Bag Limit; Iowa-Wis

• FallingRock1
    Eastman Wi

I got to talk to the local warden yesterday and the Iowa DNR
    told him that if you are fishing with a Wis Lic and are on the Iowa side with more than 6 fish you will be ticketed.Now you have to remember that the center of the channel is the state line,so if you fish out past the lock chamber at Lynxville your in IOWA.Becareful

Brian Lyons

Definitely a step in the right direction for the walleye/sauger fishing on the border water
    Iowa is slow,but we do catch on eventually
    Six fish on the river in Ia., Wisconsin or MN. It only makes sense to be consistent.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Thats six fish per person I assume?
    JWB

fishsqzr

The reason there is some differences between state laws right now is the timing when the regulations went/go into effect. Iowa regulations went into effect on January 14, 2004 to coincide when new licenses are required. Wisconsin new bag limit regulations will go into effect on April 1, 2004. So there will be a period of time between Jan., 14 and April 1, 2004 when regulations will be different between the two states. After April 1, walleye/sauger bag limits will be uniform (6 fish in any combination) between IA-WI,and IA-IL.

RandyK

Now I’m really confused. I’m more concerned about the Iowa-Illinois border and the ban (state of Iowa) on immediate tailwater fishing below Dam 13. During the few months when the regulations are different, is the deciding factor a)what side of the channel you are fishing b) what state’s license you possess or c) both a and b.
    I was under the impression that since I am an Illinois licensed angler, I can still fish the tailwater (both sides of the river) until the regulation for the tailwater ban goes into effect for Illinois. But in the first post, it would appear that it also depends on what side of the channel you are on??? Can an Illinois angler still fish the Iowa side of the channel below the Dam in the next few months? Can an Iowa angler fish the Illinois side and still be legal?
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m basically a shallow water walleye guy who releases almost everything. I’m not out to capitalize and fill my freezer. But I’d like to legally catch some fish when the ice breaks up in a few weeks.
    Help!

fishsqzr

The last post has it correct. When the closure went into effect on Jan., 14, 2004, there is no fishing allowed in tailwaters on the Iowa side of the river, regardless of which license you carry. The dividing line between IA and IL for fish and game regulations is the middle of the main channel (sailing line). At Bellevue since the locks are on the Iowa side – the middle of the sailing line is the middle of the lock chamber – therefore most of the tailwater at Bellevue is on the IL side of the river. It is legal for IL licensed anglers (either residents or non-residents) to fish in IL waters even though fishing is closed in IA’s protion of the tailwaters. The Illinois closure law does not go into effect until April 1, 2004. Beginning December 1, 2004 until March 15, 2005, the entire tailwater area will be closed because laws for all states (IA, IL, and WI) will be in effect(only at Locks and DAms 11, 12, and 13). Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

BassBull1
    Prairie du Chien,WI

I would have to put in a small arguement as far as where the state lines are as far as when your in WI our Iowa .For years the old saying was the middle of the bouyed channel.Thats because of the troubles we use to have running nets down by the mouth of the WI. RIVER.The DNR always told us to go by that.Just because the tug boats run to one side of the dam to go thru does make it the boundery between to states?? Just my thought on it.I think you would have a good case in court if you had to fight a fine? STEVE

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.