just how good can they see?

• woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I was sitting on shore in some tall grass with a big tree over my head. Lots of leaves. My boat was along shore 20 feet away covered with camo tarps. I had full camo on except for my face and hands. I know how to be still, and was. My gun has the matte finish. Had mallards comming into my 2 dozen decoys, wings locked and they bailed out both times at the last minute and didn’t come back. Must have seen me. Just how smart are these ducks?

pitbull
    Too far from the river

You will be amazed on how your face and hands stick out!

There could be a ton of reasons…No motion in your decoys,the wind was in the wrong direction..etc

pitbull
    Too far from the river

You will be amazed on how your face and hands stick out!

There could be a ton of reasons…No motion in your decoys,the wind was in the wrong direction..etc

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I have been considering on getting one of those motorized decoys where the wings spin. Think that might help? $118 at Gander is tough price for an experiment.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I have been considering on getting one of those motorized decoys where the wings spin. Think that might help? $118 at Gander is tough price for an experiment.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Ducks have excellent eyesight. I’ve seen them flare upon seeing a spent casing floating in the decoys.

Woolybugger, I have two spinning wing decoys and I love them. The only downside I have is they sometimes flare ducks on bright sunny days. They are a huge advantage at first light or on cloudy rainy/snowy days.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Ducks have excellent eyesight. I’ve seen them flare upon seeing a spent casing floating in the decoys.

Woolybugger, I have two spinning wing decoys and I love them. The only downside I have is they sometimes flare ducks on bright sunny days. They are a huge advantage at first light or on cloudy rainy/snowy days.

Gator Hunter

tgif

If you can see them they will likely be able to see you. A silhouette flinching in the rushes, lifting the gun up, a glaring face, shining calls or bands, rims of eye glasses, jewelry, etc. can eventually be seen by local ducks that have had pressure on them and circle the spread. Local ducks see the same basic spreads, learn to stay away from bullrush points on shore, the same #’s and size/models of decoys and the more times they circle the more likely they will see you or something they don’t like. Calm/glass surface water is tough….the ducks seem to know from 75 yards those aren’t real ducks. Try kicking water, throwing rocks, jerk cords, etc. to show some movement. Set the spread with a wide landing area that allows the ducks to use the wind (if there is any) to come in. Sometimes hunting the right wind is better than being at the easy set-up location. How much calling or competition/skybusting from other hunters can flare ducks. I have seen ducks coming in better with minimal calling just to keep them in the right direction or no calling at all….they were screamed at all weekend by good and bad callers. New spread formations and different size of decoys as well as multiple types of decoys…mallards,teal,pins, bills, woodies, geese etc. in the spread even if you are not hunting a particular duck or haven’t seen certain ducks in your area. Some guys use mostly pintail decoys to hunt mallards. If you field hunt you’ll know how mallards respond to can. goose dekes and flagging. Flagging has worked on water as well. Basically keep trying to be creative and will get you some better shooting opportunities and when new ducks come into your area it will be a whole lot better. Good Huntin’ TGIF

tgif

If you can see them they will likely be able to see you. A silhouette flinching in the rushes, lifting the gun up, a glaring face, shining calls or bands, rims of eye glasses, jewelry, etc. can eventually be seen by local ducks that have had pressure on them and circle the spread. Local ducks see the same basic spreads, learn to stay away from bullrush points on shore, the same #’s and size/models of decoys and the more times they circle the more likely they will see you or something they don’t like. Calm/glass surface water is tough….the ducks seem to know from 75 yards those aren’t real ducks. Try kicking water, throwing rocks, jerk cords, etc. to show some movement. Set the spread with a wide landing area that allows the ducks to use the wind (if there is any) to come in. Sometimes hunting the right wind is better than being at the easy set-up location. How much calling or competition/skybusting from other hunters can flare ducks. I have seen ducks coming in better with minimal calling just to keep them in the right direction or no calling at all….they were screamed at all weekend by good and bad callers. New spread formations and different size of decoys as well as multiple types of decoys…mallards,teal,pins, bills, woodies, geese etc. in the spread even if you are not hunting a particular duck or haven’t seen certain ducks in your area. Some guys use mostly pintail decoys to hunt mallards. If you field hunt you’ll know how mallards respond to can. goose dekes and flagging. Flagging has worked on water as well. Basically keep trying to be creative and will get you some better shooting opportunities and when new ducks come into your area it will be a whole lot better. Good Huntin’ TGIF

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Thanks for the informative article tgif. It will certainly help some people get more ducks this season and for seasons to come.

