saugers still going on 4??????

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey guys,
    just wondered if the bite is still on on pool 4. have the whole week off and i’m trying to decide wether to go ice fishing or brave the elements in a boat.

let me now how its been going.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Jake,

I have not had the chance to get out since last Monday but have talked to others who have made it out saying that fishing is still pretty good. Sorry I don’t have a good line on what the hot bait has been. Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it out until the new year.

If you do get out let us know how it went.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

If a descent mild day shows up, and I think anything for temps in the 20’s is pretty good, one would have to head to the river. Even if the bite is not gangbusters, it is just about always very descent. Steve at Evert’s will ALWAYS tell you what’s going on and what’s working. give him a call. If there is a chance to get out in the boat, why would you want to drill a few holes ? if you go let us know how you did. good luck. Jack.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i tryed the ice fishing thing today. that was no good at all. i’m almost 100% sure i’m going out on friday. sounds like a nicer day as far as temps go (mid 30’s maybe).

i’ll keep you posted how i do.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Sorry I haven’t posted for awhile. I have been away from the resort since Sunday and won’t be back till Friday morning. When I left there were plenty of sauger being caught. Tons of em actually, but to be honest, at that time…..it was hard to get much for size. People were catching a limit of keepers, but it took all day. The 10-14 inchers are everywhere it seems, but the larger ones have went into hibernation for the most part right now. I’ll let ya know whats happening later this weekend. Just in case anybody is wondering about getting in at the resort. I do have a buddy watching the place and he will be open X-mas day to sell minnows or whatever ya need. Good Luck and feel free to post how ya do this week. Thanks.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Two of us from PdC are thinking on going up tp Everets Thursday morning….Who’s got the latest and greatest report ??

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Im hoping to head to pool 4 tommorrow..(Friday the 27th) anyone got an open seat?… would be better for me to hitch a ride.. cuz I have to pick up a trailer in the area for the return trip…..

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i was down this morning (thursday).

started fishing at a little before 8:00 up around the dam. only one other boat out. not much biting from 8-10:00. only caught one fish around the dam area. i don’t think that we were using the right thing though because the other boat was catching. at 10:00 we moved down below the Y and started to catch some. caught about 20 or so from 10 until 12:00 when we left.

the size of the fish was nothing impresive but it was still fun to get out again. i’d go everyday if i could. oh well, maybe this weekend.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Jake, Its ”great” to see a young person like yourself into fishing and taking part in the sport you love by sharing, posting and asking questions to learn even more. What worked and didn’t work for you on your outing? What kind of a boat do you fish out of so we can recognize you on the water? Thanks and keep catching and posting. Bill

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

we used jigs w/ twisters and minnows for the most part. about 11:00 i hooked into somebody elses old line, there was a purple ringworm on it so i used that. that seemed to work the best. before that though it seemed like the darker the color the better. black worked much better then chartruse.

as far as my boat goes, i don’t really have one. my dad has one and lets me us it. its a camo duck boat, pretty good size though and with a 25hp motor it can zip around pretty good. that boat’s in storage now though so the only way i can get out in the winter is if i can coax my friend to take his boat. thats what we used yesterday but he got pretty cold so i don’t now how much winter fishing he’ll be willing to do anymore.

i knew once i got my picture up there that someone say something. i love fishing and do it as much as possible. and i’m more than willing to post reports as long as everyone else keeps doing it too

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

We fished today (Friday) from about 8AM until 2PM, what an AWESOME day on the water. If I could figure out how to attach a picture I’d do that, help somebody please… I was the one breaking in the new Yamaha 4 stroke 25 on the Lund Rebel. It had all of 5 minutes on the motor when we left Evert’s Resort and it felt like a 9.9 instead of a 25 but a couple of hours later it was starting to loosen up, the jury is still out on whether I sized it right.
    As for fishing, in a word…phenomenal!!! From the time we hit the dam area in the morning until about 11:30 the bite was fast and furious. We did not boat a legal walleye but got to examine at least 50 of them in the 14 to 14-7/8″ range! Nice fat fish, appear to be doing well over Winter so far. We were actually after some sauger and were not disappointed with that bite either. It took about 5 fish in the boat for a keeper to show up but we caught at least 100 for our time on the water. Fish into the boat were generally not more than 2 minutes apart…what a blast! People were very courteous regarding boat control and wakes and it made for a great day. I tried SuperDoos from the getgo and found the bite to be slow in the deeper water (20-28′) whereas the jig/minnow bite was very fast. Steve at Evert’s had the ramps in perfect shape whereas some I talked to on the water who launched at the public site off the highway grumbled at the ice they had to break and the slippery conditions. Overall, a great day on the water and I’d have to nod that the sauger bite is still going STRONG.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Here is a quality pic from LundgEYE. And thanks for the update on the sauger bite !!

