POOL 8 SAUGER AND WALLEYE

• HOOSIER
    West Salem, Wi.

Fished pool 8 at the dam today, 7:30am to 10:30am. Drift fished 15-23 ft. water, 1/4 oz. jig and minnow combination, color did not seem to matter. Good mix of walleye and sauger, every drift 2-3 fish per drift. The action was good, and the weather was excellent, for early January.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hoosier

How was the size running and can you comment on the sauger to walleye ratio? Mostly ‘eyes or more sauger?

Thanks much!

HOOSIER
    West Salem, Wi.

Size on the sauger was from 10-16 inches. The ratio on fish was 2-1, sauger to walleye, did get 2 walleye 23 and 24 inches, c_r, no camera, 4 lb. test stren and fireline vertical jigging.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

If the fishing was anything like it was Monday the 30th of Dec., the fish were running small. I watched a lot of other boats and never saw a fish of any size get boated. My father had 2 fish that were keepers. One was a 13″ sauger and the other a 16″ walleye. He caught his on a plain hook and minnow. They both lived to fight another day.
    There was a boat fishing just south of the float in front of that 1st wingdam and they were keeping busy with lots of small fish. We tried it long enough to determine that they were mostly small(8-13″) walleyes with some sauger mixed in. There was not much I didn’t try. I even broke out my hand painted Jigging Raps to no avail. I did catch fish on super doos and some other plastics.
    I bought some Electric Grape w/ shad bottom doos and they worked the best. Bobs Bait & Tackle had a fantastic selection of doos.
    We lasted about 4 hrs and then determined that L & D #7 was a good place to be from We fished from a little before 1:00 until just after 4:00. We did catch a lot of fish. Just not the ones we were hoping for. Oh well.
    On a side note, I got a report that the panfish are biting in the bay under the I-90 bridge. I had a cousin over there and him and his boy caught 23 nice sunnies. There has been I fair amount of people(4-6) there on a daily basis. You can only get there by boat. Then walk in through the woods.

Good Luck and enjoy the weather.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.