I will have to second the jerk cord for movement in the decoy spread. I have used that technique for years and it works well. Anything to get the deeks moving. Quiver magnets also work well when you are only using a small spread.

On sunny day I sometimes use a face net to keep the ducks from seeing the glare from my face. Even then I try not to look directly at a flock that is coming in to my decoys.

one more thing, in this warm weather we are tempted to pull our sleeves up or wear short sleeve shirts to stay cool. When this is done your arms are very easy for ducks to see even if you don’t move.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Thanks for the informative article tgif. It will certainly help some people get more ducks this season and for seasons to come.

I will have to second the jerk cord for movement in the decoy spread. I have used that technique for years and it works well. Anything to get the deeks moving. Quiver magnets also work well when you are only using a small spread.

On sunny day I sometimes use a face net to keep the ducks from seeing the glare from my face. Even then I try not to look directly at a flock that is coming in to my decoys.

one more thing, in this warm weather we are tempted to pull our sleeves up or wear short sleeve shirts to stay cool. When this is done your arms are very easy for ducks to see even if you don’t move.

Gator Hunter

mustbefishing
    Ladysmith, WI

I know a guy who has flown over marshes in an airplane. He said that hunters’ faces stand out like a neon light. I have gone to a face mask as well. It seems to help. Also try to set up with the sun (and wind) at your back. This way you are in the shadows and the ducks are looking into the sun during their approach. That really seems to help me. If I had a dollar for everytime ducks that I thought were sure things all of a sudden up and left, I would be a millionaire. And the same conversation occurs everytime. “Did they see something?”, “Are the decoys not right?”, “Do we need to move to a new spot?”, “Did I mess up the calling?”, etc. Sometimes we can find something they “might” have seen or other “new ideas” to make the next ones come in. Most of the time, I think that they just changed their minds. Because the next flock doesn’t hesitate, that tells me that the old saying is true,”You can’t please everyone (or every duck)”
    Keep rackin’ your brains and hopefully some idea will work out for you. Hide that face though.

mustbefishing
    Ladysmith, WI

I know a guy who has flown over marshes in an airplane. He said that hunters’ faces stand out like a neon light. I have gone to a face mask as well. It seems to help. Also try to set up with the sun (and wind) at your back. This way you are in the shadows and the ducks are looking into the sun during their approach. That really seems to help me. If I had a dollar for everytime ducks that I thought were sure things all of a sudden up and left, I would be a millionaire. And the same conversation occurs everytime. “Did they see something?”, “Are the decoys not right?”, “Do we need to move to a new spot?”, “Did I mess up the calling?”, etc. Sometimes we can find something they “might” have seen or other “new ideas” to make the next ones come in. Most of the time, I think that they just changed their minds. Because the next flock doesn’t hesitate, that tells me that the old saying is true,”You can’t please everyone (or every duck)”
    Keep rackin’ your brains and hopefully some idea will work out for you. Hide that face though.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Great info. You are helping me a lot. I have shot a lot of ducks in the past but only jump shooting while floating small rivers in central WI. Sitting over decoys seems to be a whole new game and I am enjoying it so far. I have a MN and a WI license so I have been hunting a whole week now. Every day I learn more.

What about mixing the flock of decoys like you said. Should I mix the teal, bluebills and mallards all up or should I keep them seperated by groups?

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Great info. You are helping me a lot. I have shot a lot of ducks in the past but only jump shooting while floating small rivers in central WI. Sitting over decoys seems to be a whole new game and I am enjoying it so far. I have a MN and a WI license so I have been hunting a whole week now. Every day I learn more.

What about mixing the flock of decoys like you said. Should I mix the teal, bluebills and mallards all up or should I keep them seperated by groups?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

First of all, I like mixing as many species and models of decoys as I can. I think it just looks more natural having different decoys in different positions.
    I mix teal, mallards, woodies, and pintails and put my bluebills, cans and geesse separately. I don’t put out my bluebills and cans till later in the year.
    I usually put my puddlers in a hook fashion and I put my divers in double line leading to the main group of decoys. I put my geese on the downwind side just outside the other decoys. All plans are, of course, subject to change at any time.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

First of all, I like mixing as many species and models of decoys as I can. I think it just looks more natural having different decoys in different positions.
    I mix teal, mallards, woodies, and pintails and put my bluebills, cans and geesse separately. I don’t put out my bluebills and cans till later in the year.
    I usually put my puddlers in a hook fashion and I put my divers in double line leading to the main group of decoys. I put my geese on the downwind side just outside the other decoys. All plans are, of course, subject to change at any time.

