Pool 2, 11/03

• walzer
    Afton, MN

I was finally able to make it out on Pool 2 on Saturday. The water is still really dirty with only about 4-6 inches of visibility. We spent the day pitching ringworms to wingdams using 1/4 oz jigs and a variety of colors of ringworms. The bite was overall pretty slow with only two fish brought in and a couple of others that got off before we had a chance to see them. One of the fish brought in happened to be a nice 29″ and very fat. That was my Dad’s largest walleye to date and one that he won’t soon forget. As soon as the water clarity improves a bit I think the bite will really take off.
    One neat thing that we saw was a small 4 or 5 point buck swam across the river about 100 yards away from us to an island. We watched him until he disappeared on the island and were commenting on how you don’t see that everyday and all of a sudden a lound bang came from where the deer had gone to and then we realized that it was opening deer season. Not a good day for that little guy.
    Overall it was a great day on the river; great weather, a lot of scenery, and my Dad’s largest walleye to date. Things should start picking up down there soon, I should have another report up next week on any improvements.

walzer
    Afton, MN

Sorry about the picture quality, my camera’s battery died on me and had to take the picture with the phone.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yeah no doubt about the camera, next time get up a pic so we knwo where you were fishing

Kidding aside NICE FISH! Always makes up for a low numbers day I gotta start making time to get out this year has been terrible for me.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Nice fish! What a pig! I was out this morning (sunday 11/4) and found it to be a tough bite for me. I did get one 24″r. I took a picture but am still using 35mm film, and I’m on #8 so……….. The fish came on a firecracker/chartreuse tail ring worm with 5/16oz jig on the deep front base of a wingdam close to the river channel. Early in the morning I went with purple Kalin tails with no luck. Hope to get out some more this week.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Nice gut on that one!!!

-J.

buschman
    Pool 2

Nice fish!! Thats a good way to turn a slow day into a great day. It looks like you guys that I ran into down at the launch. My last time down prior was Thursday and there was a huge difference in just those few days in current and we also seemed to get some clarity. Good meeting you and maybe well run in again. Our biggest ended up at 25″ but quite a few small ones Our 1st three eyes in the boat were under 20″???? I have not seen that in a long time down there! Purple/char, Firecracker, and char pepper all caught fish.

walzer
    Afton, MN

It was nice to meet you too Buschman. I always launch there and I’ll probably be down there most Friday’s or Saturday’s so maybe we’ll run into each other again. Hopefully the clarity improves this week, if it does I think this weekend should be a good one.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice fish. Pool 2 sure is putting out a good number of big fish this last week. Sunday was great fishing weather but a little slow for our boat also. Managed only 5 walleyes for the day but I sure did enjoy hunting for them in near perfect conditions. Water clarity seemed to be down a little on sunday from mid week. Thinking that the big end of the season push in barge traffic may of had something to do with this. Soon as they sow down again it should help water clarity.

fredbart
    St. Paul

Hey Mike:

Slow day for me as well, I did get one of the nicer smallmouths I have caught on Pool 2 on a K Grub. Also caugth a couple of Sheepies and best of all a little sun!

Nice day to be out!

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Nice fish Walzer’s Dad! I tried my luck saturday evening hoping for an big bite. I did get a couple fish under 20″s before dark, but after the sun set I missed two hits on a k grub in 3 casts. Those were the only bites I found. I did find a bunch of active white bass that provided some fun late afternoon action though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.