River Conditions and Fishing

• OldCoot
    Cedar Rapids, IA

The wife and I are coming up tomorow to fish Pepin. How are the water conditions and fishing the last couple days? We would like to pull cranks. Is the water clean enough to do this? I will be sure to give a report when we get back. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old Coot

bkman
    Wisconsin

The water is up. There’s some floating debris, but for the most part you should be able to cast and/or troll. I was down there last night and was casting the shoreline rip rap with a fat rap. Caught one on the first cast and lost 1 or 2 other small fish. I don’t troll, but I’ve heard that boats are catching fish doing that. I’m no expert on Lake Pepin, but that’s what I saw.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I was out yesterday, the trolling bite was good. The debris in the river is starting to clear up from what it was a week ago when the water was really rolling. Right now is a perfect time to troll the lake and cover a bunch of water trying to find active fish. Perch and firetiger #5 shad raps have been good to me on the last few trips. look shallow, 12′ of water or less

Make sure you let us know how you do.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Which landings can be used on the Wisconsin side of Lake Pepin when the water is high?

OldCoot
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Thanks guys for the information. I will definately give a report when I return. I do have one more question. Is the ramp at Frontenac usable?

Again, thanks for the info,

Old Coot

riverdawg

I used the ramp at Frontenac last saturday with no trouble. Water’s come down a bit since then, so you should have no trouble.

mustbefishing
    Ladysmith, WI

What are my chances of finding a sandy beach near Lacupolis to pitch a tent on this Sunday? Is the water still that high or is it down enough to camp on the shore?

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

The water is dropping, but still might be a bit high for the immediate LaCupolis area. There are certainly some man made dunes in the immediate Wabasha area that would always be dry. Not sure if the “hole” is still there…just above Wabasha on Wi side – result of dredging…very protected.

LeoKam
    Camp Lacupolis, MN

Diagonally across from Lacupolis. Water levels have been dropping the last few days. Try the sandy stretch at the south end and the middle part where the 2 tallest trees are. If you camp, look for any of my lures hung up in the bushes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.