What Muzzleloader Bullets are you shooting?

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

With the muzzleloader season kicking off this next Sat. thought I’d check and see what all you other muzzleloader hunters are using for bullets. I shoot a 45 Cal Thompson Center Omega. The last few years I’ve been using the Hornady XTP but have also used the Barnes Expanders with great success. My supply is getting a little low of each. Before I head out and locate a fresh supply, I thought I’d check to see if anyone here has a different bullet they would recommend possibly trying. I’m currently using Blackhore 209. I current am shooting 110 Grain by volume.

Jimmy Jones

If you’re shooting sabots, Fury makes a .40 cal, 225 grain Star Tip bullets that bonded. Super good accuracy and you’ll likely not going to need to change anything sight-wise.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If you’re shooting sabots, Fury makes a .40 cal, 225 grain Star Tip bullets that bonded. Super good accuracy and you’ll likely not going to need to change anything sight-wise.

Those Fury bullets look nice. I may have to play around with them some in the off season. Probably not enough time to get them and play with them before this season.

deertracker

Still having great success with the XTP’s. I’m shooting 300 grains with 77 grains by weight of Blackhorn.
    DT

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Still having great success with the XTP’s. I’m shooting 300 grains with 77 grains by weight of Blackhorn.
    DT

What is 77 Grains by weight + in measured volume? I assume with 300 grain bullet we are talking 50 Cal.

Jimmy Jones

Better re-read that thumper…. 300 grain bullet, and I’d assume eiother a .429 a .451 diameter bullet.

Blackhorn powder can vary in weight from lot to lot so one needs to be careful of weighed charges. Since the maker of the powder has alluded to the idea that blackhorn be measured by volume, one can determine what the weight of each different lot number actually will weigh is to measure out ten charges, say 100 grains to keep things easy, as close to identical as possible, then weigh each one, add the totals together and divide by ten.

When I began shooting BH209 I bought five or six 10 ounce jugs and they were all of lot 29. My 100 grain by volume average weight was 70 grains. The 110 grain by volume that I used in one gun with 1 specific bullet weighed 77 grains. My next lot of powder purchased was lot #31 and a ten 100 grain volumetric charge average was 83 grains in weight or 8.3 grains per 10 grains by volume so my weighed 110 grain by volume charges weighed 91.3 grains. From lot to lot BH209 can and does vary and it’s due to the weight of the individual granules of powder, the granule size has stayed static in the powder for since the beginning. The difference in lots and their granule weight is likely due to the maker using different sources to obtain the various components to make the powder. Nothing to really worry about, just something that people need to be made aware of if they are relying on weight to afford consistency.

MNdrifter

Haven’t shot them yet, but am going to try the Federal Trophy copper 270 grain bullets. Non sabots. Will probably start at around 100 grains of pellets. Reviews look good. Will report back, maybe someone here has some experience with these.

isu22andy

Barnes. Heard too many stories of hornady not expanding .

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Great success with Hornady Leverevolution . I handload for 50 cal Savage Smokeless and a New England Arms CONVERTED 45/70. FTX 250 GR for the 50 cal . n 200 grain 40 CAL SST Hornady Pistol bullet for the 45 cal . That combo in the New England Arms has been accurate and light recoil , plus its a lightweight break action makes it a great carry gun .

Jimmy Jones

200 grain 40 CAL SST Hornady Pistol bullet for the 45 cal

The SST Hornady is listed only as a muzzleloader bullet.

The SSTR’s are very accurate but they have very mixed reviews regarding terminal performance of deer sized animals. Some people report the bullets simply pencil thru animals and leave near nothing in terms of a blood trail , while others report that they gernade on impact and do not get into the vitals. I won’t use them on a game animal.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Haven’t shot them yet, but am going to try the Federal Trophy copper 270 grain bullets. Non sabots. Will probably start at around 100 grains of pellets. Reviews look good. Will report back, maybe someone here has some experience with these.

I switched to these last year. Two pellets of white hots in my Optima and they were minute of baseball at 100 yards, plenty good enough for me! Haven’t shot anything with them yet but hope to change that here in a week or two.

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    DT

What is 77 Grains by weight + in measured volume? I assume with 300 grain bullet we are talking 50 Cal.

