Water Gremlin forced to close

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m not necessarily defending the company in this case, but most companies have safety rules established.

It’s almost always the employees though, that are guilty of not following the proper protocols and this could include supervisors as well. But they are employees too.

You can tell some people over and over again, and sometimes they still get lazy or look for shortcuts.

200% agree. There are no facts released as far as I know so I’m withholding judgment. Do we even know whether or not the regulations are capable of even preventing the lead poisoning?

Far too much unknown to even concern myself with this. This is why we have a court system.

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>
    I wont be buying anymore of their products.

Make sure your car and boat doesn’t have a battery in it then. SMH

Shake your head at yourself, or even throw in the coffee emoji, does a much better job at showing your mental superiority.

I don’t expect to change the world, their business practices or anything else. Personally I do what I can where I can. Alot better than shaking your head at people who want to make a difference no matter how small.

If anyone has a lead, *cough*, on what other manufacturers to stay away from with WG products I’m all ears.

Amen brother.

I am past tired of the folks who are hell-bent on making perfect the enemy of good. Just because an individual’s actions don’t have the power to change the entire world overnight, does not make those actions worthless.

No, your car probably won’t run without a battery. That has absolutely ZERO to do with making the switch to tungsten for your recreational needs.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have clamped splitshot with my teeth my whole life and i am perfectly normal………

whistling

Now THAT’S funny! Now THAT’S funny!

B-man

I looked up a list of side effects of lead poisoning in adults, most of us have a few of these……

abdominal pain is usually the first sign if a high dose of lead is ingested.

raised blood pressure.

joint and muscle pain.

constipation.

anemia.

tingling, pain, and numbness in the extremities.

memory loss and decline in mental functions and repeating oneself.

headache.

abdominal pain is usually the first sign if a high dose of lead is ingested.

raised blood pressure.

joint and muscle pain.

constipation.

anemia.

tingling, pain, and numbness in the extremities.

memory loss and decline in mental functions and repeating oneself.

headache.

Timmy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Timmy wrote:</div>
    I have clamped splitshot with my teeth my whole life and i am perfectly normal………

whistling

Now THAT’S funny! Now THAT’S funny!

Thank you, I’ll be here all week. make sure to tip your waitresses….. toast

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>zooks wrote:</div>
    Please don’t side with the corporation providing poor/unsafe working conditions vs the employees that are just working a decent job and trying to make a living.

I’m not necessarily defending the company in this case, but most companies have safety rules established.

X2
    Not enough info to start pointing fingers but if you’re working for a company that primarily deals with manufacturing items made out of lead you need to protect yourselves by following the rules. EVERYONE knows lead is hazardous, EVERYONE.

It’s almost always the employees though, that are guilty of not following the proper protocols and this could include supervisors as well. But they are employees too.

You can tell some people over and over again, and sometimes they still get lazy or look for shortcuts. neutral

Deleted

Company safety rules are wrote up by attorneys – specifically for liability deniability. Lawyers get hundred of dollars per hour. Don’t believe it? Look up any work comp case. Employee #123 failed to adhere to policy # 345…… he died. Not our fault. Ask him.

Nevermind that we worked him like a mule and threatened his job at every turn, just to squeeze out every last drop of production from him, til the day he slipped and fell into the meat grinder. Yes, we require slick bottom shoes on the 15% grade floor that leads to the grinder. He should have known better. He should have paid more attention. He should have been better prepared while working this $15/hr job.
    We have safety rules dammit!
    NOW HIRING

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Company safety rules are wrote up by attorneys – specifically for liability deniability. Lawyers get hundred of dollars per hour. Don’t believe it? Look up any work comp case. Employee #123 failed to adhere to policy # 345…… he died. Not our fault. Ask him.

Nevermind that we worked him like a mule and threatened his job at every turn, just to squeeze out every last drop of production from him, til the day he slipped and fell into the meat grinder. Yes, we require slick bottom shoes on the 15% grade floor that leads to the grinder. He should have known better. He should have paid more attention. He should have been better prepared while working this $15/hr job.
    NOW HIRING

So, there shouldn’t be any safety rules?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

NOW HIRING

A very presumptuous opinion. I work for a company that’s grown from 2 to 100 employees. I have been a major part of implementing safety rules and I can assure you none of our safety rules were implemented to eliminate liability.

Some company may operate like that but it’s a small minority. In those types of company morale is always a major problem.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I think Thomas is referring to when he worked for Carnegie steel just out of high school, you know, very common workplace safety rules.

