Pike fishing on Pepin

• hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

My step-son is home from North Carolina and wants to hit Pepin next week for couple of days. We are going to fish for walleye and sauger, but he really wants to just fish pike! Looking for suggestions on general location,depth and lures to try for pike? Thanks for the help!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

If all he wants are pike, come fish pool 7 and 8. He will have his hands full. And they will be stinky!

FDR

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Two options for trophy pike this time of year on pepin.
    1) Hit the mouth of the Rush river-anchor up and toss out sucker/bobber rigs, toss big baits or troll the mouth if people are not anchored up fishing.
    2) Find out the sailboat harbors that have been dredged, hitting springs in the process-pike lye down in these harbors, livebait,deadbait or lures work.

Just utilize a quick strike rig if going livebait. NorthAmericanFisherman did a show on the summer pike fishing on pepin and scored in the harbors.

Good luck and post some pics of the pigs you catch!

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Two options for trophy pike this time of year on pepin.
    1) Hit the mouth of the Rush river-anchor up and toss out sucker/bobber rigs, toss big baits or troll the mouth if people are not anchored up fishing.
    2) Find out the sailboat harbors that have been dredged, hitting springs in the process-pike lye down in these harbors, livebait,deadbait or lures work.

Just utilize a quick strike rig if going livebait. NorthAmericanFisherman did a show on the summer pike fishing on pepin and scored in the harbors.

Good luck and post some pics of the pigs you catch!

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

It pays to pay attention to chatter.

thebigfishman
    Apple Valley, MN

Hello,

There is a garenteed mn state record pike in the sippi north of pepin. I witnessed a buddy of mine this spring hook into a monster while walleye fishing. No joke this fish was easily 55 inches+ and well over 40 lbs, we had no net so I tryed bear hugging the thing to get it in the boat and it made one big shake slipped out of my arms and back down to the depths she went. I’ve caught and witnessed several 50+ in muskies caught and this pike put all those to shame. Just thought I would share.

Take care!
    Kevin

rangerski
    North Metro

I’d bet your buddy will never let you forget about that one… I believe there are some pigs in the sippi….

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

I don’t believe much in “Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”, man, it’s only fishing.

Damn internet.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Thanks guys for all the info, my step-son reads this, we will not being doing much walleye fishing! What do you recommend for lures to use? I have bucktails,sandcats and super shad raps? Will post pictures if we get any good ones!

frank_the_tank
    Red Wing, MN

caught this one in the rush on 6/25. dont be afraid to troll up into the Rush during this high water period. we snagged 5 in about an hour then they shut off.

GUK
    Lake City, MN

The bridge at Maple Springs is loaded with pike right now for those of you who are looking to get that slime all over your boats carpet!

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Is Maple Springs down past Lake City? What do you recommend to throw at the pike? I have mepps and some other buck tails? What depths are working?

esox60
    Aledo, IL

So how did you do?

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Fished Rush in front of the mouth in about 4-10 fow throwing mepps Musky killers with no luck. There was a boat anchored in mouth both days with bobbers. Fished Pine Creek with little to show with any decent size. Wish we would have made it down to Maple Springs, but did find some walleyes and saugers in 5 fow wanting #5 flicker shads!! I need to get with someone who knows the area better than I do, Just started to fish Pepin this year!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.