I can check the volume when I get home. As far as the bullet, its a 44 caliber (.430) paired with a green crushed rib sabot shot out of my .50 call muzzy.
    DT

big_g
    Isle, MN

Good old Powerbelts, 245 Grain Aerotips and (2) 777 pellets… 50 cal Omega waytogo

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Needless to say, Finding any .45 Cal bullets around here is next to impossible. I guess this is why I should check my bullet supply long before muzzleloader season. The only thing I could find in .45 cal were the Hornady SST. Reading mixed reviews on them. Although most of the Neg. reviews are rather old and I hear they made a change to the design in the last few years. I may just shoot them at sight-in and then shoot 1 of the Barnes expanders that I have remaining just to check to make sure it hits near where the SST does. I have a few Expanders remaining and will most likely use them for hunting. Other than Powerbelts there was almost nothing available around here for bullets. Even in 50 cal. In the off season I’m going to get a supply of those Fury bullets and do some shooting and testing of them. That way I’ll be all ready in advance next season.

brandyman
    West central MN

Powerbelts me 295 grain with 3 pellets of 777 power. My boy has killed 2 doe with 245 grain power belts and 2 pellets. I just like all the smoke!

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>

The SSTR’s are very accurate but they have very mixed reviews regarding terminal performance of deer sized animals. Some people report the bullets simply pencil thru animals and leave near nothing in terms of a blood trail , while others report that they gernade on impact and do not get into the vitals. I won’t use them on a game animal. At what point in the animals death did the bullet fail ? Quote from Nosler

to a complaint LOL My experience has been excellent with the 40 cal SST,s out of my 45/70 out to 100yd mind you i am shooting higher velocity with smokeless powder

Jimmy Jones

My experience has been excellent with the 40 cal SST,s out of my 45/70 out to 100yd mind you i am shooting higher velocity with smokeless powder

I have a Woodman Patriot that I shoot smokeless and used the 195 grain Barnes Expander this season. I may still buy the muzzleloader license and hunt the muzzy season and will use the 225 grain .40 Fury bullets if I do.

Coletrain27

Haven’t used my muzzleloader in years but I always used powerbelts and had good luck with them

grpubl7
    Central WI

In my 45cal Hawken I have had great luck with TC Maxi-Balls. Never recovered a slug with shots to 125yds w/90gr FFg Goex.

Of course I hed to go hi-tech and use the 40cal SST as well as the .357″ Dead Center PRBullets (both 175 & 195gr). With 90-120gr of 777, all did massive damage on deer shot in the ribcage. These are what I currently use in my 45cal Firebolts. The 175gr took out both legs (high) on one doe at 40-45yds and made kind of a hideous exit. It put her on her chin and she plowed a furrow in the snow for about 15yds.

Attachments:
    1. 15895171_285266275204828_4493414650832442010_n.jpg

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>

The SSTR’s are very accurate but they have very mixed reviews regarding terminal performance of deer sized animals. Some people report the bullets simply pencil thru animals and leave near nothing in terms of a blood trail , while others report that they gernade on impact and do not get into the vitals. I won’t use them on a game animal.

My bad XTP is the pistol bullet

Jimmy Jones

For those who are shooting Barnes bullets, the Expanders and the XPB’s are essentially the same bullet. I use the XPBs in my Accura and my Optima pistol, both .50 cals and 250 grain, .451 and 225 grain, .429 respectively. I buy these without sabots as the ones that come with the Expanders I do not like. Again, respectively, I use black and green Harvester sabots with the XPB bullets.

I’ve never recovered a bullet from the Accura, driven by 110 grains [v] BH209 powder. I have recovered two from the Optima pistol which pushes the bullets at right around 1500 fps, and both of those bullets went from in front of a shoulder diagonally thru the deer and were under the hide at the opposite hindquarter.

I mentioned the 225 grain, .40 cal Fury bullet earlier here, but I have yet to hunt it. Maybe during the muzzy season or next year. I ordered a couple hundred of them to shoot, both in a .45 Kodiak with Blackhorn powder at about 2000 fps or the Patriot rifle using smokeless at around 2500 fps, both using sabots.

