Western WI Rut Activity

• Nick Johnson

Hey Folks!

Just curious about rutting activity in Western WI (Polk County Area) What have you all been seeing? I’m liking the cold temps slated for this week, but the wind looks brutal. Happy Hunting

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Big shift in movement today after that stormfront last night in SW Monroe county. Had a big buck traveling with a big doe at 915 this morning, not chasing. My post ‘great morning encounter’ goes in more detail on that, and then round two with that buck tonight. Also saw two small bucks up early 430ish pm and cruisimg/grunting. I’d say this week from what I’ve seen previous will be the best week to call/rattle as the boys are ready to go but not the does If history follows they can be pretty readily coerced into checking out what sounds like a fight without the random doe to lead them astray for the next week or so. Then sometime around Halloween all hell will break loose (during daylight anyway) if the weather keeps this cool pattern with full on chasing through the first week of November.

Surprised at how few scrapes I was seeing out there when I did the camera card swap tour Saturday.

riverruns
    Inactive

Big shift in movement today after that stormfront last night in SW Monroe county. Had a big buck traveling with a big doe at 915 this morning, not chasing. My post ‘great morning encounter’ goes in more detail on that, and then round two with that buck tonight. Also saw two small bucks up early 430ish pm and cruisimg/grunting. I’d say this week from what I’ve seen previous will be the best week to call/rattle as the boys are ready to go but not the does If history follows they can be pretty readily coerced into checking out what sounds like a fight without the random doe to lead them astray for the next week or so. Then sometime around Halloween all hell will break loose (during daylight anyway) if the weather keeps this cool pattern with full on chasing through the first week of November.

Surprised at how few scrapes I was seeing out there when I did the camera card swap tour Saturday.

Funny how this pattern has been text book for the last 38 years I’ve ben able to hunt. I’m sure it wont change next year either.

Us hunters only try to hurry nature along.

zubba
    potosi,wi

saw this guy 2nite at 545 in the field chasing 5 doe. I was feeding and checking my bees. This is in sw Wisconsin. This colder weather will help. Been awhile since I had a good Halloween hunt. Pretty sure a 4 yr old 6×6 with a split brow on rt..

Attachments:
    1. 12-ptr-e.jpg

2. 12-ptr-a.jpg

Pete S

between my buddy on our land and two of our neighbors, 3 140″+ bucks were killed within a 24 hour period last wknd. SW WI

craig s

Been over in Polk 3 of last 4 days. little dumb bucks are on the move and most does have kicked the fawns off.i think we’re still a week away from things really heating up?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Took my son for a drive just south of town (galesville) just before dark and we saw a descent, probably 3 year old who was have a rough time deciding if he should harass some of the 3-4 does/fawns in the field or go after the small buck that was also in the field.
    Didn’t see any chasing activity over the weekend in SW Monroe county but had some small bucks up roaming, fawns with no doe around and missed a nice one Sunday am. I’m suspecting we should be in for a good show of chasing when I cross over to MN to hunt the early gun season.

craig s

With the temps the way they are MN gun season could be phenomenal! I’ll be crossing the river with my bow!
    Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.