Deleted

Keep drinking the kool-aid. There was a time when I didn’t know much either.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Is that time you were referring to, now?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

You’re “Golden”…

…but can you dance?

Attachments:
    1. Lost_in_Space_GIF14.gif

2. Lost-in-Space-The-Golden-Man.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I really appreciate you guys helping me feel younger. Thanks! yay

Deleted

…..

Attachments:
    1. 42713C4B-BBAA-41B5-8972-E7485965DAE4.jpeg

404 ERROR
    MN

Is that time you were referring to, now?

I do believe so, based on the reply above…

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I saw on the news the employees are rallying for WG to reopen. They said they follow protocol and none of their kids tested high for lead and that coworkers whose kids tested high weren’t following the safety measures they have in place.

B-man

Rooster-lolipop??? I don’t get it laugh

matt

Anyone know the dive rate of tungsten core line?Whats the cost?If I remeber rite they want like 3$ each for a 3/8oz tungsten jig.Could get pretty spendy fishing the river

onestout
    Hudson, WI

No, it’s chicken candy.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Anyone know the dive rate of tungsten core line?Whats the cost?If I remeber rite they want like 3$ each for a 3/8oz tungsten jig.Could get pretty spendy fishing the river

seventeen dolllers, hows dat?

B-man

A pair of choppers?

Tungsten too brittle…..no worky.

If leadcore gets banned you guys will learn to love Copper or Torpedo Weighted Steel. A lot of us great lakes guys use it already.

Deuces

From CBS:
    ““To the extent that Water Gremlin has said that this is the result of employee misconduct when we were there on Saturday there were no supervisors staff that we were able to observe, so if you want employees to follow the rules you need to make sure they are following the rules,” Leppink said.

Commissioner Leppink says Water Gremlin must address the real issues behind it being shut down.

“There is a language barrier here, there is a cultural barrier here, they are employing a large number of temporary employees who circulate into their workplace. So then your vigilance in training has to be here, here is not okay,” Leppink said.

WG also told their employees they would be getting paid during shutdown so that is good news. How much pay idk.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

From CBS:

Commissioner Leppink says Water Gremlin must address the real issues behind it being shut down.

“There is a language barrier here, there is a cultural barrier here, they are employing a large number of temporary employees who circulate into their workplace. So then your vigilance in training has to be here, here is not okay,” Leppink said.

WG also told their employees they would be getting paid during shutdown so that is good news. How much pay idk.

There was an article about this on the front page of this morning’s Strib.

The article said there were 9 different languages spoken in addition to English, so obviously there is a language barrier.

The article also said that an employee group had a petition with 250 signatures asking that the plant be allowed to reopen.

Kind of a tough spot for both sides but sounds like the company has to improve enforcement of the safety rules. How you communicate that in the “Karen” language is something they need to figure out.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

NOW HIRING

Spot on!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I don’t think a small amount of exposure like that has much of an effect on adults (unless you’re chomping on them everyday).

I am not a physician so I won’t go into a lecture… You might want to research this a little bit more before making this statement. Lead is toxic at extremely low levels and cannot be cleared from the body via normal metabolism. Once I did a little research I quit biting down on sinkers, pouring jigs (fumes) and reloading. Just sayin’.

404 ERROR
    MN

I don’t think a small amount of exposure like that has much of an effect on adults (unless you’re chomping on them everyday).

I am not a physician so I won’t go into a lecture… You might want to research this a little bit more before making this statement. Lead is toxic at extremely low levels

Correct, but maybe you should research a little more about absorption rate between ingestion and inhalation…they are two completely different exposures and the body absorbs them VERY differently. To the tune of 20-100%…yes, lead can be bad for the human body, but it’s misunderstood how the body actually absorbs lead to elevate BLL’s.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Correct, but maybe you should research a little more about absorption rate between ingestion and inhalation…they are two completely different exposures and the body absorbs them VERY differently. To the tune of 20-100%…yes, lead can be bad for the human body, but it’s misunderstood how the body actually absorbs lead to elevate BLL’s.

Good point Eagle. I understand the absorption issues and will maintain my policy of avoiding breathing lead containing fumes and putting solid lead in my mouth. I have done both in the past and am still here without major known neurological issues, but prefer to not push my luck. This is much like sun exposure. I have skin issues due to sun exposure in my younger days. My doc has told me most of the damage that can be done from the sun has already occurred. Yet, I where sunscreen, face wraps and wide brim hats when I’m in the boat. To each their own!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.