What should I offer???????

• mikee
    Aitkin, MN

I have a line on a 1999 Lund 1650 V Rebel. It has a 1999 Honda 30 HP four stroke engine (tiller) and Karavan trailer. Also has a bow mount MinnKota trolling motor that needs some work and a locator that needs replacing. Three seats. What would be a reasonable ballpark figure to offer?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I am not the expert, but my guess would be $4500-5000.

This time of year, maybe even less.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

After July 4, it’s a buyers market on boats. In April-June, it’s CrazyTime, but after July sales slow and prices decline. There will be another price dip after labor day when the kids are back in school and nobody has time to use a boat anymore.

Condition matters a LOT, but the average range is $3750-$5000 if the condition is between fair/average and excellent. Less if there’s a lot of dock rash, weather damage, or other issues.

Is this a friend or a relative where you feel like you have to pay roughly average market value or risk losing your nice guy status?

If it were me buying it, and assuming average condition, I’d offer $3250 and negotiate up from there. This time of year buyers are going to be few and far between unless the boat is absolutely cherry. IMO, this is not a boat that’s worth overpaying for as there are lots of Rebels out there.

Grouse

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

That 1650 in good/really good shape is worth between that 4000-5000 mark ! pay close attention to the shape of the floor and carpet wear, make sure all lights,pumps and such work and of course TEST DRIVE !! I would never BUY without a test drive first !!Even a New one.

JMHO Jeff

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

FWIW My dad paid $8000 in 2000 for a new 165 rebel with 50hp honda 4 stroke.

red89
    Hudson

Dave B is probably in the ballpark, but I would want it to be in great condition for that price. Just search lund rebel on craigslist and compare to whats out there. Lots of them for sale online.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Dave B is probably in the ballpark, but I would want it to be in great condition for that price. Just search lund rebel on craigslist and compare to whats out there. Lots of them for sale online.

The reason I went lower on the low end is that I very, very, very rarely see a 1999 boat in great condition. So I agree, 4-5k on the top end, but very few boats qualify.

Guys just do NOT maintain boats very well in general. Just reading the OP’s description, trolling motor not working, depth finder junk… What are the chances the rest of the boat is mint?

Rating on 10 point scale, most boats from that era IMO are a 4-6 on average. I’d say 1 boat in 50 is an 8 or better. So very likely 4-5k would be overpaying if the boat is in average condition.

Grouse

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

I have a line on a 1999 Lund 1650 V Rebel. It has a 1999 Honda 30 HP four stroke engine (tiller) and Karavan trailer. Also has a bow mount MinnKota trolling motor that needs some work and a locator that needs replacing. Three seats. What would be a reasonable ballpark figure to offer?

Last year I purchased a 2004 1650 Rebel VSS with a 50hp 3 cylinder mercury same year as boat in great condition for $3k. Had no locator or trolling motor. Everything on boat worked and carpet is still in great shape along with the seats. I can say I’m glad I purchased the boat because I got a great deal on it however I am ready for a larger WIDER boat. Even fishing two guys on this boat kinda sucks. Boat is extremely narrow and tippy. Can not move around if someone is standing in isle. Only down falls I’ve noticed to far. Storage on boat isn’t great either. Boat does go through chop extremely well and rides smooth in more then rough conditions for being a smaller boat. Good luck!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

30hp on a bigger boat brings down the $$ a tad, at least that’s the angle I’d go with. Probably trolls down nice though

mikee
    Aitkin, MN

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the input. I now have some idea what I will offer, probably somewhere in the $3,000 range. The motor is low hours, but the boat, I believe has been sitting outside, so the carpet and floor are not mint. Once again, thanks for the input.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.