Pool 2 – The Switch is on.

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The heavy rains in south central Minnesota were starting to wash through pool 2 over the weekend. Almost reminded me of the spring mud-wash we get every year from the Minnesota river. By late Sunday there was an excessive amount of trees, sticks, grass, trash and mud coming down river. Water temp remains in the 62 to 64 degree range. Water lever is up about a foot and the flow is kicking along at 3-4 mph in many areas.

I did manage to get out for a few hours on Thurs, Sat and again on Sunday. Thursday was about as perfect a night you could ask for. Both weather and water conditions. I was set up on one of my go-to wing dams and had just stuck into a nice 25 incher on a bomber at sun set. Thought that may have been the only fish on that dam but continued casting thinking I’d finish the night there. (OK, I was lazy and didn’t feel like pulling the anchor and moving!) Two more cast and I tie into a heavy fish that starts running upstream on me! Two, maybe three minutes later I have convinced myself I have a catfish on the line. But still having fun here I take my time and play the fish to the boat and eventually into the net. WOW – HUGE – FREEK OF NATURE – BIG EYE!!! Now, here I am, alone. One of the biggest walleyes I have had in the boat for a couple of years. Beautiful fish. Normally when you see these older river hogs they look like they have been through the ringer a few times. Torn tails, missing scales, bite marks missing eyeballs….. But this fish was pristine. I lay her on the judge and the tail flops about an inch past the end of the 30 inch end of the ruler. I made one attempt at a self portrait (that I totally botched) and quickly as possible let the fish swim away. This is only the second 30+ incher from pool 2 to see the inside of my boat. I lost another one a few years ago that I’m sure would have broke that 30 inch mark but spit the hook boatside. Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Saturday, after waiting out the morning thunderstorms my brother and I hit the water about 7:30am. Starting out where I had left off on Thursday. The flow had increased and the water was a little more muddy. Early signs of the Minnesota starting to wash through. We pounded this dam with cranks for about an hour and set off to check other spots. Spot number two was no better, still no fish on cranks. Convinced there was still a fish or two on spot number one, we headed back. I decided to toss the anchor and work the middle of the dam over with plastics. The switch paid off immediately as I tie into a nice 27. That fish came on a green BFT paddletail, black jig head. We put 2 more sub 20 inch eyes and 4 white bass in the boat from that dam. At about 11 we headed back to spot number 2 and worked that area over from and anchored position also switching over to paddletails. That move brought one more fish to the boat. Another plump pool 2 twentyfive incher.

Back down Sunday morning only to find the river really turned into garbage disposal. As I mentioned above, trees, trash and mud! YUK. The increased flow and decreased visibility had but the kibosh on my bite. It will be 3-4 days before things push through assuming we don’t get any more gully gushers!

On a side note, the duck hunters on lower pool 2 are getting a few birds. The pelicans are migrating through and the jet skis are gone!

-J.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

nice fish and report. that really sucks about not getting the pic of that hog

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the report, Jon!

It sounds like you could use a camera man/anchor mate ! Nice fish. I noticed as early as last Thursday that the water was looking muddy.

30+ inches, wow what a fish. Congrats!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very nice Walleyes Jon

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Great Pool 2 report and pics Jon.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Congrats on that rare 30″+ fish, Jon! I’m really hoping that I’ll get to meet her, too!

fredbart
    St. Paul

Thanks John! Makes me excited to get back on Pool 2, I have a nunch with increased flow and after things settle down its going to be a great fall on the river. Can hardly wait!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Great job Jon, really nice eye…I think you can put the shorts away now, by the weather forcast.

dead-weight
    prescot wi

nice fish jon plan on hitting pool 2 nexx week ya should join me terry

superdave
    NE IA

Nice report, and nice job on the big girl. How many over 30 have you pulled out of pool 2?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Great job Jon, really nice eye…I think you can put the shorts away now, by the weather forcast.

Yea, I have a feeling that was the last weekend in shorts!

Quote:

nice fish jon plan on hitting pool 2 nexx week ya should join me terry

Sounds like a plan, Terry!

