Wear your PFD!

• Jonesy

I did and it sure came in handy tonight when my ass fell out of my boat.

Tripped over my kicker tiller handle and I was out before I even had enough time to say ohh SH%&%&

I’m not saying it saved my life. But it sure made getting into my boat a much less panic inducing affair. Gave me time to collect my thoughts and some strength and my buddy helped pull me back in.

I wear in inflatable every time I am in the boat, which is a lot. Worked as advertised tonight.

Oh and in case you are wondering. RS nets do not float and neither do smartphones lol

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Glad to hear you are ok! I also wear a PFD all the time in a boat. Dont really enjoy it but it’s the smart thing to do

shefland
    Walker

Good for you, I wear my inflatable 90 percent of the time, sometimes forget to take it off! One thing I am going to do this year is use the dead man switch, almost never do, I fish alone a lot, if I go over, do not want to be in the circle of death

Adam Steffes

I wear my inflatable as an example for my kids and I don’t want some silly avoidable accident to be the thing that keeps me from making it home. Forgot to take it off til I was getting in the truck the last time out.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

momma said if i cant say nothing nice, don’t say nothing at all. glad you are ok.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Good to hear your inflatable worked and you got back into the boat.

I wear an inflatable all of the time when I’m in my boat. My kids are required to, so it’s a good example for me to do so as well. In tournaments we are required to wear them above a trolling speed, so why not just keep a comfortable inflatable on at all times.

I have the opportunity to jump in the boat with many other people and I usually bring my inflatable as well.

Sylvanboat

I wear this all the time in the boat. Never take it off until the boat is trailered. Light and compact. I don’t even know it’s on. Good luck.

Photo won’t load. Pfd is Onyx AM 24.

Jason

Glad your ok.
    I got a side question on the inflatable PFD’s though. How long can you trust the cartridges? Is it 2-3 years or ??
    Nobody wants a vest with a dud cartridge but they don’t give them away either…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

These are the “ wear your pdf” posts I like EVEN if it didn’t save a persons life.

Much better then hearing about a drowning.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The cartridge will last forever if it’s not punctured.

On Float-Techs, if the pill is bad, the pfd inflates.

It’s recommended to change the pill every 3 years for sport fishermen and every 2 years for guides.

But in my experience it’s more about how a person takes care of them when not being worn. Stored in high humidity areas etc.

Glad your ok.
    I got a side question on the inflatable PFD’s though. How long can you trust the cartridges? Is it 2-3 years or ??
    Nobody wants a vest with a dud cartridge but they don’t give them away either…

toddrun

Most come with a manual way to inflate as well. Which is a good backup unless you get knocked out or something going overboard.

B-man

Glad you’re okay sir!

Your accident is the perfect example of why they need to be worn all of the time.

David Bollig

Two drownings in Tuesday’s paper, one Lake Ida, one Leech lake. Leech Lake he was fiddling with drain plug. Partner couldn’t save him. I 100% wear inflatable and anyone who fishes in my boat wears a pdf or they don’t fish in my boat.

Gregg Gunter

Glad you’re ok! I have a rule that everyone wears a pfd in my boat too. It’s just like wearing your seatbelt. I had a neighbor who took his young grandson fishing. The boy went overboard and he went in to try and save him. Both drowned in an avoidable tragedy. I hope more folks can avoid this and arrive alive.

Jason
    Hastings

What brands of inflatables are you guys wearing? Considering going this route over the foam ones.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I bought an inflatable life jacket after some years ago a lone Muskie angler went missing late fall on Mille Lacs. His boat washed up on shore. His body wasn’t found until the next year. I fish alone plenty and decided that I would wear one all the time going forward. I’m still working on using the kill switch cord 100% of the time. I haven’t gotten to the point of remembering to remove it before I leave the helm.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Cold water is nothing to joke with either. Per the 1-10-1 rule:
    1 minute to control your breathing.
    10 minutes of useful action.
    1 hr of survival.

A PFD can make the difference and extend your survival time.

robby
    Quad Cities

Great post. Thank you for sharing. I too fell in for the first time last year. Was cold and windy. Just glad you are ok.

Sylvanboat

What brands of inflatables are you guys wearing? Considering going this route over the foam ones.

I use the Onyx AM 24. Very compact and light. My Buddy has the BassPro version. It is a little bulkier.

fishdale

Glad things worked out.

I have converted to strapping on my kill switch that’s a start maybe someday I will start wearing a life jacket. Baby steps

Jonesy

Thanks everyone. I know BK usually puts up a post every year as a reminder but figured my first hand experience could hopefully remind somebody to make sure they are wearing theirs.

FWIW mine was the Onyx AM24, it auto deployed, the cartridge and everything is on its 3rd year, and I am what many would call a large man and it absolutely held my head above water even with my bibs and ice armor jacket.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Glad you are OK Jonesy. Wrong time of year for a swim.
    Summertime I wear the inflatable all the time. This time of year (cold water) I wear a regular pfd.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks everyone. I know BK usually puts up a post every year as a reminder but figured my first hand experience could hopefully remind somebody to make sure they are wearing theirs.

FWIW mine was the Onyx AM24, it auto deployed, the cartridge and everything is on its 3rd year, and I am what many would call a large man and it absolutely held my head above water even with my bibs and ice armor jacket.

I too am glad you are ok. Question for you I just bought an inflatable this year but have yet to even put it on. You mentioned you had bibs and armor on, curious was the life jacket under or over the ice armor jacket?

Gitchi Gummi

Glad to hear you are safe. I just replaced the pill on my Onyx AM24 last year because the 3 year window passed. Rather than just replace it and throw away the old pill, I did a “test” and jumped into the lake with it on. It was good practice and makes me feel more comfortable wearing it in general just having that experience of going in the drink with it on once.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You don’t have to fall in each year J! It’s safer to just post a reminder. wave

Jonesy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jonesy wrote:</div>

I too am glad you are ok. Question for you I just bought an inflatable this year but have yet to even put it on. You mentioned you had bibs and armor on, curious was the life jacket under or over the ice armor jacket?

It was on over everything I had on.

Also I went back a few days later and after 90 minutes I was able to snag and get my RS net back so that was nice

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Glad you are okay Jonesy.

From the Minnesota Boating Safety Guide for 2021:
    Some inflatable life jackets are required to be worn in order to be counted as one of your U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable flotation devices—check the label for indication. Inflatables are not approved for use on personal watercraft or while waterskiing or similar sports. Always read the label for intended use and follow any restrictions.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Always over the top of other clothing…Float-Tech makes a jacket/windbreaker that will expand if the pfd inflates.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.