Red Wing Friday 01/03/02

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Made it out for a while with Pro Staff Don Hanson. We lossed a lot of fish today or maybe I should say we missed a lot of fish today. We launched at Everets around 11:00 and fished untill about 4:30. We caught plenty of fish but lost the only ones that felt like they really had some size to them. We caught fish using knuckle ball jigs tipped with superdoos plain and the same jigs tipped with minnows. Don is very good at boat control and keeping things verticle. I was trying to use two rods but ended up with just one. My best bait of the day proved to be a willow spoon tipped with a minnow. I used two 1/8 oz rubber core sinkers about a foot away from the spoon and just kept it near the bottom. These spoons look great in the water. I don’t know what the color is but it’s kind of a prism of colors reds and greens. I think this is the larger size. The lure itself is 1.5 inches long. I sure would like to have some of these in a 3 inch variety. They are so light that they don’t take much movement of the rod to get them dancing. These lures are availble in the EFN store in a kit but can a person just order this size and color. What do you think Dave? See attached photo for color of lure with a walleye attatched to it. Not a large one but I caught lots and came home with supper. Thanks for taking me out Don. Steve

leinieman

Just thought I would say thanks for getting your hands wet so I could take that photo. Heres a shot of just the spoon that I was using. Steve

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Steve, did you guys try casting shallower for walleye or was most of your time spent jigging the deeper stuff for sauger? Just wondering if this bite is still going since I was last out.

Thanks!

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Hey Steve wait until you try running them on a shorter three way rig with a leech when the water warms up. They work good Iv’e got some of Daves original willow’s.. I like the smaller ones three-waying with live bait. Good luck in 2003. Sounds like you had a good day!

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey Steve
    was just wondering if you were telling us old fishing Memories or if you just put the wrong year on your title.
    sorry just noticed it and had to say something LOL
    talk to you later
    Nate Cadwell

leinieman

We mostly targeted around 20 feet or so. Don will have to answer how deep as his eye’s were on the electronics. We tried just a little shallow water but nothing hit. There were a few others out and it seemed as most were fishing at the Y, or up by the wing dams by the dam or down by the Vermillion. sp? I stuck around home this morning as my wife was out of town and I had to let our pooch in and out. Don may have an update for you as he went back out today. I left home to try some ice fishing on Pepin around 1:00 or so and didn’t do any good. People were out on the lake by the Pickle Factory (Pepin City) and they had some gills and a few bass so I kept driving to Stockholm. I went out by the park and fished of the tip of the rock point that sticks out there. There is a bouy there and I was withen 15 yards of it. There was about 8 inches of ice and 24 feet of water where I was. I may give it another try in the morning. It looks like it should be a good spot. Anyone have any tips for ice fishing this area or others? I use those willow spoons in the summer also Reefrunner but thought I would give them a shot Friday and they worked great. I tried the same one today ice fishing but they didn’t want it or anything else. I was keeping it vertical today. LOL Steve

leinieman

Thanks for pointing that one out Nate!! I’ll try and remember that it’s 2003 from now on. LOL We all get an oops now and then. Steve

Don Hanson

Dustin,
    We did hit some shallower water but did not tie into anything. Like Steve mentioned the nice “misses” we were having kind of kept are interest deep. I did put more effort into shallower sand areas today but did not produce any big fish.
    See ya on the water, Don

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

Great photo!

The more I look at it… I think the color to be the Chartreuse/Silver Hologram…. but it is hard to tell it from the Blue/Silver Hologram in the sun light. They are very close in color. I sent your post to Joe Puccio of Bait Rigs, who makes my Walleye Willospoons for me. Perhaps he’ll be able to tell us for sure.

You may order any Willospoon you want in bulk instead of by the kits…. it just takes longer to get. I have the kits here (in Owatonna) on hand. Bulk items, I have to get from the factory/Bait Rigs Company in Madison, MN. That runs a few more days in the shipping end. Price is the same…. about $10.00 for five Walleye Willospoons plus shipping (& tax if you reside in MN).

Dave “Hoggie” Hoggard

leinieman

I’m thinking its one of their special new fire colors but I looked at their site and couldn’t find any photo’s of their new Fire Colors.We’ll see what they come up with. Thanks for checking this out for me. I will be ordering some of these in the near future. All I could think of was a northeren coming along and (CHOMP) there’s goes the only one of those I have.

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

leinieman
    Joe Puccio said he thought it was the Chartreuse (Fire Willospoon) which is the Silver/Chartreuse Hologram.
    Let me know if you want some in bulk…
    I like that color….but I like the “Glow” beter…..remember to try the Glow too…. it is the only color that has any real color in low light or dark stained water. And it screams! Blink / blink / blink…. like a neon sigh in the water… says “EAT AT leinieman’s”
    EFN has the only Walleye Willospoon Glow Kits (assortment of sizes)…. Bait Rigs does not offer one.
    “Hoggie”
    Dave Hoggard

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.