Quote:

Nice report, and nice job on the big girl. How many over 30 have you pulled out of pool 2?

One other 30 in the boat. That was 3 years ago. Lost another 30+ at the side of the boat. That was 7-8 years ago. All three times fishing solo…..

I was just excited to finally feel that “Thump” at the end of a line casting jig/plastic. Been a while. I guess that’s the main point of the report. I had been on a pretty consistent crank bite for the last couple months. The “Switch” over to plastics really paid off last weekend. Even with the water temps still up, that jig bite is taking off on schedule. Also, dropping the anchor and working over the area instead of keeping on the move put a couple extra fish in the boat.

-J.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Congrats Jon!
    Thats a wonderful feeling isn’t it!
    Good job and thanks for the report. I was curious to see what the recent downpours were going to do to the river on Pool 2. I guess I do not have to worry about getting down there anytime real soon.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Had to read back threw your report of not getting a photo of your fish. I blotched photos today of a 28 and 29″er taken off the same wingdam. Took photos on the new cell phone but I guess I needed to save them before closing the phone. As far as fat walleyes go there is nothing that compares to a river walleye. As far as the river goes there is still good flow and plenty of muddy water. Good walleyes biting also.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Bummer on the pics, but congrats on the two piggies. Good to hear the bite is on. Care to share any details on presentation?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Picked up those 2 pitching to a wingdam. Got 4 this afternoon on purple white ringworms. The 29 hit a white and pink croaker curtail. 1/4 and 3/8 jigheads. I wouldnt think color right now would be as important as getting your baits very close to these fish. Cant believe they can see much farther than we can into this water. Cant believe they would be able to chase a quiet bait like a plastic to far either with out loosing track of it. Getting that lure to tickle right past there nose I think is key.

Fishing proven spots is what i worked today. Water conditions are not that much different than the spring bite so I focused on areas that held fish this spring. In these areas I started by working the top of the dam casting towards the shore and letting the lure sweep across the top towards the tip of the dam (short dam). As I felt confident that there was nothing there that wanted my lure I would start to cast farther up stream of the dam and let the lure sweep again across the face but deeper on the dam. What finely got my big fish to go today was that after working the top and higher part of the dam from the back of the boat I moved to the front of the boat to continue. From the back of the boat I just didnt feel like the lure was getting in the right spot deeper down on the dam. Moving to the front of the boat and casting the 28″er hit on the 3rd cast. A 22″er came a few casts after that. Then switched to a hair jig and missed a fish pretty quick. At this point I figure I better offer that missed fish one more lure before leaving and it worked. The 29″er swallowed a croaker curtail. Ive caught a lot of big fish on pool 2 but catching 2 real big girls like that so close together was a real treat.

I fished 2 other proven spots today but never did feel like I got the boat or lures put in there right. Reanchored twice on the one spot but still couldnt get my lures to where I wanted them. A change of jig weights may of helped in these areas also. The one dam has a lot of flow on it you need to get threw to get into the pocket at the bottom. Some days its not so picky but others you need to get the lures in there in just the right way.

Thats some of my thought on this. Im sure it was either this or i just got lucky and pulled up on the right dam at the right time. Either way it was a very fun afternoon.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

Thanks Mike,
    You described it well-I got it! I think you are making your own “luck” by doing a number of things right. I hope to get out next week a few times. Hopefully, I can find a piggie or two myself.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

Thats some of my thought on this. Im sure it was either this or i just got lucky and pulled up on the right dam at the right time. Either way it was a very fun afternoon.

I always thinks its better to be lucky than good anyday!
    Nice work Mike. Looking forward to getting down there next week for the entire fall bite. I have been so focused on the smallies all summer and fall, I kind of lost track of time with the cooperative smallies lately. However my sections of smallie waters that I have been fishing has slowed quite a bit now with cooling waters and I am in the midst of a transition and EXCITED!
    See you guys down there and save a couple for me.

Also….I have scaled my guide trips down to a bare minimum this fall/winter to allow more time to “play fish”. So if any of you want to hop in or vice versa….just throw me a PM and lets do it!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.