Fishthumper commented to me that anything .45 cal is tough to locate in stores. I’m certain that Don Meier can relate to this: back in the dark ages when muzzleloaders were first being brought to the market as hunting tools, they were primarily .45 cal. or .54 cal. .45 caliber was the everyday caliber back then. When the .50s began to show up they took the market by storm and eventually the .45 got far less attention, especially in new gun sales and the components began to disappear from the stores’ shelves. In more recent years and with the advent of more interest in the .45, both as black powder/sub and smokeless guns, the .45 cal bullet market has blossomed, primarily with on-line sales and the bullets selection is growing every year. Many of the bullets being sold today have a focus on long range accuracy . Many of those bullets, when used for hunting can have devastating terminal results on a deer at smokeless speeds so one has to be careful in bullet selection. Bonded bullets or the monolithic bullets seem to do the best with the .45s in the field today. The newer bullets can cost upwards of $2.00 each so someone wanting them is probably a pretty serious long-range shooter. Used on deer, they can get ugly. Today the XTP pistol bullets and a couple of the .458 rifle bullets are perhaps more common in the deer woods and they do an excellent job on deer out to three hundred yards. I think the most common XTP bullet weight in the woods is .300 grain either in the .451 or the .429 sizes. Personally, I left the XTP market as a hunting bullet and went to solid copper to help get lead out of the field, but this Fury bullet came along and being bonded I like it a lot and will at least give it a try on deer as it’s hard to get them to come apart inside the deer.

There is a vast market for those with .45 cal rifles if one look on-line. Dop some reading in some of the muzzleloading forums and you’ll find them. And for any that question whether a .40 cal bullet can get the job done effectively and cleanly, the first deer I shot with a Barnes Expander was on a slight sidehill eating its way straight to me in the stand. The deer’s head was down nose to the dirt and the bullet hit about six inches behind the ears when I shot and the bullet exited just ahead of the diaphram thru the sternum. The deer mule kicked at impact so hard that it broke both of its hind lower legs. Exit hole about 2″

Here’s an example of what a newer, high tech, .45 cal bullet, shot bullet to bore, no sabot at smokeless speeds. The bullet was a 300 grain, .45 Arrowhead. Appropriate for paper punching, maybe not so much for deer hunting.

Attachments:
    1. 37664-a608f2fea45fc15c23241419463ba60f.jpg

big_g
    Isle, MN

makes easy work for the grinder I guess… crazy

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Ive been using the furys for 2 years in a 50 cal and 40 cal. Bang flop on a deer with either cal.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Same set up as deertracker in my .50 accura. I’ve experience very minimal meat damage, 3 have dropped where I shot them and 3 no more than 30 yards. 1 made it all of 75 yards, the ironic part of it is that he went uphill most of that 75 yards with a bullet hole right through his heart. Shots were all between 10 yards and about 80 yards.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

295 gr Powerbelts and 3 white hot pellets for me out of optima v2 lr. Can get sub 2 moa at 200 yards with this set up. Although have not shot a deer with it yet frown this is third season with it. Love the gun just need to shoot something with it!

tornadochaser

Barnes TMZ for my .50 cal optima. Lazer accurate over blackhorn 209. Can still push them pretty easy in a barrel that’s had 7 shots fired already with negligible accuracy change.

Attachments:
    1. 20211106_145217.jpg

MNdrifter

Sorry for the late update to my reply to this post. This is the last 4 shots I took at 75yrds. One single on the right was the last shot I took after I had it dialed in for hunting a couple weeks ago. 3 touching on the left are today since I was done muzzle loading, I figured I might as well shoot the round I had in it and a couple more since I have to clean it before putting it away for the season. I’d say 2 50gr 777’s and the 270gr federal trophy coppers are the ticket.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3836-scaled.jpeg

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

X2 on Harvester crush rib sabots,especially if your shooting 777

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I just thought I’d post my somewhat test results of the effects of shooting from a cold barrel. My gun was zeroed during warmer weather and with the gun coming from a warm house. After the 1st weekend of season I fired the gun after sitting in the cold garage overnight. It hit about 1″ low. Reloaded it and after the 2nd season after sitting in a cold garage overnight. Shot it again. It hit a 1/2 ” lower than previous shot. so 1.5″ lower than initial sight in. The 2nd season the overnight temps were not as cold as they were the 1st weekend. All shots were done without any cleaning in between shots. So rather the drop was from the slightly more fowled barrel or from it sitting in the cold I don’t know, but there was a effect in the trajectory. Wish I had a Chrinograph so I could have measure the velocity change. But I did not. So based on my limited test I’d say that there was some effect from the cold or fowled barrel.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.