Gator Hunter

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey wooly, I know some guys down here in iowa camo thier faces with face paint. If hunting ducks is anything like deer then you gotta have face and hand camo, its a must. I’ll bet they can sight in on just one leaf on the ground while thier flying down. I’ll bet two of thier natural predators are mink and weasels and i’ll bet thier looking for anything where thier going to land. i’ll bet on it.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey wooly, I know some guys down here in iowa camo thier faces with face paint. If hunting ducks is anything like deer then you gotta have face and hand camo, its a must. I’ll bet they can sight in on just one leaf on the ground while thier flying down. I’ll bet two of thier natural predators are mink and weasels and i’ll bet thier looking for anything where thier going to land. i’ll bet on it.

flick
    Alma WI

I wont enter the duck swamp without a pair of gloves an a face mask.Although sometimes I dont wear a glove on my calling hand..muffs the call alot…..Never look up at the ducks when they are over head either…..Just stay still..In high pressured areas sometimes the best thing to do is not to call at all….I dont know how many of you belive or use the feeding mallard shaker calls…but I am a firm believer in them…..work that with one hand an the call in the other..sound just like a flock of mallards…

flick
    Alma WI

I wont enter the duck swamp without a pair of gloves an a face mask.Although sometimes I dont wear a glove on my calling hand..muffs the call alot…..Never look up at the ducks when they are over head either…..Just stay still..In high pressured areas sometimes the best thing to do is not to call at all….I dont know how many of you belive or use the feeding mallard shaker calls…but I am a firm believer in them…..work that with one hand an the call in the other..sound just like a flock of mallards…

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

As of last night, having added a few things to my collection, I now have 30 mallard decoys, 12 teal, 4 woodies, 3 bluebills, 3 geese and a roto duck where the wings spin. I have a shaker call that I expect to use a little and a regular call that I don’t expect to use at all as I am not to comfortable with it yet. I have all the makings to build a blind on my jon boat. I can’t wait till morning.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

As of last night, having added a few things to my collection, I now have 30 mallard decoys, 12 teal, 4 woodies, 3 bluebills, 3 geese and a roto duck where the wings spin. I have a shaker call that I expect to use a little and a regular call that I don’t expect to use at all as I am not to comfortable with it yet. I have all the makings to build a blind on my jon boat. I can’t wait till morning.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I don’t think the feeder shaker calls sound quite as good as a feed chuckle on a good call, but if you are hunting alone, I can see where they would be great. Spending some time in the off season feeding park ducks can really tune your ear to what a feeding chuckle sounds like!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I don’t think the feeder shaker calls sound quite as good as a feed chuckle on a good call, but if you are hunting alone, I can see where they would be great. Spending some time in the off season feeding park ducks can really tune your ear to what a feeding chuckle sounds like!

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

for all you duck hunters, who here that hunts waterfowl gets thier face and thier hands painter up with camo?? I went and got myself some camo face paint, but have yet to see anyone wearing it. if these dang ducks can see all that well, don’t you think wearing some camo face paint would help with the beeming in the rushes? I am just remembering back to my military days and having to live in camo paint. ahhh memories!!!! just wondering what other people are doing to cover thier out hunting.

thanks

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

for all you duck hunters, who here that hunts waterfowl gets thier face and thier hands painter up with camo?? I went and got myself some camo face paint, but have yet to see anyone wearing it. if these dang ducks can see all that well, don’t you think wearing some camo face paint would help with the beeming in the rushes? I am just remembering back to my military days and having to live in camo paint. ahhh memories!!!! just wondering what other people are doing to cover thier out hunting.

thanks

shane

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I wear a camo mask. It also helps to look at the ducks from under the bill of your cap. Camo gloves are also very important.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I wear a camo mask. It also helps to look at the ducks from under the bill of your cap. Camo gloves are also very important.

Gator Hunter

redneck
    Rosemount

Amen to the camo facemask. It doesn’t do any good to be all camoed up and have a shiny 870 barrel right up by your face though. I bought one of those 31/2 870 Express in synthetic and took the camo bow paint to it right out of the box. Another thing I see is people moving around too much when the ducks start coming in. On a windy day you can get by with movement but on a still morning it really shows up a long ways off. Sometimes it helps to walk a distance away and look at your set-up. I went back to the truck one time and when I got a distance away I looked back and our blind looked like a box sitting there. The way the sun was hitting it made the camo pattern look totally different. Then there are those days when the ducks are still piling in as you stand in the decoys picking up. I need to get off this computer and go Duck hunting but I am working on the honey do list today so we will be ready to leave Wednesday for Norh Dakota. Going to be a long few days at work!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.