What size rods?

• AaronMoore

Thinking of getting a Otter cottage (65H x 54W x 79D) or the Frabill recruit 59H x 52W x 59H) for this season as setting up a pop up is getting a little old. So what size rods can I fit in one of these flip overs with out hitting the ceiling? Thanks for your help

mitchfic
    Blaine, MN

You should look into the new Eskimo EVO shelter. They have a ton of room for rod setting.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I did the opposite switch but rod size I prefer for either setup is 32″-34″. For me the size thing is on all around fish ability for me. Enough length for fighting yet ease of getting to the hole for landing the fish at the hole. Personally I have not needed more than a foot of tip to set the hook ice fishing. Not saying that others do not need more for there style or rod type, I prefer rods that go into the backbone fairly quick.

AaronMoore

Mitch, I did see these huts but I still would like the straight flip over type.

mitchfic
    Blaine, MN

The straight flip overs still have quite a bit of set up from the travel position. With extending the poles and the supports. You should go to some sporting goods stores or one of the ice fishing expos coming up and sit in them for yourself to see what will work best for you.

mozy
    LQP

I’ve got a Frabill Trekker 2 and I believe it’s about the same size as the cottage. I bought a 32″ custom rod last year and was constantly hitting the front wall on hooksets. I previously used 28″ without issue. Going forward I’ll stick with 28″ or less…or get a bigger house.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Aaron,

I have fished the Otter Cottage for several years and I use rods in the low 30’s with out any issue !!!

Good luck this ice season !!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

It’s not the size of the flip over, it’s where the bench seat is set up. I fish with 42″ rods in an older otter cottage or cabin, the smaller one. All flip over manufactures have the bench seat set up on the front edge of the tub with your feet on the ice. I built a custom bench and mounted it along the back side of the tub so when sitting in the flip over, your back is against the back wall and your feet are inside the tub. The heater is also far enough away so you don’t burn your line or eyelashes. This is a better use of the limited space.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.