Post Spawn

• OldCoot
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Hello everyone. I have a couple questions for those of you who fish pool 4. First, I would like to thank all of you for these wonderful reports. I have been reading the reports for that last few months and have found this site to be extremely helpful.
    Now for the questions. Are the majority of walleye and suager in post spawn? Second, how long on pool 4 before the fish start becoming aggresive again. Do the fish migrate and stack at the head of the lake during this period. I have fished Bay City and Maidon Rock flats in the past, but not until mid and late May. Do the walleye begin showing up in these areas before that time?
    I am trying to put another trip together soon, and want to pick a time when there is an active bite.

Thanks for any information.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I was down to the resort today for 30 minutes and in that time I saw one PRE-spawn 10 Lber headed for the wall and heard of another a bit smaller that was released. Not all the fish are in pre-spawn yet so areas that were producing fish last week should still have some fish on them now.

We have been picking up some post-spawn fish as well. Down from the dam some ways. I would bet a dollar that the head of the lake, bay city flats and the shorelines at the head of the lake should be holding post-spawn fish right now. Don’t buy into the post spawn lull theory. The fish move around quite a bit and it’s the finding them that the hard part. Once their found, they usually bite… even just coming off the spawn.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.