What load and choke do you use for pheasant hunting?

• Reef W

A couple years ago I switched to Bismuth. I’ve been using a 12g IC choke with 5 shot in a 3″ shell. I know a lot of people think that’s overkill but I don’t like runners whistling I did have a bit of a problem last year though with close shots over a pointing dog so am considering changing it up a little this year. They don’t make smaller shot in bismuth so I could try a skeet tube or go down to 2 3/4″ shells that aren’t so hot.

I’m also wondering what’s commonly used in a 20ga since I will have a new hunter this year and have never personally shot a 20ga before.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I almost always carry a 20 gauge. My normal load is a 3 inch in #5 with copper or nickel plated shot. This load absolutely stones pheasants. However, be warned that in light double they kick like a mule.

IMO a 12 gauge 3 inch is massive overkill for pheasants. You will kill them just as dead and not tear them up so badly with a 2.75. If you can’t kill them stone dead with a 12 and a 2.75 load, the problem ain’t the load. The problem is the nut behind the butt plate of the stock needs to be tightened up. This problme is surprisingly common.

Grouse

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

16 gauge with 2 3/4″ shells is all I will use with great success.

A 12 gauge often patterns worse than a lot of the 16 and 20 gauge applications depending on the choke and shot.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Nothing Fancy.
    The majority of what I’ve used is: 12ga, 2-3/4″, 6-shot, Modified Choke. I have gone to a higher speed #5 load in windy conditions.

404 ERROR
    MN

Same gun I use for every other bird, SX2 12ga with a Carlsons mod. For load, I use a 2 3/4″ 4 or 6 shot kent steel. I have no issues using steel, like so many people seem to have.

In my house, the ONLY lead I have is for trap shooting. It makes things easier and it’s incredibly easy to distinguish. If the shell is grey, it’s steel. If it’s red, it’s lead.

Reef W

IMO a 12 gauge 3 inch is massive overkill for pheasants. You will kill them just as dead and not tear them up so badly with a 2.75.

I was accustomed to longer shots and didn’t have an issue with it tearing them up. It wasn’t until I got my dog a few years ago that I started having more shots where they are coming up at my feet. It’s definitely overkill then if I don’t make myself wait long enough which is why I want to change it.

When I initially switched to bismuth I was using Rio that were 3″ but still only 1 1/4oz loads. Once I couldn’t find that anymore and switched to Kent I had to get the 3″ 1 3/8oz loads for the same velocity, that’s another factor that I didn’t really mean to increase. Going to 2 3/4″ would be less pellets and less velocity which would certainly tone it down a bit.

I have no issues using steel, like so many people seem to have.

Only problem I have with it is biting a pellet flame Bismuth is very brittle. Especially with Rio there was usually just some bismuth dust left in the wound channel.

Nothing Fancy.
    The majority of what I’ve used is: 12ga, 2-3/4″, 6-shot, Modified Choke. I have gone to a higher speed #5 load in windy conditions.

The main reason I was using the 3″ was the higher speed, there just aren’t many bismuth options to get the combo that I want of a lighter load with high velocity. To get the higher velocity I also have to get a heavier load.

Jeff Schomaker

I have reloaded every pheasant and quail load I’ve ever shot and for both it’s been #6’s. We used to use 5’s for pheasants and 7.5’s for quail but we hunted a lot of ground that had both and you never knew what the dog was pointing so we just went with strictly 6’s and never had a problem. I’ve never had a pheasant get away and blamed the shell or the gun. Always the shooters fault. So that being said if you’re going strictly for pheasant then I’d say the best load I’ve ever shot was a 1.25 ounce of #5’s with an improved cylinder choke. Will stone any pheasant dead out to 45-50 yards if you’re doing your job.

Jeff Schomaker

And I’m with a lot of the guys that shoot 20 gauges. That’s all I ever shot growing up and still love it today. Never once did I ever say I wish I had a 12 gauge. So it’s definitely not the gauge. A close family friend only carried either his 28 gauge or 410 and never once had a bird get away.

Reef W

So that being said if you’re going strictly for pheasant then I’d say the best load I’ve ever shot was a 1.25 ounce of #5’s with an improved cylinder choke. Will stone any pheasant dead out to 45-50 yards if you’re doing your job.

That’s exactly what I had initially with the Rio but went up to 1-3/8oz when I switched to Kent. I think this year I’ll go back down to 1-1/4oz which is also 100fps slower and see how that goes.

sktrwx2200

Winchester Super Pheasant.. 2.75″ 5s.. shoots 1450fps. high brass.
    Fiocchi Golden Pheasant is good too.. 2.75″ 5s… but slower at only 1250. So I dont like it as much.

Found a Carlsons Light Mod. choke tube that is “PERFECT” for hunting wild South Dakota roosters…

you can keep your Black Cloud and things like that..

John Christesnen

Federal Red box 2 3/4 inch 5s for early season and as soon as it starts to get cold or we get our first snowfall Federal Red box 3 inch 4s. I typically shoot long range full choke all year as I don’t want to bother with having multiple chokes to keep track of while hunting doves, geese, ducks, and pheasants.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Mod or IC with 2 3/4 #5 wherever lead is allowed. Maybe even #4 lead late season.

IC with 3″ #4 or #3 where steel must be used.

zooks

Mod choke with an older Gold, Federal or Kent 2 3/4″ #5 1 3/8th oz for the majority of the season, will use some 3″ #4 after Thanksgiving if it’s cold/windy, use 2 3/4″ #4 steel as well.

Have purchased Prairie Storm in the 3″ #4 and I really like those but unless it’s under 30 degrees and blowing 20+, any 3″ shells usually stay in the ammo box.

jwellsy

12ga high brass #4’s. I want to put the hurt on em, and not let em run after being hit.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

A different twist on things…

My black powder 12ga double is choked modified and improved. I shoot copper plated 5’s over 90 grains of FF. I use the old “square load” rule of thumb. In other words I use the same measure for powder and shot. I’m guessing it’s about an ounce and a quarter. Last year I shot at some big pieces of cardboard at 30 yards and was delighted at the nice even patterns I got.

It just takes me a little longer to re-load.

SR

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Early season Cyl/IC over & under. Early season loads are 1 oz of 7’s in the cyl barrel and 1 1/8 oz 6’s in the IC. As the season moves on I switch to SK/Mod with 6’s and 5’s. I hunt over pointers and 90% of my birds are killed under 30 yards.

If I’m in nontoxic shot areas I shoot my A5 with steel #2’s.

Tim owens

X2 on shot. Skeet over I/c.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

2.75″ prairie storm. 5 shot. Modified choke.

CaptainMusky

12 guage, 2-3/4″, Modified choke, 5 shot (lead – pheasant forever load), 3 shot (steel). I try to get 1-3/8″ ounce if I can. Much lower than that and I notice more cripples.

reddog

October thru December. 20 guage, O/U, Skeet/IC, 1 oz 6 lead, 2 3/4 . December to end of season, guage and chokes stay the same but switch to 3 inch #5s Pointing dogs. I dont shoot if theyre not in my targeted range..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.