What are the Jaycee rules?

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Went to sign up and noticed there seem to be conflicting rules. The jaycee site says “catch a fish win a truck” etc suggesting it is essentially a raffle. But the fish donkey app says that the top 500 longest fish go on the board.

Anyone know which it is?

I also just saw a brainerd dispatch article from today saying it is about length. Need to bump board all fish, top 500 go on the board, but the big prizes are random. This is not what was in the thread a while back.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Went to sign up and noticed there seem to be conflicting rules. The jaycee site says “catch a fish win a truck” etc suggesting it is essentially a raffle. But the fish donkey app says that the top 500 longest fish go on the board.

Anyone know which it is?

Official Rules

Section 3 covers your question.

Ripjiggen

Seams like the only fair way to give out the prizes without some kind of cheating is to randomize the prize lengths. Sure seams like a pile contest at this point.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Seams like the only fair way to give out the prizes without some kind of cheating is to randomize the prize lengths.

They are somewhat randomized, top 500 go into a raffle for the 150 prizes.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Seams like the only fair way to give out the prizes without some kind of cheating is to randomize the prize lengths.

They are somewhat randomized, top 500 go into a raffle for the 150 prizes.

I guess that is what I was getting at. Winning a truck for longest fish would make for some interesting pictures.

blank

I think the “catch a fish, win a truck” line is nothing more than a marketing line. It might be a little misleading, but it gets attention.

At first thought I agree that it seems like it’ll be a pike contest. After thinking through it I’m not sure if all 500 places will be pike. The contest is just 12-3pm on Saturday. I don’t think there will be nearly as many people entered this year as a normal year of 10k people. Somewhere on the app it shows how many participants are entered. I think the last I heard a few days ago it was something like 1,500. Not everyone will catch a pike and not everyone will care to target pike if they’re fishing for fun. Additionally, the catch of the day species is crappie, so if you buy that additional “ticket” I’m sure people may be targeting crappie instead of pike.

Overall I think the Jaycees have done the best they could given the situation. And in the end I think people need to remember that this isn’t just a fishing tournament. It’s a fundraiser to help support a bunch of local non-profit organizations.

blank

Another funny thing about this year is the ice conditions. Currently out on Hole in the Day Bay on Gull there is only about 10-12″ of ice. I don’t remember exactly how much ice there needs to be for the sheriff to approve of the contest, but I think it’s 16 or 18″, so the normal event would have very likely have been postponed or cancelled.

Ripjiggen

Didn’t mean to come off as ripping on the tournament. Was just an observation from a distance. Good on them for figuring out a way to still do it. Good luck to all participating.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Didn’t mean to come off as ripping on the tournament. Was just an observation from a distance. Good on them for figuring out a way to still do it. Good luck to all participating.

I didn’t think you did. I was kind of thinking the same thing myself. Can’t be easy to regulate something like this when you have to do it “virtually.” Quite honestly I’m interested in how successful it is too.

blank

I didn’t take it as a rip….although with such a name, hmmm…

Charles

I the check this morning they were sitting around 4k signed up. I will be mainly be doing crappie/sunfish but my tip up will be along the edge of the weeds just in case.

I am shocked that the fishing for ducks is still going on this year, granted they change the format a bit but still crazy.

Question is next year? Virtual or Not.

Whateverbites

Their Facebook page has a lot of updates.

It looks like they wanted to make it completely random, but that would not fly with the gaming commission, it has to have some skill involved, or it is just a raffle.

The 150 prizes are scattered evenly amongst the top 500 fish, so if you are in the top 500, you have a 30% chance at a prize.

I would assume Pike and Walleye will make up most of the 500 in top lenth, but wont be surprised to see some crappie and tullibee get into that top 500.

the 128th longest fish will win the truck

as someone mentioned earlier, there will probably be less than 1500 contestants, a certain percent will not catch any fish in those 3 hours. a certain percent will catch fish, but fail to correctly register them.

Personally, I will target pike, but if its 2:30 and I don’t have a pike, I will transition to getting the longest possible crappie to make sure I have a fish on the board.

Good luck to everyone participating, and thanks to the Jaycees for adapting and overcoming this year

blank

I the check this morning they were sitting around 4k signed up. I will be mainly be doing crappie/sunfish but my tip up will be along the edge of the weeds just in case.

I am shocked that the fishing for ducks is still going on this year, granted they change the format a bit but still crazy.

Question is next year? Virtual or Not.

Wow, that is more people than I thought.

Yeah, the DU thing should be very interesting. Seems like a logistical nightmare.

blank

Their Facebook page has a lot of updates.

It looks like they wanted to make it completely random, but that would not fly with the gaming commission, it has to have some skill involved, or it is just a raffle.

The 150 prizes are scattered evenly amongst the top 500 fish, so if you are in the top 500, you have a 30% chance at a prize.

I was wondering if the gaming commission rules had something to do with that.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Well I had fun – and it’s the first tourney I actually caught fish in. Four in-laws and ample light beer made for a fun time. Yes, it lacks the excitement of a huge tourney, but it is more exciting than just fishing when you might get lucky and win something.

I do think that if they are going to bother making it a multi species event that they should have taken the top 100 of each species and mixed them up somehow for the prizes – otherwise just call it pikefest and be done.

Good on them for making it happen, hopefully with the low (no?) overhead they still raised a lot for good causes.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.