3″ F shot?

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

This is a stupid question or inquiry… but where did the F shot go on the market? You can find T shot anywhere and everywhere, but no F. I remember dropping many geese out of the sky with these loads when waterfowl hunting switched to steel.

The main reason I ask is I ran across a couple old boxes sitting in the basement in perfect condition. I shot a couple of the shells on a recent trip and they kick as hard as ever.

Was there problems with these shells in the past or something? I would hate to damage my gun(or worse) if there is a reason they arent on the market anymore. They are Federal shells.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Most people that shot F ended up sky busting and doing the poke and hope. T shot is really all you need these days with 1550 speeds. I shoot mostly BBB and 1’s.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Most people that shot F ended up sky busting and doing the poke and hope. T shot is really all you need these days with 1550 speeds. I shoot mostly BBB and 1’s.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

I absolutely agree… I generally have BB as my goose loads(and late season mallard loads) and I have plenty of confidence in it… I just dropped 2 with #2 dead as a doornail on sunday(1550’s).

I know its overkill(F), but it saves me from investing in more shells when I run out of BB’s if im not at risk of blowing my gun up when I pull the trigger. I have them, may as well use them! I am not the sky-busting type of guy. Im not fond of hitting a goose 60 yards above my head and have it go gliding to a crash 400 yards away on the other side of the lake, or in the woods somewhere!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

I absolutely agree… I generally have BB as my goose loads(and late season mallard loads) and I have plenty of confidence in it… I just dropped 2 with #2 dead as a doornail on sunday(1550’s).

I know its overkill(F), but it saves me from investing in more shells when I run out of BB’s if im not at risk of blowing my gun up when I pull the trigger. I have them, may as well use them! I am not the sky-busting type of guy. Im not fond of hitting a goose 60 yards above my head and have it go gliding to a crash 400 yards away on the other side of the lake, or in the woods somewhere!

col._klink
    St Paul

I am not sure if I am blind but I noticed Gander had 1’s in 3″ shells. Wow they put the smack down

col._klink
    St Paul

I am not sure if I am blind but I noticed Gander had 1’s in 3″ shells. Wow they put the smack down

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

David. I still have some F’s in both 12 and 10 gauge. I have used them over decoying birds late season or trying to hit a cripple. Normally use BB, BBB, T’s or 1’s. All at 1550 and a Pattermaster choke tube!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

David. I still have some F’s in both 12 and 10 gauge. I have used them over decoying birds late season or trying to hit a cripple. Normally use BB, BBB, T’s or 1’s. All at 1550 and a Pattermaster choke tube!

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

arent they illegal?

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

arent they illegal?

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

In some state F’s are illegal.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

In some state F’s are illegal.

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

arent they illegal?

Not in MN (I think)

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

arent they illegal?

Not in MN (I think)

kris_brantner
    My river

am i crazy to think that the perfect goose shell is the 3in 2 shot kent??? ive put many a smeck down with this load and use the same load for late season mallards and when shooting cans. i like to use 4 shot early in the season when they have less fat on them to go through and you run into alot more woodies teal and the smaller ducks like widgeon and gads

kris_brantner
    My river

am i crazy to think that the perfect goose shell is the 3in 2 shot kent??? ive put many a smeck down with this load and use the same load for late season mallards and when shooting cans. i like to use 4 shot early in the season when they have less fat on them to go through and you run into alot more woodies teal and the smaller ducks like widgeon and gads

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I tell you…I have been shooting the Kent BBs this year for honkers and I am really pleased with the results.
    I shoot 3s for ducks all year. Big enough to put the smack down on Mallards and cans but small enough to not destroy smaller ducks.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I tell you…I have been shooting the Kent BBs this year for honkers and I am really pleased with the results.
    I shoot 3s for ducks all year. Big enough to put the smack down on Mallards and cans but small enough to not destroy smaller ducks.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Kris. I usually shoot 1’s and BB or BBB. 1’s threw a Patternmaster really crush them!!!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Kris. I usually shoot 1’s and BB or BBB. 1’s threw a Patternmaster really crush them!!!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

BBB’s for geese and 2’s for ducks!!!!!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Quote:

Same for me
    Am trying the Black Cloud this year too, and so far so good
    cheers

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Quote:

Same for me
    cheers

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I like #4 for ducks in the early season.. works great until the birds get into their full cold weather plumage. From there its #2 or BB all the way. Nothing like those big late season Mallards hovering in front of you taking 3 shots to the chest leaving a cloud of feathers behind(each shot)… and still flying off into the sunset?

If I could afford it, I would be shooting nothing but some of the alternative non-toxics out there like heavy shot.. but I’m not about to jump in with both feet at $2.50 each shell

But.. its not late season yet!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I like #4 for ducks in the early season.. works great until the birds get into their full cold weather plumage. From there its #2 or BB all the way. Nothing like those big late season Mallards hovering in front of you taking 3 shots to the chest leaving a cloud of feathers behind(each shot)… and still flying off into the sunset?

If I could afford it, I would be shooting nothing but some of the alternative non-toxics out there like heavy shot.. but I’m not about to jump in with both feet at $2.50 each shell

But.. its not late season yet!

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

Quote:

Same for me
    cheers

Heard nothing but good news about Black cloud I have 2 boxes just waiting to be opened!

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Quote:

Quote:

Same for me
    cheers

Heard nothing but good news about Black cloud I have 2 boxes just waiting to be opened!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I checked into the regs and it doesnt say anything about shot size… so I guess if I actually hit anything with these 48 pellets.. its going down!

If anyone hears anything landing on their roof around Rochester soon.. it might be me a couple miles away shooting at geese with bowling balls… I assume this stuff carries a ways.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.