Was that a poaching bust Monday on Pool 4 at dam?

• eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

On Monday it looked like the DNR busted a boat with 5 anglers near the dam on Pool 4.
    They had them pull their boat to shore and proceeded to empty multiple coolers of fish and
    started counting them.
    After a prolonged period of time, the anglers left the bank in their boat and headed downstream.
    Anybody else see this?
    I can’t find any info as yet on what was really going on.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

2nd hand info to follow.

That boat was fishing in the spring restricted area.
    Tyler Quant a MN CO motored up next to them. After seeing their fish, had them go over to the sand bar where they took out each fish. Tyler was seen taking photos of the fish.

No info after that point.

The white bass are schooled there.

In the boaters defense as I know we’re all thinking they were over limit, with 5 people in the boat they could have had 125 white bass in their possession. That would be hard to count in the boat.
    On the other hand, it would be odd to take pictures of a limit or less.

big_g
    Isle, MN

selfies ? devil

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Saturday I was up that way and counted over 25 people on the rocks fishing up tight to the dam. Also noticed a boat below me with binoculars out ;)

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

If they were fishing in the restricted area, is the limit not zero, since they weren’t suppose to be in there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good point. ^

Sunday there were +30 on the WI side with 4 boats on shore in the 150′ restricted area. +15 people on the MN side.

Then out of the blue they all left at once.

I found out later there were two guides that independently called the Co’s from MN and WI. The MN Co made it there first and wrote (2nd hand info) 27 tickets.

I’m guessing that’s when the WI side cleared out.

Later that day I was wondering why I didn’t try and warn those people. Came down to having to pull anchor and taking the chance of a confrontation (although I would have politely informed them, then left before a confrontation would have started.)

I know, here come the haters….

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

Curious, what is the spring restricted area for?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

For the months of March and April we aren’t allowed to fish within 300 feet of L&D #3. I would assume it’s because of the fish being stopped by the dam during their upstream spawning migration.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Gee…If they wanted a bunch of White Bass they could have just gone over to the Wolf river… No limit there. grin

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In the boaters defense as I know we’re all thinking they were over limit, with 5 people in the boat they could have had 125 white bass in their possession.

Don’t I know. I remember you introducing me to an Iowegian in the cleaning shack that one time. talk about carnage!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

With a limit of 25 flats/channels combined with a WI license…you really haven’t seen the true meaning of carnage. coffee

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

If the DNR says it’s ok to keep them and there is no proof the fishery is affected… what’s the problem with keeping 25 cats apiece… devil

Sorry couldn’t resist lol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s really no different then raising the walleye/sauger limit to 25. You’re correct Southern friend.

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

No problem keeping 25 channels but no reason to keep more then one flathead at a time.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

WICathunter11 for WI Conservation Congress member! Please send me your email!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.