What kind of duck

• MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Here’s some pics of a duck we got today. Just thought it would be neat to see what people think it is. We had to double check when we got home. I’ve only ever shot teal, mallards and woodies so it was nice to see this. What do you think?

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

another

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

another

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

last one

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

last one

flick
    Alma WI

Its a Hen Redhead!!!

flick
    Alma WI

Its a Hen Redhead!!!

gunakapaducka
    bettendorf iowa

looks like a ruddy to me!

gunakapaducka
    bettendorf iowa

looks like a ruddy to me!

jesse
    mn

Not to be rude or anything, but shouldn’t you know what it is prior to shooting it. Just some constructive critisizm to hopefully save you a citation later.
    Good luck next time out

jesse
    mn

Not to be rude or anything, but shouldn’t you know what it is prior to shooting it. Just some constructive critisizm to hopefully save you a citation later.
    Good luck next time out

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

It actually came in as a duo with a drake woodie which was what threw us off. Normally its not an issue, but I understand what you’re saying.

Today we saw a real mixed bag as well. There are quite a few ducks (mallards & woodies mainly) in the Chisago area, as well as geese. The geese wouldn’t even take the time to look at us this week. They all appeared to be heading out to the fields. The ducks that have been coming in have been the singles, doubles and triples. Haven’t been able to pull in a flock yet. Maybe the Mojo will work tommorrow.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

It actually came in as a duo with a drake woodie which was what threw us off. Normally its not an issue, but I understand what you’re saying.

Today we saw a real mixed bag as well. There are quite a few ducks (mallards & woodies mainly) in the Chisago area, as well as geese. The geese wouldn’t even take the time to look at us this week. They all appeared to be heading out to the fields. The ducks that have been coming in have been the singles, doubles and triples. Haven’t been able to pull in a flock yet. Maybe the Mojo will work tommorrow.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

yep Redhead

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

yep Redhead

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Mama Redhead.

I have to agree with the earlier post. It is very important to be sure of your target before shooting. I do understand mistakes do happen but we all have to be very careful.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Mama Redhead.

I have to agree with the earlier post. It is very important to be sure of your target before shooting. I do understand mistakes do happen but we all have to be very careful.

Gator Hunter

TBeirl514
    Covington Indiana

A very ill eagle .

TBeirl514
    Covington Indiana

A very ill eagle .

pitbull
    Too far from the river

It looks like a dead duck to me

pitbull
    Too far from the river

It looks like a dead duck to me

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

We have a winner. Tasty too.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

We have a winner. Tasty too.

dr_hook
    Minnestrista

Is this not a juvenille drake redhead? I thought the hens did not have much color to their heads at all……

dr_hook
    Minnestrista

Is this not a juvenille drake redhead? I thought the hens did not have much color to their heads at all……

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I thought it was an eclipe or juvenille too.

Or maybe the head is just blood stained??

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I thought it was an eclipe or juvenille too.

Or maybe the head is just blood stained??

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

A C.O. agreed that it was a hen red.

Has anyone seen any odd ducks. I know last year there was a drake that appeared to be a cross between a mallard and a woodie hanging around Baypoint in Red Wing. I’ve also heard of a couple albinos shot on Bear lake by Albert Lea.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

A C.O. agreed that it was a hen red.

Has anyone seen any odd ducks. I know last year there was a drake that appeared to be a cross between a mallard and a woodie hanging around Baypoint in Red Wing. I’ve also heard of a couple albinos shot on Bear lake by Albert Lea.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

you should see some of the crazy lookin ducks that are hangin around lake winona . they’re definatly a cross bread of a mallard and something, but i’m scared to think of what that something might be. looks nothing like any normal kind of duck i’ve ever seen .

another spot i’ve seen some weirdos over the years has been silver lake. last year there was a goose around for a couple days that had a COMPLETELY white body, but a normal canadian goose neck and head. strangest thing i’ve ever seen.

then there’s always my budy IGOR….the 20 pound greenhead . this thing could put a mask on and cross as a goose any day. i’ve seen him the last two fall/winters at silver lake. he usually hangs around all winter.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.