Jigmaster
    Superior,Wis

Where did you find the fish? At the dam or below the Y or somewhere else. Planning on being at everts at about 9am sunday if the weather looks good. Thanks for the help.

Jigmaster

Don Hanson

Jigmaster,
    Just got off of pool 4. good numbers of fish both at the dam and the Y. Numerous small fish but it was not a problem getting a few eaters. In the afternoon we got away from the crowd just downstream from the Y. We were working an area from 16ft to 20ft, the action was a little slower but we boated all eyes there. It seemed that everything was catching fish.The key for me was to keep switching presentation and colors. Good luck Sunday, and let us know how you did.
    Don

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Don….
    Im wondering if thats a sign of pressure… Ive seen that bite before.. where you have to switch colors and presentations often….. and it always seem its after the fish have seen a lot of pressure….. you gotta show them something different… which gets REALLY hard after a while….

richardsmith
    Owatonna Mn 55060

Don, See you on the water Sunday ! Hope we have as good luck as you. We will be in a blue C/liner w/ 125 Merc and FTR decal on port/starboard stern . We will be fishing south bend hole deep trying to coax a few larger eyes out !!

Richard (Smitty)

keep a tight line !!!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for posting my pic Dave, I need to learn how to do that. If you look carefully you will see iceberg sheets in the foreground of that picture..they are relatively clear but some as big as the boat. You could see them splashing over the dam from the other side. The fishing for us was best from the legal spot at the dam to about 200 yards down. Most of what was good here was the icebergs were also tending to not bother us so bad. We fished below the Y later and found lots of huge bergs there, and the lock area looked like it had a lot of pack ice up that way. We headed over to hay creek and fished the deeper water there and found some soft bites but not the action we had expected (or hoped for).
    I plan to fish Sunday again, and will once again be swapping plastics around to see if I can find a hot color. Weather is supposed to be good, and I’ll take some more pics if anything interesting pops up. The Eagles were awesome Friday, dropping onto the water for fish and playing all sorts of Eagle tunes for us. Hard to find a better time than what we had.

Don Hanson

Rivereyes,
    Thats a good point, with the great fishing that going on if you are not hooked up every 2 minutes somethings wrong. Jig color, tail color, doos to ringworms, I kept switching they kept biting.
    See ya on the water, Don

Don Hanson

Richard,
    Let me know how you do, I will be back on the water Monday.
    Don

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

any boat space on Monday? just wondering.. I MIGHT be able to take a shot at it…. I never really know till almost last minute…

Don Hanson

RiverEyes,
    I do have an opening Monday, I will pm you about details.
    Don

richardsmith
    Owatonna Mn 55060

Don Sunday we hit the water about 7:00 am, went south to the rip-rap in front of the park 24/30 ft water, all shakers except two 15-1/2″ eyes. About 20 fish taken there, slipped further south fished the hole at the bardge tie-up picked up a few larger sauger, left a few jigs, slipped further south fished the channel, caught a few more on the east side drop past the bridge. Checked the warm water discharge marked alot of fish but no takers. Had to leave early ! See ya again !!!

Richard (Smitty)

Keep a tight line !!!

Don Hanson

Thanks Richard,
    Over 20 fish for a short trip, not bad. I got out about 10:00 on Monday and started out at the y. The quantity was not there like Friday but the size was better. Mostly eyes too. Weatherwise it looks like we will have the opportunity to get out this weekend again. Today minnows produced better than plastics. I did not get a chance to talk to Steve when I left Everts. Steve, how did everyone else do?
    See ya on the water, Don

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.