-30 in mine during the summer (warmer) months if I use it for any projects, but it gets 5-30 in the winter. Doesn’t seem to “freeze up” like it did with 10-30 conventional oil when it got really cold, and seems to start a bit easier as well.

X2 Use 5w30 full syn only during the winter! FYI the companion model is made to hook up to another honda gen to double the output.

Nodakk

X3 on full synthetic and like John said above. The companion model is made to pair with another Honda for 30amp RV service

Jensen

Mr.pike Runnings in Hutchinson has some

Coletrain27

read the manual and use what the manual calls for

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.