Small Rapalas

• john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Hey guys, got a crankbait question for ya’ll. My wife just came home from a yard sale with a box full of crankbaits, new in the box, for me. They are Rapala Countdowns, Floating Raps, and a few Shad Raps. They are mostly size 5, and quiet a few size 3. I am really new to cranking ‘eyes and am wondering if and when these small sizes would be most useful. She bought them from an old river rat who said they are all he ever uses. I have been using Wally Divers and deeper divers of several types, but all considerably bigger than these new baits. I have had some success trolling and fishing wings with 5 and 7 jointed and floatings Rapalas, but would sure appreciate any input on how and when to best use these small baits. I have never uses sinking/countdown cranks, how do you work them? This site is awesome, thanks in advance for any and all advice.

By the way, I see we have a new guy on board for Pools 14, 15, and 16. Pool 14 is my home water….welcome aboard Kensyl!

Hey, I just noticed I’m a “Regular” guy now, cracking open a cold one as I type!!!

Edited by Rooster on 07/20/01 11:58 AM.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I actually use 3’s and 5’s on aggressive schools of sunnys and crappies in the spring. They love ’em! I know #5 Shad Raps get a lot of recognition in the posts here so I’m assuming that they are a good walleye choice.

The countdowns are good for working a hole and you use them just how their name indicates. You count them down. The smaller ones drop at a typical rate of 1-1.5 feet/sec. and if you know you’re in 20ft. of water, just do the math and count it down. If you have a finder, go for the indicated depth of the shown fish. If not, start with a shorter count and make a series of tries to find your biters. Once you dial them in, it’s time to find out how many takers you’ll have! Of course, there are many other things you can do with these so I too am looking forward to hearing from some of the other guys and their experiences.

Kudos to your wife for coming home with such a gift!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Rooster,

Your wife bought you junk. I recommend you immediately mail any and all rapalas she purchased to me. I would be doing you a favor to take such unwanted waste off your hands. OK, OK, you’re not falling for this.

These are all great lures, maybe on the small side for my personal preference, but they still have place in the tackle box. I’ve found times when the eyes want a smaller bait, the problem is getting the floaters down, time to pull out the 3way rig. This has proven to be a very deadly method for me in high current areas holding fish. I usually run a 12-18 inch dropper and a 6′ snell to the rap. This all depends on the size of the rap, how snaggy the area is. The amount of weight is determined by the amount of current I’m fishing. I’m sure there are a lot of other applications you’ll find to use these lures. If not, just send a private message and I’ll get you my mailing address.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Ive had good luck with the smaller floaters in the cold months when the water is clear and the fish have been pounded by “jiggers”…. sometimes pulling these little minnow baits slowly up river on 3 ways and letting them flutter in the fishes face is just the ticket…. Ive found they usually prefer nuetral colors like perch or silver or gold…..

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I just had to add that my wife got a shoe box full of these Rapala’s for $25! The price tags were still on the boxes of most, and I think they must be from 1975 or so. $2-3 on the tags. I looked and they are considerably more than that now in local stores. She also found me about 35-40 floating, jointed, and shad raps a couple months ago for $2 apiece. I GOTTA KEEP HER!!!! Thanks for your replies so far. Waterfowler, I think I better keep them for now anyway. She might think I was unappreciative if I shipped ’em off right away!

I need to try them out on my favorite trolling area. Full of eyes at times, and usually holds a lot of Bluegills as well in low current like we now have. I’ll dig out the 3 ways and give ’em a drag!

RiverEyes, they are almost all silver, gold, or perch colors. I told my wife the old timers usually know what works and when they are selling out, buy what they have. She has not disappointed me! Thanks Guys!

walleyeguy
    Elk River,MN

Make sure you check the (lips) on the baits. I heard someone was selling a buch of raps that had bent lips from sitting in hot open boat & they wouldn’t run straight. Hope thats not the case but might take a look before you mix them in with the rest of your gear. Scott!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.