Pool 2 Activity

• BShimp
    Hudson, WI

Thanks DaveB and Rivereyes for the info you shared with me. I managed to sneak out for a couple hours yesterday afternoon. I put in at a landing near Lily Lake and spent just a short time at the wingies near the launch. Nothing happened on a jig and minnow so I headed to the dam. The jig bite was slow although I did get a few bites and caught very small (6″) eyes and a couple smallmouth. Switched to spinner rig and that paid off. Immediately caught sauger and walleye. Bite wasn’t great but it was steady. From the down river side of the island below the dam in the current break was productive and also the inside bend across from Minnehaha down river a couple hundred yards paid off. Most fish were 14-16″ and mostly saugers. Did manage to catch a very chuncky 16″ smalley. Best part of the day…The leaves seemed to be in full color and it was beautiful fishing in that setting! Water temp was 63 and fish came out of 8 – 11 feet.

One question…Can anyone reccomend a launch? I looked at Harriet Island and couldn’t find the one that is supposed to be there. The one I used wasn’t bad but thought there might be other options.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Best for Dam is Hidden Falls right off of Miss River Blvd. Also, if you are coming from the south, Lillydale is very good and probably only 3 miles from the dam. Exit on 13 and go east, take the 1st right turn (I think its the 1st) which should bring you around a cloverleaf. The road takes a sharp right at a yacht club. The landing is about 1-2 miles down. The nice part is there is a bait shop 2 miles past the landing. This will put you on the river just downriver of the MN river confluence.

I always use Hidden Falls, my friends from Burnsville use this one in Lillydale.

I am planning on fishing this area Sat-anyone else?

JimW
    SE MN

Geez, how many Pool 2 forums do you guys need? lol Might as well start up your own page just for pool 2 eh?

Jim W

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Fished Pool 2 last weekend. Pulled cranks from 2:30-6:30pm from the confluence to Ford Dam. Not great. 2 17-19″ eyes, 1 2-3lb striped bass, 1 4-6lb northern, 4-5 small smallies. All the action happened in about a 1 to 1 1/2 hour span. The fish seemed to be spread out and on the move. I marked fish everywhere, but no large numbers anywhere. The eyes came right next to a deeper 18′ hole. I dont know if it was the seasonal changes or the cold weather that changed the pattern

Next time out I will probably try jigging too. It was plenty cold-fall is here.

jfish

DaveB

You should have been on the river in the same place at 7am…nice and warm….anyway I hit big, big white bass at the Highway 5 bridge. Fish ran 2 to 3 pounds. They would only hit fatheads and wouldn’t touch trolled raps. But…the minute the bait schools disappeared so did the stripers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.